360 - Impossible to shift when warm (Manual Transmission) | FerrariChat

360 Impossible to shift when warm (Manual Transmission)

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, Apr 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    A while back I noticed that on a long motorway run and the car in 6th gear for an extended period of time, the gear shifter required quite a bit of force to knock it out of 6th and engage other gears.

Slowly this has become a problem when once the car is warm at all, gear shifts are really tight and sometimes impossible to change gear at all.

I've just had my gearbox oil changed in the hope that may solve it, but no difference at all, if anything slightly worse.

Could it be my oil is overfilled and causing too much pressure when warm? Both the last two gearbox oil changes (both different types of oils, the most recent being redline ns), I'be followed the workshop procedure which says to measure and replace the same amount that comes out. My dipstick shoes slightly over maximum when cold.

Or could it be something else? Cables were replaced prior to my ownership 7 years ago but it was fine until a year ago or so. Gear linkages were also greased at my request on last service.

Thanks for any advice.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think there are threads on this, something to do with the gear lever bushing i think. Better parts are available from hill engineering or superperformance. Others on here know more than i do

gt1995 likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Obviously the bushing is a possible cause. There may be air in the line, a failing throwout bearing, an adjustment is needed, etc. You will have to dig into it to find the root cause.

gt1995 likes this.
  4. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks both, I had seen the hill engineering part previously but it didn't sound like the same issues I'm having with the shifting only when warm. Feels more like transmission problem as once the engine cools back down its fine again.

Maybe worth doing to rule out, then I was going to take some oil out to remove the possibility it might be overfilled (if anyone thinks that might be a cause?), then I'm guessing it'll have to be looked at by someone with more experience than me!

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good call to check the fluids. I am not an expert but I think I read that overfilling can/will impact shifting. Good luck.

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check your bushing.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Any dealers local to you ?

8. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    if it's not your bushing, bleed the line to the throw out bearing at the clutch block, you might have air in the line that's causing the TOB to not push on the pressure plate fully, thus having a hard time releasing the clutch and changing gears.

i had a similar problem at high rpm where the pedal was soft and the gear wouldn't disengage. I bled the line at the clutch block and problem fixed

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Didn't the 360 have an issue with leakage at the divider block? I think I remember that from other threads. I think HE makes a different block. IF it is leaking you could have air in the system that way as well.

10. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks all. I already have the Hill engineering block after the original leaked a few years ago and left me stranded on the side of a motorway for four hours.

My nearest dealer is about 3 hours drive away but I have a local guy who is quite competent although is not familiar with common Ferrari problems etc.

Does anyone know if the bushing can be visually inspected? From memory the original is plastic and the HE is steel? For some reason I have a memory of seeing the bushing was updated in my service history somewhere which I guess would rule that out.

11. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The original piece is plastic and in reality under engineered, the HE part is aluminum and far superior. If you attempt to inspect or replace yourself, maybe this video will help.

robertjskelton likes this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    My plastic bushing was visibly worn thin.
    Some people find them cracked.

My difficult shifting went away w the bushing. And I need to let car fully warm up for the sweet shifting.

It’s a little fiddle to do yourself, but I managed w simple tools.

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    We need to make sure we differentiate between "hard to shift" and "hard to get into gear". I went through the whole bushing thing, but I too have a harder time pushing the shift lever around when my car is up to temp than I do when the car is cold. Will check for air in the lines. Thanks

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That and the OP says he has the HE bushing already.

15. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Checkout my thread on adjusting cables - no cost apart from time. In summary try each cable adjuster (behind the gear lever) one way and then the other. Continue with the way it makes progress until there is no more improvement.

16. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Anyone know if the HE bushing would be called "roll pin" or "cable bush" at the "bottom of gear lever"?

On checking my service records, this work was done a few years ago. Unsure whether this is the same as the HE part. The part on the materials is listed as "pin" and "small block"