Pinning the exhaust valves | FerrariChat

Pinning the exhaust valves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by steve guess, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve guess

steve guess Rookie

Aug 21, 2018
    Turks and Caicos/ Utah
    Full Name:
    Steve guess
    As far as I have read pinning the exhaust valves open are almost as good as replacing the exhaust from a sound point of view not performance and much cheaper.
    I'm not sure how this is done. Somebody mentioned plugging the vacuum hoses keeps the valves open, is this the same as pinning them open? Has anyone out there had this done or better yet done it themselves?

2. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    That’s all it means, valves are open with no vacuum, disconnected hoses give no vacuum. Make sure you plug the ends.

3. steve guess

steve guess Rookie

Aug 21, 2018
    Turks and Caicos/ Utah
    Full Name:
    Steve guess

Any idea how much louder it would be compared to a catback system at idle and lower rpms? Any draw backs? Does it create any faults or dash lights?

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I unplugged the exhaust bypass valves on my 488 and the improvement is incredible. On my 458, however, with the valves unplugged, exhaust droning at highway speeds was somewhat annoying. So for a 458, I would recommend the use of a bypass valve controller.

Baitschev and johnr265 like this.
  5. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Totally agree with this. On the 488, the big benefit is a nice rumble and volume boost at idle and at lower speeds which helps to add drama and excitement without always needing to go speeds that might lead to ‘go directly to jail, do not pass go, please pay $2,000’ . Agree that the 458 could get a bit boomy. I bought a Forza controller and switched the same one from the 458 to the 488. I really liked it on the 458 and I LOVE it on the 488. I always put it into quiet mode when entering the neighborhood to keep the scowls down so while it is ‘almost’ always open for me, I like the ability to close it as will too. I also usually close it when I am driving past an officer of the law.

I installed it myself in both cars though it’s a tad easier in the 488. Steve provides great customer support as well. No check engine lights in either car. Hope it works in the Pista !

6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I wish I would have just pinned the valves open on my 458. I've not closed them this year. However, I can feel a loss of horsepower with low RPMs in 2nd gear, which doesn't happen often, but is annoying.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    On my 2012 458, pinned valves gave me 105dB at idle and with CA exhaust laws, didn’t want to deal with potential harassment.

From my experience, be sure to ensure you don’t have a vacuum leak or you’ll throw plenty of codes.

8. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    That must be cold start and very close to the back of the car.

9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Sorry for a dumb question, but on thee 458 can't you just put it in Race mode and then when the throttle is aggressively opened it would do mostly the same?

10. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes, but it’s like a switch. If you’re driving regularly (not hard) in race mode, the valve opens and closes with the slightest peddle pressure. It can be annoying because in race mode I’d like it open all of the time.

johnr265 likes this.
  11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    bummer, guess you're just gonna have to go faster!
    /s

bbbenwilliamson and RWP137 like this.
  12. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    I had the Ferrari dealer open the baffles on my 458 Spider. It’s a huge difference at low idle and the sound is awesome.. Yes, its louder but if you like an aggressive and roar like noise then go for it.
    I’ve had no issues at all. My favorite is when starting, roars like a lion....

Ray,