Which Facet Pump for a 308 | FerrariChat

Which Facet Pump for a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Itsa GT4, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    Anyone know which Facet Fuel pump is correct for a non modified carb 308?

They make two:

One with maximum pressure delivery 4 to 5 psi. Typical flow 23 gallons per hour at 2 psi.

The other with maximum pressure delivery 6.5 to 7.5 psi. Typical flow 35 gallons per hour at 2 psi.

Thanks!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
    The lesser one actually matches the specs given in the 308GT4 WSM better (and may run a little quieter, but don't know that for sure):
    3 +/- 0.5 meters of H20 (3.5~5 psi)
    100 liters per hour (with no pressure given, but could be 0 psi -- and you only need ~1 psi worst case to get the fuel up to the carbs from the bottom of a near empty tank so, if the lesser Facet pump can do 23 gal/hour at 2 psi, it will do more at 1 psi or 0 psi)

tuttebenne likes this.
  3. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #3 chrismorse, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
    I have the smaller pump on my 77. There wasn't even a hint of fuel starvation when i had the car on the track.

I understand that there is another pump available from Pierberg that is a lot quieter.

Whichever way you go, this would be a good time to replace the old hoses down by the pump. I used 5/16th Napa 150 psi rated fuel injection hose. I have forgotten the name of the clamps, but there are beter clamps than the standard gates units. They are made from sheetmetal and don't cut through the outter jacket like the ubiquitous gates ones do.

hth,
    chris

4. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    Thanks Guys!

The car is pretty much entirely disassembled. It's been stripped to bare metal, primed and blocked twice now on the way to repainting and a redo of the interior (already got it stripped and redied with Leatherique) and replacement of ALL the fuel lines is definitely in the plans. With the number of comments on this forum and knowing a good friend and neighbor lost his 308GTB this spring due to an engine fire, hoses are on the top of the list.

Thanks again!

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    That's true, actually. Both the low pressure Facet and Pierburg pumps work well without a regulator (I've used them both). The Facet is actually a re-packaged Bendix-style interrupter type pump used on many aircraft, vintage race cars, and is the recommended replacement listed by Ferrari, SpA. The Facet has the famous 'Woody Woodpecker' constant clicking/pecking sound, while the Pierburg is a newer rotary style pump used by many Weber carburated Porsche 911s that is much quieter and hums. Both are widely available, and similar in price.

I had a Facet on my car, but on long trips the sound of the pump over the engine was a bit distracting (may not be an issue for you), so I went to a Pierburg from Pierce Manifolds (their recommended Weber pump) which bolted right up.

Either works fine, just depends on your taste. :)

6. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Thanks Russ,

Even with the loud exhaust and open velocity stacks, the pecker noise is annoying. I will try the Pierberg.

Regards,
    chris

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Chris,

I've got a pair of the Pierburg pumps sitting on my bench...ready to go in my BB over the Winter.

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/Pierburg_Low_Pressure_Fuel_Pump.html

Nice people to do business with...and fast shipping.

David

8. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
  9. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    VIVA GT4!!!

This is fantastic. Again we have a GT4 worthy of a full restoration while testarossas are still spiraling down through neglect, destruction and under-appreication (See this disaster : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259635 )

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #11 greg328, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
    I'd like to re-open this thread--

I've got a 77 308 GTB that I suspect is suffering from a bad fuel pump. A few weeks ago I noticed it sounding a bit sick and weak upon startup. I was able to get it started, but a few times the car would stumble and die while on the road. I was able to get it re-started eventually and drive off. Now, after sitting for a few weeks, (Optima battery on a tender, so plenty juice), the darn thing won't start. I hear the pump activate, although sounding pretty sickly, when the key is on, but after letting it run for a minute, then 3 full pedal pumps, the engine won't turn over. Seems to have plenty crank and I imagine, spark, but I think no fuel. I popped the hood, and tried to smell fuel in the carburetor area, not much fuel odor.

Do fuel pumps normally go bad all at once, or slowly over time? Is there not a "normal" failure-type for a fuel pump?

Anyway, I suspect it's the fuel pump, after all, it's 33 years old! Even though my car has only 34,000 miles on her, the thing is probably done for. Do my symptoms sound like this to you guys?

I happen to have a new Facet fuel pump I ordered from Superformance UK about 4 years ago. It's about 4" tall, with a gold/red label. Box says part # is 100245. The label on the box and pump says "Facet Universal Electronic Fuel Pump". I can't find any pressure rating on any documentation, or the pump itself. The install sheet does say it's for carburetor-equipped cars.

Carburetor 308s need about 3 psi, right? Can anybody confirm this one will do the job? If it's too strong, do I need to install an inline fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks,
    Greg in Houston

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If you ordered the unit from superformance, it's probably fine. I believe the pump you are describing is the official replacement part recommended by Ferrari. I am currently using a Carter P4070 pump which is rated at 5-6psi and 76gph and it is perfect. No regulator needed. And yes, fuel pumps can just die on you all of the sudden. Well, that's how I have experienced it happening anyway.

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #13 greg328, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks for the response, John. Mine appears to have died over a few weeks, not just suddenly. I wonder if this is possible. It would explain my situation....
    Superformance UK website says this pump is 7 psi. It's on the 308 carb page, so I suppose it's ok, but everybody on here is recommending 3-4 psi.
    ??

Greg

13. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #14 Irishman, Aug 9, 2010
    Mine died slowly. Occasionally, the car would slowly die during warm up. I would typically crank it again and it would be fine.

Then, I started noticing the change in sound. Instead of the robust hum it would produce a static sounding series of buzzes and pops. While sounding this way the car would not start. After some number of seconds the old familiar hum would kick in and off I went.

Why I put up with stuff like this boggles my own mind. I even replaced all the fuel lines and vapor hoses and while in there didn't bother to replace the pump.

Finally, last week it reached the end. The pump wouldn't pop out of its "sick" buzzy mode and the car wouldn't start. I saw someone here suggest whacking it and it would right itself. I didn't try that.

Based on another thread here I ordered the Facet. I thought the old pump was loud :):). It seems to be working fine though it did not come with the fuel line fittings, which I had to get from a local auto parts store. I didn't pay attention to the PSI rating, so also curious about that should I have the higher PSI model and that is problematic somehow.

14. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Those style of pumps don't go 7psi. Run it. Matter of fact, I think Russ runs one identical to it in his carbureted 3.2 hot rod.

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I love the little hum with the Carter pump. Man they are tough to mount in there though. I used 90 degree elbows at the pump inlet/outlet which was the only way I could get it to work.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Aug 9, 2010
    The actual spec in the 308GT4 WSM (3.0 +/- 0.5 meters of H20) converts to 4.27 +/- 0.71 psi, but I think a lot of people have used 6-7 psi pumps (sans regulator) without any obvious and immediate problems. The downsides at 7 psi are that you are wasting a little power generating a higher pressure that you don't need (and the higher current required will put more stress on the stock fuse block so you might want to ensure that you've got a good electrical connection between the tops of fuses #1, 2, and 3), and it might put more wear on the needle valves and cause the fuel level inside the bowl to run a litttle higher vs the mechanical float setting -- but I doubt that you'd really notice any of this.

Some of the smaller rectangular Facet pumps are actually a better spec match to the stock 308 fuel pump, but the round Facets do mount and plumb more easily.

17. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Irishman--we have the same symptoms==good to know my issue is only an inexpensive waterpump.

Steve--as usual, your info is golden--I'll go ahead and mount the Facet without worry..

Greg

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    With F36 emulsion tubes, the little square facet pumps are fine. Get into F24 tubes, and you need something to pump a good amount of fuel.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A loud one is better.....:D

Just joining in the say the 5 PSI max is the one I have used, higher and you need a regulator....good to know the Purolater catalog number!!!

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I installed the new Facet fuel pump today--problem solved.

It was much quieter than the old stock one, actually......

:)

Greg
    77 GTB

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Superformance lists only the higher pressure pump which is not OEM.

22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    For carb cars, no Facet pump is OEM as far as I know...they were all BCD Coronas and those you can hear before engine start, but barely...they are not very loud. Facet/Benedix pumps are kind of brutish. The Hardi pumps are what I have on by carb cars for replacements as they are a way better pump than the Facet/Bendix pumps and the noise is similar to the Corona. They are less expensive as well. I put all three of my working Coronas on a shelf.

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #24 robertgarven, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    All,

I must have a corona pump on my 74 Euro GT4 and yesterday it started making a horrible noise. On my other 75 US GT4 I have a Facet pump I got from Pegasus Racing and it has been running fine for 10 years replacing another facet pump that was installed there. Pegasus had a part number on the box #1105 which was an internal part number and translates to the silver top version FAC 476087 which is the 4-5 psi. I don't mind the clicking and actually find it reassuring (im a drummer) that it's working. I never like the sound of this corona pump which sounded like it was gasping or choking.

Now all I have to do is figure out what kind of fittings I need to get to screw in there, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!

Over the years I've used Fchat as a great resource and some threads such as this one seem to have the most accumulated knowledge on a particular subject so I apologize for double posting, as I started another similar thread. I will post a few pics of my older facet pumps and the one I installed 10 years ago for reference!

I have one more comment, when I replaced this older pump on my other GT4, the car sat for almost a year while I was doing all sorts of work on it. I found out that if these pumps sit for a long time without gasoline in them the rubber parts go bad and they leak badly. Someone suggested taking that rubber gasket at the bottom and putting it in a container of gasoline if you're going to have it dry for an extended period.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

24. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #25 Steve Magnusson, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    It says it on the Facet box ;) -- the pump has 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) female ports, so you need fittings that are 1/8" NPT male thread -to- 5/16" (or 8mm) hose fitting for 5/16" (or 8mm) rubber fuel hose.

What is the Facet part number of the pump (I think the "1105" might be an internal Pegasus part number).