F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jaybart, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That sounds like a good affordable modification, Ken. My Challenge car retains its stock Y-Pipe as mandated by regulations. But it's noisy nonetheless. :)

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Chris. I just watched both of your videos. Fabspeed headers, test pipes, and OE Y-Pipe with Capristo 2?

I have to agree with Elliot on his assessment. Those 4-1 Fabspeed headers REALLY killed the F1 Scream. Doesn’t seem to be screaming at all really. Robb really messed up putting those Fabspeed headers on hehe :). Robb, you missed out!! I have stock headers , straight pipes, stock Y pipe and my car sounds WAY crazier than yours. I would say 3-5x crazier. In both wired or non wired bypass setups.

Before you do anything else, get good OE headers or Tubi headers!

I always had doubts about people mentioning a 4-1 header on the 355 killing the F1 scream. You would think it would enhance it. Having watched your videos, I’m convinced it’s true.

MAD828 likes this.
  3. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Correct on the setup...Fabspeed headers, test pipes, OEM y-pipe and Capristo 2/3.
    I had always heard the same regarding the Fabspeed headers. My '97 had OEM headers and the Nouvalari Supersport and sounded amazing. I was disappointed with the sound of this car by comparison (though it does feel significantly faster than my '97, but that's a different can of worms for a different thread)
    I have ordered a set of the Tubi headers and will install them when I do the major. I'll be sure to take a video clip and post it for comparison.

Side note, checked the vacuum lines tonight in sections, and everything held vacuum, so I assume that part of the system is functioning properly. The "poor" sound is either due to the headers, or something with the ECU not opening the electrovalve early enough.

ShineKen likes this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You will love the Tubi headers. Do you have WhatsApp? Can send a video of how the car will sound with that setup.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Even with your bypass wired open, the sound is not proper. I’m gonna put my money on the Fabspeed headers being the culprit. A 95 straight piped (even with OE Y-pipe) Capristo with bypass wired open should UNDOUBTEDLY sound and feel glorious. Like... better than anything else Ferrari has put out since.

DaisyCutter and MAD828 like this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes it does close if you shut the throttle down.
    The analagy above is correct thoughand that was why i said about 2500 rpm i can open and close it b6 throttle position.
    Floor it and it opens, back off all thewayit closes so his system is not working correctly

And yes i have a twin valve system ona 5.2 so two valves one for each bypass.

ShineKen likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Here's another "date point" just for you...

Our good friend Simon (in Australia) just got a Nouvalari Supersport for his 95B. He has straight pipes and an MS-Racing Y-Pipe (just like Mad828's). Here's how the conversation between him and I went 2 weeks ago.

Simon: "Just got a Nouvalari for dirt cheap. Looks like an exact ripoff of Capristo."

Me: "No way. You serious? Would be a crazy deal if it sounds the same."

Simon: "Not sure about sound yet, but stay tuned."

Last night...

Me: "How's the Nouvalari?"

Simon: "It's good. Nice deep tone. Capristo kills it though (I'm going to assume he heard Elliot's Car)."

Me: "So it's not a Capristo for half the price?"

Simon: "No Way"

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Lol! Simon pulled up next to me at the lights and his mouth was on the floor mat hahaha. He said and I quote the Capristo is worth every cent!

This was a great comparison as his car has identical setup, 95 2.7 the same Y pipe and bypass valve. Only changes are my car has Tubi headers and he has OEM headers and the exhaust is Capristo 2 versus Nouvalari I couldn’t hear his car over mine..

ShineKen likes this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yes. Forgot about the bypass. He also has a Capristo bypass. He also has primary straight pipes, while you have 200 cell cats. Advantage should be in his favor, but looks like Capristo got the knock out win!

I can talk about exhaust systems all day.

taz355 likes this.
  10. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's very interesting. The Nouvalari I had on my '97 was nothing like the dual-chamber Capristo/Tubi Evolution design. It was a single can just like the stock one. I uploaded a pic here. This was from 2014 so it sounds like they changed the design since then.

I've got Tubi headers on order, so will update when I get those installed.
    In the meantime I have been going back and forth with Elliott via PM, and he says his Bypass also opens at nearly 6k RPM in 2nd gear...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #161 ShineKen, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is what he has. It’s not a new one. He got a used one. He did say it seemed louder than the Capristo when bypass closed. At this point, I think it is safe to say the Capristo is one the quietest if not the quietest Exhaust system for the F355 when bypass closed. This needs to change. We need to sign a petition.

12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Oh yes I forgot he has punched out OEM primary catalysts. His car was louder more Tubi like and deep at idle. But has no F1 note up top.

13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The Tubi looks very similar to the nouvalari - it just looks like a single can. It’s how the muffler is built internally that makes it louder on the bypass.

Here are two photos for comparison Capristo VS Tubi Evolution Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Also Chris the 5.2 opens at 6k in second gear, the 2.7 is earlier. The 5.2 and 2.7 have differences in activation. One is more rpm and load the other is more rpm dependent.

ShineKen likes this.
  14. E55amg9965

E55amg9965 Karting

Jun 13, 2012
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey Chris,I think I'm going through the same thing with my 97 355 what's your email?

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Speaking of bypass valves, most know of Capristo and some know of Gothspeed.

I believe Kreissieg also offers one, but not sure if it installs the same way? If it can be made to work, best believe you’re getting a top notch product from Kreissieg.

https://kreissieg.ocnk.net/phone/product/108

Here are some pics compared to a stock one. I like the OE look of the Kreissieg.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    First driving weekend this season in Sweden so I will see how my setup (re-cored metallic primaries and the Capristo 2/3) goes in terms of sound in the lower rev ranges when the valve is open via remote. What I did like in the brief run I gave it when the valve was open across the rev range was the lovely downshift and overrun sounds which I had previously lost when I switched out the Dimex for the Capristo.

In terms of judgement of sound, it depends very much on how good the recording quality and setup is. The Smoking Tire review of Flat Plane Eddie's car a couple of years back sounded pretty decent to me and that had Fabspeed headers fitted. I then heard another recording of that same car and it sounded even better. I have read the 4-1 style can knock a little off the scream, but based upon Eddie's old car it seems nowhere as dramatic a loss as the recordings of Chris' setup would seem to suggest.

MAD828 likes this.
  17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I would agree on the reference to Eddies old car and the YouTube clip. However the noise when it does sound wild is from outside recording with the car coming toward the camera. Also the car is a 5.2 so not directly comparative to Chris’s car. The in cabin noise in the video sounds less impressive but it’s still good.

18. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Fair point Elliot. It's not easy to draw a definitive conclusion. I usually drive with a window open to enjoy a bit of both.

As an aside, I will be in Sydney after Christmas. Would be great to meet up if time and schedules permit.

MAD828 likes this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That guy did not pass the English writing class in high school.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    and cause plug fouling running issues, CEL light and generally not worth the trouble.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Correct. On a 5.2. Another reason 2.7’s should be doubling in price :).

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This is why I love the open bypass. Feels and sounds more natural with unexpected pops and gurgles along the way. Lower rev range sound volume seems spot on. 2.7 car? OE Y-pipe?

It would be nice to get bypass closed sound closer to this natural feel. Tubi Evolution does it. I don’t see why a Capristo couldn’t be made to do the same. A proper bypass transition would allow one to go with a catless Y-Pipe for the ULTIMATE F1 sound in high range without having an obnoxiously loud street car under normal driving conditions. This is the end goal here. Superb F1 sound through all the rev ranges on the best sounding road going Ferrari.

23. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    I did discuss at length with my mechanic the implications of the bypass valve being open (via the remote) outside its normal working parameters. From what I can surmise, the fuel trim levels would only be affected after long periods of time (10-12 minutes) sitting at idle or very low speeds/light throttle loads (please correct me if this is inaccurate). For my personal circumstances and driving habits this would be highly unlikely. When I want the exhaust to perform is when the car is being exercised. The bypass remote on the 2.7 appears to deliver on that. I can't even imagine needing more than the OE Y-pipe at this stage...but I'm more than happy to eat my words.

ShineKen likes this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #174 ShineKen, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Interesting information.

2.7’s seem to run alot richer than they should. Especially compared to 5.2’s. This is probably due to the bigger injectors. So a lil bit of fuel trim could possibly be good for the car.

From reading past threads, my understanding is fuel trim will only occur from incorrect readings from backsliding exhaust gases. It is also my understanding that separate chamber exhausts systems such as Tubi Evo and Capristo do not experience such backsliding. This can be tested with a piece of paper to see if it gets sucked against an exhaust tip.

Just like you, the open bypass, OE Y-pipe + Capristo on 2.7 seems superb to me, but I am
    also more than happy to eat my words to experience a higher level of F1 euphoria.

DaisyCutter likes this.
  25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I keep hearing 2.7's run richer but have yet to see any evidence of that on my car. From cold to hot to wide open throttle air fuel ratios are exactly where they should be.

The only possibility is that they are programmed for richer operation in open loop but once in closed loop (using o2 feedback for fuel trim) it's impossible to be running richer than any other variant unless there is a fault in the system.

ShineKen likes this.