355 - New carbon parts (engine) | FerrariChat

355 New carbon parts (engine)

Discussion in '348/355' started by schnazzy, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    marioz, Robb, Tifosi Dude and 9 others like this.
  2. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    Have you noticed a difference in induction noise with the CF plenums and air filter box?

3. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Damn where did you find the plenum and side panels? Looks unreal!

F355steve and PeteyP like this.
  4. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #4 schnazzy, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    There is a noise difference (slight) with the GruppeM airbox. The plenums are pretty much exactly the same as the factory so there is no difference as far as noise.

The GruppeM and side panels can be purchased via any authorized dealer. Takes about 4 weeks and about $3700 shipped. (about $2560 for the box, $870 for the sides, and $200-300 for shipping)

The intake plenums and coolant panel are custom. They are solid carbon fiber, not shells wrapped in CF. They are currently the only ones in existence that I am aware of. I can have more made but they are expensive and take 4-6 weeks for a set. The Ferrari script pieces, I put on separately.

MAD828 likes this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That is unbelievable! Very nice indeed.

I really want to try one of those intakes - the 2.7 version looks great IMO.

6. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    It's either 2.7 or 5.2. They are the same from the factory except the vacuum hole underneath is filled in and not used in a 5.2 (from the factory) and this is the same for these CF pieces.

7. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    If anyone is interested in a set PM me. (It might take a couple days to get back to you). I'd need a few people to purchase them before the CF company would make another run for any reasonable amount of money. Figure probably $2500-2700 USD is likely for the 2 plenums and middle piece (4 sets). That is plus shipping and duty etc. CF is never perfect and these are hand done (professionally, vacuum, etc. from a high quality low run mold). The mount is CNC'd aluminium bonded. If you see this after this year (2019) they are likely no longer available so probably a waste of time to post "are these still available", in 2021 ;)

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If anyone is interested in GruppeM carbon engine covers, I have a pair I am willing to sell.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You might be able to get everything the same shade if you clear coat everything and put a slight tint in the clear.

Robb likes this.
  10. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    They use a completely differnet gel/epoxy and method. It has a slight blue tinge which is a slight cloudyness to their resin. There isn't a a good way to match it, but sure I could spray a ver thing black/tint coating and it might or migh not look better. These were in direct sunlight where you can see the difference better.

11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I really like it since it adds some interest to the dull F355 engine compartment. Wonder if it would be better without the center trim? I think it gives more definition to your valve covers. That part always looks like an afterthought. Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That looks sweet!

13. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Does the airbox contribute any more horsepower?

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks schnazzy!

schnazzy and Yassa like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yes. And I have one for sale for a 5.2 brand new.

graeme355 likes this.
  16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  17. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    The GruppeM airbox is supposed to balance the airflow and have less resistance therefore freeing up some HP. I can't imagine it is alot but it looks nice and slightly changes the engine noise at low rpm (a bit more gutteral). The Plenums don't increase the HP they just look nice.

graeme355 likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    They do modernize it I think.

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Cf airbox is supposed to help keep the incoming air from heating up as the engine bay gets hot. If it didn’t increase hp (it does) it would at least help maintain a level of performance.

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would think that at wide open the air is passing through so fast it would not have enought time to heat up but maybe not?

21. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    So I know nothing about the termperature characteristics between steel/aluminium/plastic/and cf, but I will say this. After a hard drive a full temps I measured the temps on the original airboxes and plenums. the CF parts are about 7-10% lower temp (measured at the top) but also know the plenums have a heat capable epoxy and that might be keeping temps down and the airbox, I added gold heat shielding to the bottom of that, plus to the bottom of the heat shield below it (the gruppem shield. That stuff is amazing. pretty sure I got 1 or 2 hp out of it. ;)

To be honest, I didn't buy a 22 year old car (at the time) to be the fastest thing in my garage. I bought it because it is my poster car, I love the sound with the capristo, and it's pretty raw for a modern-ish car. Not even a cup holder. So, would 10hp be better, probably, will it let me beat a Dodge deamon? Nope. Well, maybe around a corner. ;)

Anyway if we can 3 people that want the plenums in CF the company will make a batch. It's likely that this is for 2019 only. If later, it may be quite a few thousand to make a new set of molds and 4-6 months of wait time and then, $2500 a set on top of that. I can't imagine a ton of people want them but if you do, pm me soon.

22. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    Looks awesome! Do you think you shaved some weight?

23. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    No. The CF isn't much lighter than the plastic but with the aluminum trim and many layers of carbon, they are mayby 2lb +/-. Same with the airbox. Maybe +/- 20lb for everything.

Tifosi Dude likes this.
  24. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    JohnsonsMedia, ShineKen and F355Bob like this.