New Brother and Question | FerrariChat

New Brother and Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by chopsui, May 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Just picked up a 1990 TS and I've been slowly going through and checking everything out. One thing that has me stumped is that the slowdown lights aren't showing the self-check on first key turn. I thought maybe the previous owner had removed the bulbs so I switched them out with the seatbelt lights but no dice. The seatbelt lights still work but no slowdown self-check. I'm going to try to pull any codes from the ECUs tomorrow, but what else should I check?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    One possibility...
    I decided to replace every light bulb in my car. At that time all the light worked slowdown lights, check engine, belts, abs etc when key turned and engine started.
    After replacing them 1/2 the lights stopped working. 2 things happend one may be your issue.
    1) bulbs pushed too far down making them not work, fixing that fixed some but not all.
    2) ribbon the bulbs make contact with got crimped, damaged, crumpled or otherwise failed to make contact properly. More you take bulbs out and replace them the worse it got. I bought a new faceplate with bulbs in it and swapped my gauges over. All the lights work now and I have new bulbs and I have spare parts.

good luck!

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You can check the panel wiring by connecting, say, a small 9V battery to the instrument panel connector pins (or sockets?) applicable to the slow down lights. 9 volts should be enough to light up the lamps.

e.g. for the Left Hand Slow Down light, put power across the green and the green-white wire on the left hand instrument panel connector (I believe pins 4 and 6). For the right hand SDL, green-white and green-red (pins 4 and 9, I think) on the right hand instrument panel connector. Sorry, the diagrams are a little fuzzy.

If all good, then wiring checks from the TCUs to the instrument panel need to be carried out. I have wiring diagrams if you need them.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I meant to say the contacts (pins?) on the instrument panel which correspond to those wire colours on the harness going to the instrument panel.

5. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Thanks guys, I'll do the pin checks today as well and report back later.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

6. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    If the TCUs have been disconnected in the engine bay, maybe because they are faulty, the slow down lights won't illuminate on start up. This should throw a CEL though and you should have a code 4121 I believe.

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The SDLs are briefly lit-up by the SDLs (if they are good) at ignition switch-on. On my non-cat UK spec 348, no CELs if the TCUs are bad or disconnected, just the codes (but no effect on the engine running).

8. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Checked the cat ECU connectors and confirmed that they're plugged in. I then pulled the ECU codes and both banks show a 4121 which apparently is a bad CAT ECU? I'm going to go ahead and confirm that the slowdown lights themselves work using the 9v battery trick just for piece of mind, but it looks like I have bad cat ECUs.

Qavion and Pangea like this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When you turn the key before starting do the left and right check engine lights come on? Seems odd you have a code and no CEL do those bulbs work?

10. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    After doing some testing by disconnection of the TCUs I only had the 4121 TCU codes in both main ecus and the CELs were coming on but not constantly. No other codes present. When I reconnected and cleared those codes no CELs.

11. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Yeah, both CELs do come on for the self-test when I turn the key. I agree that it seems like that particular code should be severe enough to show a CEL.

Anyone know if there's a way to bench test the TCUs? In the meantime, ill check the connectors for corrosion

12. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I had the same thing happen on with one of my slow down lights. I know you said the connectors are plugged in, but in my case one of the pins in the male side of the connector got pushed back and was not connected with the female side. It was just this one pin. Once I pushed the pin back in place the slow down light illuminated. Worth a look.

13. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    I took a look and both of the connectors seem to be making good contact. It would sure make things a lot easier if one of them was working. :)

14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I presume your TCUs are like this one:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

You can bench test the TCUs by connecting 12V supply to the pins C and E as per the diagram below (you will find the markings on the connector). At the moment of connection, you should hear one click from the box and a second or so later, another click. The clicks are from an internal relay which goes on-off and this switches the SDL on-off at ignition "on". If you don't hear the clicks, the TCUs are bad. These type of TCUs always go bad, sooner or later. If your engine is non-cat, you can just let them be or disconnect them. Or you can spend more than $1,000 for a pair of new ones that will also fail (unless the currently sold ones are an improved version).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and chopsui like this.
  15. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Perfect, thanks! At this point, it's more of a curiosity thing for me. I just want to know exactly what the issue is. I agree, that if they're bad, I probably wont be spending the money to buy new ones any time soon as I have no reason to suspect the cats themselves are bad.