488 - HELE | FerrariChat

488 HELE

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RichV12, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichV12

RichV12 Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    Hi,
    Sorry first post and I'm asking a question...
    Recently picked up my new 488 Spider and whilst I appreciate in the UK the HELE comes as standard, on all the demonstrators I drove, I never had to turn it off. I wonder if the default has been changed so when you start the engine it's set to ON as opposed to OFF. Anyone know?
    (I've asked the dealer - who doesn't know)
    thanks

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    But what's the behaviour on yours? do you need to put it off after each start-up?

3. RichV12

RichV12 Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    Yes sorry, I have to switch it off every time, and of course I forget until I pull up at a junction.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That could be an infortunate adapting to new regulations...
    The owners manual was stating :
    Each time the instrument panel is switched on (KEY-ON), the
    Stop&Start system remains in the same state it was in when
    the vehicle was switched off (KEY-OFF). If the function was
    activated at KEY-OFF, it remains activated at the next KEY-ON
    and the LED on button A will flash for a few seconds.
    You may check whether it's different in the new documentation (in the chapter "About your vehicle", stop and start system).

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    OP it is just a matter of asking your service adviser to have one of the techs to set the default as off. If they can't do that then that's a huge worry.

6. RichV12

RichV12 Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    Service Dept have confirmed that latest models in the U.K. can’t have the HELE switched off. Very annoying.

7. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    All it does is aggravate the hell out of us and give the manufacturers something like 1-1.5 mpg savings for reporting purposes in traffic.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Yesterday another reason to skip 2019 cars... Prior year cars don't have this problem.

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Perhaps they integrate some kind of pre-lube system to help prevent wear damage from all the start/stop? ... If so, more weight, more electronics... More components to try to stuff under the hood.

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thinking on it some more, production starting 1/1/2020 Ferrari will be paying higher fines for CO2 emissions on its cars registered in EU/UK, so, it makes sense that sooner or later all Ferrari models produced for EU/UK must have permanent HELE

As far back as 2010, when HELE was an orderable option on the 458, it was worth ordering in Holland because of the tax savings for the customer..but now it's on the manufacturer...

ref:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/141184757/

12. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    1-1.5 mpg savings is quite significant! The rule is not written for just Ferrari's or exotic cars; the rule is written for all cars...that would save tons in harmful emissions! And, of course, exotic cars cannot be exempted, makes no sense. So, just switch off if you are an exotic owner...the total number of exotic cars and the miles driven is insignificant compared to the sheer number of ordinary cars driven everyday and the consequential emissions /atmospheric pollution.
    Let's all accept emission control and efficiency improvement are must's for anything that contributes to atmospheric pollution.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You contradicted yourself...
    How can you say excluding exotics makes no sense, and then in the very next sentence say the exotic miles driven is insignificant?

Of course exotic sportscars can be exempted.
    HELE is idiotic.

Gh21631 and Solid State like this.
  14. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    How does it make sense to write a general law /rule but then make exceptions for a small segment of it? And how do you define those exceptions? How do you maintain those exceptions? Just turn it off. Simple.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As long as you can still turn it off!!!
    The REAL problem is that there's the new law coming which no longer allows to turn it off. It must be ON permanently and you CANNOT turn it off anymore.
    Just one of the many idiotic new laws.

Marcel Massini

16. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    My 488 spider is HELE and I have turned it of with its button and it stays off for good ;)
    Don't know if they have changed this ;)

17. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    I'm not sure of the latest Ferraris with this system, but I was able to disable the annoying stop start system on my Range Rover by locating a little auxiliary battery that powered it and disconnecting the positive cable. I note that on my wife's new Mercedes it is so undetectable that I haven't tried.

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    They WILL be changing this soon on all new models, in order to meet upcoming governmental mandates.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As said, see post #15.
    New law, HELE must be ON all the time.

Marcel Massini

20. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Is this for all future US models as well (meaning the F8)?

Jim

21. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I believe this is ALREADY in place for US models... my '15 Cali T didn't have it (thankfully) but I drove a '19 Portofino recently and it had it (and turned back on every time you started the car).

Every dealer I've asked about this (not just Ferraris) all say that it's a US law now and the service department is not allowed to permanently turn it off.

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    For EU? Switzerland? UK? USA? All of the above?? And when?!

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    N
    Never heard anything about it. EU suggests rear view camera, rear parking sensors and a lane assist as must haves for all new homologated cars from 2020 on. But no sight of a forced start/stop function...

24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Because it is implied, to meet strictly penalties for excessive CO2 emissions, one way for the manufacturer to reduce these penalties is to force the car to always have HELE (start/stop) engaged:

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/strategies/2020_en

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en

from link above:

A shorter phase-in period will apply to the target of 95 g/km. 95% of each manufacturer's new cars will have to comply with the limit value curve in 2020, increasing to 100% in 2021.

and this:

If the average CO2 emissions of a manufacturer's fleet exceed its limit value in any year from 2012, the manufacturer has to pay an excess emissions premium for each car registered.

This premium amounts to

• €5 for the first g/km of exceedance
    • €15 for the second g/km
    • €25 for the third g/km
    • €95 for each subsequent g/km.
    From 2019, the cost will be €95 from the first gram of exceedance onwards.

these costs are per-car registered in EU, adds up FAST!

for instance, if the car averages 120 g/km, that would be 25 * €95 or €2375 (about $2600 USD)

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Let's not! I have no idea what the mpg is on my F12 and would gladly lose many more for increased power and performance. No one buys a $400k+ exotic for fuel efficiency. I'll best most Ferrari owners would pay extra for an HELE delete option. Let DDs go electric or whatever but let's all accept why we buy exotics and why we want them to remain reliable and rewarding to own.