Pista First Impressions | FerrariChat

Pista First Impressions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kevin1244, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    I got delivery of my car a couple of weeks ago. The plan was to wrap the car in clear protection film and put on windshield protection before driving it in the mountain roads. It all got done on Friday so finally I got a chance to drive the car. Summary: the best road car I have ever driven!

1) The engine: This thing is a work of art. Truly an amazing engine. I am not surprised that it is recognized by many as the engine of the year (in 2018). Many have said it, let me repeat it: there is no turbo lag and the power band is as linear as a normally aspirated engine (through Ferrari software wizardry.) The response at any RPM is visceral; it begs you to rev. it. The RPM range is covered in such a hurry that you end up shifting your way into over 120mph in no time. The power is available at any range of RPM. There is so much torque, you push the gas pedal, it literally pins you to the seat. Fabulous engine, I don't think Ferrari has manufactured any better V8, ever, turbo or not!

2) Steering response: I always thought Porsche GT cars had the best steering in the business and I have had many Porsches over the years (the latest ones a 2015 GT3 and now a 2019 GT3 RS) and owned a Stradale (and driven the Scud and Speciale among other noted Ferrari's). Without a doubt Porsche was ahead of the game IMO, but I am not sure if I can say that any longer. The Pista's steering response is so immediate and so precise, I think they have done a better job than my GT3 RS. I need to drive the two cars back-to-back and drive the Pista on a local track (happening in May) to make my final judgment, but I am quite certain that the scale has tipped towards Ferrari. Also, I like the steering wheel itself so much better than the Porsche, both the shape and position wrt to my driving position. The Porsche steering wheel is too "thin" and too large. Somehow my hands get tired due to my position wrt to the wheel, but in the Pista, it is the right "thickness and size" and is perfectly located. I am totally fine with the location of turn signals and other controls on the wheel. The only thing I would say is that I would like the paddles to move with the steering wheel, but that is not Ferrari's game. I am ok.

3) The chassis: Oh boy, this thing is so playful in CT or Race mode. I have not turned off the nannies completely yet, I dare not to! 30 years ago, it was unthinkable to put 720HP under control (or not control of) an everyday driver and not be almost 100% sure that they would wreck the car and kill themselves if all that power was available the way it is in the Pista; not any more. Pista has accessible power for everyone in its various driving modes; from experienced track driver to someone who would want to enjoy the car in public roads. With the Porsche you are always on the edge when you push the car hard. I enjoy it, but it is not for everyone. I would say Pista is much easier to drive than my GT3 RS. I did push it enough to create some controlled drifts in some turns; I would say the car controlled it for me. You just need to look where you want to go (and not where you don't want to go!) and steer the car! What an amazing feeling. I love it. The suspension is fully adjustable, of course, but I would not mess around with anything; not yet!

4) Aesthetics: Absolutely gorgeous car and a definite attention grabber. Not my cup of tea from this perspective, but wherever I went, people were giving thumbs up. Of course, this is a very subjective thing. For me, it is more beautiful than Scud or Speciale. I am divided in comparison with Stradale. I think Pista can sit a tad lower and it would look much better. As I said, the suspension is fully adjustable, including height. But, I think I don't want to scrape the front CF pieces, nor do I want to ruin the CF diffuser in the rear. If I do anything, I would add spacers to the wheels and may be lower on all four sides by about 0.5 inches (and then must do corner balancing.)

5) Interior: I remember someone told me that car manufacturer's pick various material for a car's interior to create a pleasant "smell"; whatever that means. I do love the smell of the car. I think the interior looks beautiful. Many have said that the interior can use a refreshing; it is fine to me. I like it. I did not add leather to anything, stayed with CF and Alcantara. The accents are red (seat stripe) and speedometer is black. I would say the control knobs for the right (bluetooth, phone, etc) and left (car and performance metrics) screens are not so ergonomic and somewhat clumsy but certainly "live-able."

Driving in the hills I could easily pick up speed. Passing happens in an instant. Turns were fun. My son (only 11 years old but a very good go kart driver!) was next to me and I would describe my actions to him in full enjoyment..."slow corner, brake to transfer weight to the front before the turn, look as far ahead as possible, hit the apex, as you unwind, accelerate" or "fast corner, lift to transfer weight..." we had a blast!

This car is simply amazing!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Congratulations and thanks for the write-up. Sounds like you had a blast with your son!

kevin1244 likes this.
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Very nice! :)

kevin1244 likes this.
  4. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Really appreciate your review

Bhh and kevin1244 like this.
  5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Well done and congratulations. Mine should be hitting port this week and I can’t wait to experience what you have so comprehensively described.

Bhh, kevin1244 and of2worlds like this.
  6. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Beautiful car. Well done. So glad that you are actually driving and enjoying it. Drive it in good health.

kevin1244 likes this.
  7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Great review. Now that's a car I'd give up my 488 to get. Fantastic!

Bhh and kevin1244 like this.
  8. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thank you. Can’t wait for mine to go into production! Great write up, appreciate your track experience when that happens in May.

uhn2000, Bhh and kevin1244 like this.
  9. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    A few more things I can add:

1) Steering: nicely weighted as you turn the wheel more the heavier it gets. It provides such great feedback. I will report how it feels on the track.

2) The exhaust note: I know this is a very controversial topic; especially in the Ferrari circles. I absolutely love the sound. It's perfectly right for the car. It is not too loud and it is not too quiet. It's deep and entertaining! My Stradale was so loud, it would set off car alarms, wake up babies, scare kids, caused elderly to curse if not give them a heart attack, and generally while very awesome to my ears, kept off my wife to ever have a ride in that car with me. Driving the Pista, I did not wake up babies, did not scare kids, elderly were courteous (and alive), while my wife was having a pleasant ride. (some car alarms did go off though, seriously!)

3) Similarly, when you press the "suspension" button for bumpy road "defense," the car is soooo compliant. Again, another factor that kept my wife away from riding with me in my other prized possessions; she was absolutely fine with the Pista.

Bhh, Caeruleus11, stavura and 4 others like this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Speaking of #3 how did you spec the seats design and leather or alcantara?
    Silver for the wheels looks great!

kevin1244 likes this.
  11. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Std. sport CF shell seats with red stripe. No leather or alcantara inserts (as listed in the options list.) Other words, I did not pay any $$ for seat options.

G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats gorgeous car and thanks for the impressions!

kevin1244 likes this.
  13. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    #13 U-Boat Commander, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    I did about 30 track laps with the Pista last week in the Corsa Pilota advanced class. For a street car, it's incredible on the track and very playful. The car moves around a lot in Race mode, more than you'd think. If the GTB is one step from Sport to Race, the Pista is two and you're starting from a higher level than the GTB. I'd say it's close to CT and ESC off in Race mode. Steering is precise. Also, the brakes are phenomenal. You can definitely brake later than you think you can (or should lol). The car can take a pounding. But watch the tires. After a full day at the track they turn to goo.

PS: Going from the Pista to the 812 on the track is like switching over to grandma's car. LOL

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love it when Ferrari owners drive their cars as they were intended to be driven! :D

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Do you want playful and moves around on a track or do you want planted?

tekaefixe and kevin1244 like this.
  16. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA

Love the post! I cannot wait for tracking the car...May 11th!

17. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    The car is very planted. If you want to do fast lap times and you take proper braking and race lines; it is very capable. There are many recorded lap times by journalists around various tracks now that put Pista in the same overall category of "fast" as GT2 RS and 720s. But, if you want to get playful with it, Pista entertains as well!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    For all Pista owners: if you have the axle lift option, unfortunately there is no adjustment that can be made to the ride height with the factory springs. Axle lift occupies all the space. I checked it today. However, you could replace the spring with a lowering spring (perhaps Novitec makes one?); then you would be to able to lower the car. Of course, the rear suspension has no lift, therefore you can lower it, but since the front cannot be adjusted, the rear height change will unbalance the car.

bobbyd likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I hope it’s not as “playful” as the Speciale.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Which tires come std on the Pista?

21. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Michellin Cup 2's on mine but one spec below the ones under Porsche GT3 RS. More "street-wise" than Cup 2's under my Porsche. My next set of tires will be aggressive track-able tires but not slicks.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe that's what I have on my GT3. much better than the Corsas that are on my 720s.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Corsas are one rung lower (Pilot Sport 4S competitors).

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Nice write up. Car looks beautiful. However, nothing on this planet is perfect. Are there any negatives with the car or at this honeymoon stage, you have not been able to identify them?

kevin1244 likes this.
  25. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Honeymoon not over! I am loving everything about the car; well almost everything.
    Aesthetics: I think it sits a little too high.
    Suspension: Front axle lift removes adjustability from an adjustable suspension in the front; then why make it adjustable. It seems an after thought and not properly designed. I would like to have the lift, but they could have adjusted the spring height and rate to accommodate for the lift for the cars with the lift.

More positives: the sound is pleasant almost at any RPM; it is not too loud and it is not too quiet - very pleasant.

Seriously, I cannot stop driving this car. I am looking for any excuse to drive it; even for a few miles!