King Cobra: Why didn't Ford just adopt it instead of making the Ford GT? | FerrariChat

King Cobra: Why didn't Ford just adopt it instead of making the Ford GT?

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, May 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At the Shelby Tribute at the old race tire shop in Gardena CA last weekend, Dave McDonald's son gave a slide show on his father's career (his father died at Indy in an experime nal Mickey Thompson car). Much of his father's fast rising career centered on the so-called King Cobra, a Cooper that was ordered by Shelby in a batch of three and fitted with a small block Ford instead of the small English engine. They were beating Ferraris all over the place in the U.S. So now I am wondering, why didn't Ford just buy that design, (maybe rebodying it--maybe it could have benefitted from some wind tunnel testing) and they could have saved all the money they spent on the Ford GT40? Or was the GT40 design already too far along to drop it? In the end of the presentation, he said it was after Shelby-American did so well with the King Cobra that Ford called Shelby up and asked that he come in on the Ford GT program for the '65 season.

2. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I would think Henry 2 wanted a "all Ford" car to beat ferrari.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I agree but haven't found an article yet that says how insistent he was that the chassis of whatever car they ran
    had to be from Ford. I think starting Ford Advanced Vehicles was the right move.

4. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    A good book to read or listen to is "go like hell" ...lot of good information on the history of Ford VS Ferrari. I have Shelbys and a Ferrari, found it quite interesting.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I read it but don't recall him mentioning Cooper Bros or Chapman. Interestingly, 20th Centiry Fox was going to base their film on that book, then sold it off.