Intimidation | FerrariChat

Intimidation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjtjr, May 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    My question to the group is; do you hear people tell you that they would consider buying a Ferrari, but that they are intimidated by them? They worry about the repair costs, and if they damage the body that it will total it. I know that I was a little put back by buying a car that was built in Italy and that could potentially be in the shop getting worked on constantly. But after owning one now I know the fear was misplaced, and that any car has the potential of becoming a nightmare. So I tell them that if you do your homework, buy a well sorted example and then take good care of it, you will be happy with it. Parts will always be expensive for these cars, and you can expect to have issues with any older car. I also enjoy working on it myself and don't get upset when it has an issue. So I wouldn't say that a Ferrari is intimidating, just an expensive habit. :)

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Anything is intimidating if you aren't educated on it. There is nothing more scary than the unknown. I did about a year's worth of research before purchasing, so I was pretty confident.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Many of the people that ask, I know they can definitely afford it. But I explain that if someone buys a new RV camper and a diesel 1 ton to pull it, than they have spent the same amount of money. But in 5 years when they sell them, they wont get much back in return. But it makes sense to spend 100k on something the whole family can enjoy, so I agree that a Ferrari is a personal expense.

wax and paulchua like this.
  5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    If you can 'afford' something or not is an extremely complicated and personal question. I know lots of people with fancy cars an big houses that I would say can't afford them. I also know some people with a large net worth driving a Corolla and living in a modest house. How much money you have in the bank, how much money you make, and how much money you spend are three different things that are only distantly related.

The real question is how much is it worth to someone? When someone says stuff like "They worry about the repair costs, and if they damage the body that it will total it." What that really means is they don't think its worth the cost, both monetarily and in time and energy.

I hate that quote about having to ask how much something costs. I want to know how much everything I buy costs, regardless of if I can afford it or not.

Boosted930, ryalex, Julia and 5 others like this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I suspect that a great many people in this country have money going into the bank account and then out of the bank account in equal measure. They look wealthy and successful, but as one successful middle aged drug rep mentioned to me once "there's no equity". That includes many professionals making mid-six figures.
    I encounter the 20 something that knows they can't afford it but tell me "one day they'll have one" and I encounter the middle aged guy "who's always wanted one and has been shopping". I usually head the how much question off by saying it cost less than a new F150. Of course, people finance the F150 and it has a warranty.

I'm not sure intimidation is the word I'd use, it's fear that the purchase will cause them more pain than pleasure. Hence, I always say it can be bought cheap but the parts prices and the maintenance are what really defines ownership. Not many are prepared financially for the potential $10,000 hit to the wallet. Personally by only driving Porsches for decades my idea of "affordable" is seriously warped. Any repair less than a grand is a bargain.. :)

ryalex and Texas Forever like this.
  7. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    So is mine. That's why I have what I have in my garage. And my wife will attest to that! :eek:

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    And it’s value will decrease by half when they decide to sell it in 2 years.

9. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    It's all about priorities. There are many more people who can afford a surprise $15k visit to the mechanic than would willingly put themselves at risk of such.

10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I like the idea that I'm driving a hand grenade but would be able to afford the loss.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    In truth, I was intimidated by a convertible top and f1 trans.
    So I got a 6m Modena ;)
    I would have loved to have a convertible and sometimes regret not getting one.

unfortunately it’s really hard to tell if it’s really well sorted and well sorted is a day-to-day status anyway. Well sorted today could still run up a $10k repair bill tomorrow.

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was slightly intimidated at first, but the more I looked into owning one the more that intimidation faded. The desire and will trumped that intimidation.

13. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I don't know about intimidated but there is certainly a lot of misinformation around. Let's face it, most people are never going to be able to afford a new Ferrari.

14. Marc Rachbind

Marc Rachbind Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rachy
    If you happen to buy Anything in life, that actually appreciates in value, then lucky for you. Most things, whether cars, jewelry, or art, will always be worth less when you try selling them. My 2 cents : if going to buy a Ferrari, buy one, drive it, love it. If ever stop to think what's its costing you, then sell it and move on.

jjtjr likes this.