Emergency Preparedness | FerrariChat

Emergency Preparedness

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Wade, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Going through my Spring Pre-planning Checklist, propane for our back-up generator is at the top of the list.

Speaking with Amerigas today, they say that the price per gallon is based on several variables. However, only two of those were provided; "new account pricing" and usage rate (lower price for higher usage).

Note: There is no standardized [daily] pricing. In other words, they use dynamic pricing.

Quote for me today is:
    $2.51 per gallon plus "Will Call" fees (e.g. $10.99 HazMat, $5.95 Fuel Recovery and $7.99 Delivery).

Other than the usual last minute gathering of supplies and incidentals, anyone else have some checklist items to share?

Oh, and can you share your propane price quote as well?

Edit: Price per gallon is actually on the delivery date, not order date.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Having lived for most of my life in a very fire prone and earthquake prone area and where being completely on your own for several days was not only a possibility, it did happen. We had a good sized Pelican case stored where even if the house collapsed we could dig to it without a great deal of trouble. Also having seen first hand the social breakdown that happens when it hits the fan got a few acquaintances mind right on the fact that calling 911 isn't going to do anyone any good.

I had significant ammo and guns for both of us. Water and food that did not require refrigeration for 2 for a week. A way to start a fire. Battery operated radio and flashlights with fresh batteries. First aid stuff and something that will keep you warm and dry. I figured in an inhabited area I could get anything else.

Its going to depend on what sort of emergency is likely in your case.

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Need to check my propane levels. I think I’m at about 65-70%. Thanks for the reminder.

Things I have planned for May and June include:

Tree trimming front and back. Keep the palm trees free of dead palm missiles that can come through a window or a convertible top, and keep the oaks well back from the screen enclosure.

Clean out the gutters.

Fill all the cars with gas and keep them filled till November.

Empty the fridge at the beach place.

Check my stock of batteries. The generator is up and ready to go, but still.

Lots and lots of non perishable foods - cans and dried foods etc. Salmon, tuna, dried fruits, grains. I have three cases of bottled water already, but more wouldn’t hurt.

I’ll probably think of more in the coming weeks.

Wade likes this.
  4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great idea about the Pelican cases - excellent for survivability.

5. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Now Harbor Freight has some excellent Pelicaness style cases too, check them out.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sorry, I just can't buy their junk. They have nothing that comes anywhere near mediocre much less quality.

7. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Lived through Hurricane Charley
    no water for 11 days
    no electricity for 28 days...
    your first concern should always be water
    i keep 150 gallons on hand in water barrels
    buried propane 1000 lb tank, 25kW home generator
    food for 30 days

JAM1 and Wade like this.
  8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'd add if you have hurricane shutters a visual inspection of the mounting points on your walls, along with a physical check, is wise. I do it every Spring, and inevitably repair a half dozen or so that have gone to **** over the past year. Screws that won't, or mounting points that have worked loose. Nothing worse than trying to repair these things in the heat of the moment, vs at a more relaxed pre-season pace.

I also check covers. The cover on the Cable connection, the cover on the pool filtration system, etc. Making sure they're screwed down tight. The last storm I failed on this one and the cover of the cable connection near the street became a 120 MPH projectile. That won't happen again.

D

Wade likes this.
  9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cash stash. If the power or cable is out no debit or credit cards but you can still buy things with green stuff.

JAM1, Wade and Rifledriver like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea, I forgot that one. Nothing says "help me" like pictures of Ben Franklin.

definitelysomeday likes this.
  11. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It was mentioned above but I double down on the first aid stuff because post storm/disaster/apocalypse it seems like there's always the need to mess with debris. The debris is usually broken and nasty. I have a pack with clotting agents as well as Cipro and Zithromax antibiotics. Chlorhexidine soap is a good thing to wash up with if you get dinged up.

JAM1 and Wade like this.
  12. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Antibiotics and pain meds.

Crutches or folding cane and splints.

Needle and thread, or something to do stitches with.

Antibiotics ointment

Animal traps.

Picture hanging wire 90lb. Amazing what you can use it for. Duck tape

Leatherman tool.

Candles.

Folding solar panels with batter charger and chargeable batteries for phones, lanterns and radios.

Water, water and water.

If you run generators or lights at night, it will attract those less prepared. Just a thought

JAM1 and Wade like this.
  13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lots of great ideas here.

One thing I need to look into, my Generac supplies power and is activated through an automatic transfer switch. So turning the Gen off at night I need to go outside and do that manually. In other words, it runs anytime the power is out while there's a demand from inside the house. Hmm...

14. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Dodnt forget Mr Glock