458 Won't shift into 2nd while cold | FerrariChat

458 Won't shift into 2nd while cold

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GreigM, May 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GreigM

GreigM Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    Hamilton, Scotland
    This may be my imagination, or it may be some sort of gearbox software protection, but going to ask the question anyway.

Start the car (2012 458 Italia), put into manual and drive away straight away the car will sometimes refuse to shift from 1st to 2nd for the first 500yds or so of driving (a slow crawl down a street with speed humps, so under 4k rpm). However if I pull away in auto the box will shift itself into 2nd much earlier.

Aside from this first 60 seconds no problems pulling any gears at any point. The fact the auto mode can shift makes me think its not a problem with the gearbox, and the fact the paddles work 100% of the time otherwise makes me think there is no problem with the paddles themselves. It somewhat feels like a bit of software simply saying "don't do that until the fluids get moving" in manual mode.....has anyone else experienced this?

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It might be something simple but 458s are known for having transmission problems, this could be a sign something is not right. Hopefully it is under warranty and if so I would take it to a dealer.

3. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Same here. Seems like the ECU don't like very low RPMs when cold. But for me it is the same in Auto.

4. GreigM

GreigM Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Good to hear I'm not alone. It is under warranty and due to go in for a service and airbag recall very soon so I'll get it checked out while its in and report back if anything untoward. Even if the engine has been running a short while I don't get this so 80% sure its simply the software protecting the transmission, but want to get the other 20% confidence.

5. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    I think nothing to do with the transmission. Engine is very rough and "jumpy" in low revs when cold, so its more to keep things smooth. But as I said, it is the same in Auto mode here.