Fuel additives | FerrariChat

Fuel additives

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by baguns, May 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Anyone use fuel additives (for preventative maintenance) in your FF/Lusso?

I get a lot of different opinions from mechanics.

Very curious if fuel additives specially used in these cars are:
    a. Good to use on regular basis, helps elongate engine life, etc
    b. No harm, potential benefit (not sure if it’s doing anything, but no harm to add to the fuel take and it’s not too expensive)
    c. Complete waste of time/money.

If there is a potential benefit, which brands?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DBFerrari

DBFerrari Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    I use it on classic and high performance engines when 100 octane is not available.
    In Italy (and probably Europe) regular unleaded fuel should be at least 96 octane, I believe.
    I always have a couple of bottles of additive with me, just in case.
    On classic engines, it seems to have an anti-knock effect, which, to be honest, is very mild if at all present on regular.
    On newer engines, I can't see any difference, probably because of the automatic anti-knock systems.
    However, I don't have any ultra high performance recent engines, I mostly have classic cars and bikes, but only 1 brand new car and 1 brand new bike, neither is a Ferrari or high performance.
    I have, however, personally whitnessed some noticeable knock effect on friends' German high performance cars. They all greatly benefit from any octane booster, to the extent that the problem completely disappeared. Of course, all these cars only show that kind of problem on regular. They run great and seamlessly on 100 octane fuel. I don't know if thats happening with Ferrari's. The only one I know of is a 458 speciale, which is only fuelled with 100 octane from the same gas station, to my knowledge.
    I remember that in the states regular and premium are available, but nothing else.
    As per the brands, I tried a few, with similar results.
    Among the widely available, I can mention STP, Bardhal and Lucas, the latter being my favorite, although I can't honestly say there's any noticable difference. It's probably just because of the mix ratio.
    I was also given a niche brand once, used in racing. I don't remember the name, but it didn't seem to do anything that other brands don't.
    I would also suggest to do some online research, as all of these product promise an increase in equivalent octane level that does not live to the hype when properly tested.
    So, to sum it up, to me if it runs smooth and you can't see any difference, then probably I wouldn't bother.
    But if you see any improvement, no matter how minor, then I would go for it. To me the cost is negligible and I feel good doing anything I can to look after my loved cars and bikes the best I can.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

3. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I use fuel additive to stabilize the fuel, as some of my cars might sit for a month or two before it gets driven (they are on a rotation schedule).

4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fuel preservative, like Stabil, for extended/long-term storage (or if you don't drive your car much). Occasionally a fuel system cleaner, like Chevron Techron, if you aren't always filling up with "Top Tier" gas. Otherwise, no.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    STA-BILL for winterizing and Lucas for cleaning and conditioning injectors and fuel system. Been doing this for years on every FE vehicle I own.

6. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The guys at my local pep boys like Lucas.

Seems like these fuel additives are more of a no harm situation with modern f cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk