FCA meeting in Scottsdale AZ on Nov 6-10 - yay or nay? | FerrariChat

FCA meeting in Scottsdale AZ on Nov 6-10 - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NYFAIM, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    As a newly minted Ferrari owner living in Las Vegas, I'm thinking of going to the FCA meeting in Scottsdale on Nov 6-10.

Can someone give me a little insight into what the FCA annual meetings are like? I've been to Monterey Car week a few times and love going to see the cars on Ocean Ave, going to the practice days at Laguna, and Concorso Italiano. I haven't stayed for Pebble Beach on Sunday yet. Since I'm not going this year to Monterey, the FCA meeting looks like a good second option.

Is this super crowded like Monterey, or is it easy to get hotel reservations etc?

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated - I am planning on doing the track days if I go!

Howard.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I live in Phoenix and was one of the founders of the Desert Region as well as the 1st regional director and I would rather stick pins in my eyes than go to this.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    elaborate please

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Feel free to PM.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I guess everyone is entitled to their own feelings, but a group of us went to Corning for last year’s meet and we had a blast.

gt1995 and Rifledriver like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The events are what you make of them. That simple. Can be lots of fun....up to you.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m going, & looking forward to it. The key is be a no body & go to enjoy it, not run it & be responsible for it.

8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am going for the first time. Looking forward to the drives before and after

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I joined FCA 2 years ago and have driven to the last 2 annual meetings (Daytona and Watkins Glen). All I can say is my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed both annual meetings. The events are very well organized, everyone we met could not have been nicer and it was a real fun time. I don't know the crowds in Monterey, but I suspect this meet is not nearly as crowded.

We were going to skip this one due to the distance, but once we saw the introductory video at the Watkins Glen gala dinner and saw all that gorgeous scenery, we knew we had to make the trip. :)

bball16 likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Scottsdale and PHX are built to handle massive influx's of tourists/groups for large events. The Ferrari Club national meet is tiny compared to the capacity here. Finding hotels will be easy at all price points. And it won't feel crowded at all at that time of year. (its nothing like the tiny/congested Monterey/Carmel area)

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    im torn with shipping the car there. I have a place to stay close by. but we also have thanksgiving in november at my house, and we just got back from Orlando and went to Italy in june, and now she wants to go to Italy again in 2020. JC!!

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I’m going, this’ll be my first one and looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13. Toby Tyke

Toby Tyke Karting

Nov 15, 2017
    SoCal & Singapore
    Full Name:
    Toby Tyke
    My Wife and I are planning to go. Shipping the car from SoCal. We are also going to use it as a bit of a house hunting trip.

14. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    You will have a good time. Do things you will enjoy and skip then things you are not prepared for. Some things might be too serious for a novice. There are usually 2 rallies. One for fun and one serious...

15. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    I talked it over with my wife, and we've decided we're going to go. The host hotel is already fully booked.

I've a fair amount of track experience so looking forward to that but I've never done a rally - can someone explain what those are all about? Is it like a scavenger hunt type thing?? What's the difference between a fun rally and a serious rally?? Trophies I guess?

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, I booked the host hotel as soon as it became available, otherwise my wife would have made me book the Biltmore!

Shell sponsors a pleasure drive and a rally. I guess this year because of all the great driving routes there will be several pleasure drives. The pleasure drive is just that, you follow a route and leisurely drive through great scenery.

The rally is really the same as the pleasure drive with two exceptions. You follow a set route, but you have a booklet with questions to answer along the route. For example, along the route you have questions like "once you enter the town of Scottsdale what is the first store you see?" or "what is the name of the ranch on route 66?". The second exception is it is timed event. The organizers time the route obeying all speed limits. So it is not a race (you are penalized points for arriving too early, or too late), but if you miss a question and have to double back, you lose time.

For the rally it is critical that you have a top notch navigator. Now in my case my wife is what I call "directionally challenged". So we do the rally, but just for fun and don't worry about answering the questions, it puts too much pressure on her. :D

I think you do get a trophy or something for winning the rally, but that's something I wouldn't know anything about. :(

17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thank you for finally giving me a diagnosis for my wife. I now realize she is Directionally Challenged and not just someone who is always lost

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk