Official 488 brake recall | FerrariChat

Official 488 brake recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
  2. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    go to the link. the associated documents give much more detail.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/FERRARI/488%252520SPIDER#recalls

2016 FERRARI 488 SPIDER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1RECALLS 0INVESTIGATIONS 0COMPLAINTS Not been ratedOVERALL SAFETY RATING
    2016FERRARI 488 SPIDER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1RECALLS0INVESTIGATIONS0COMPLAINTSNot been ratedOVERALL SAFETY RATING

Recalls & Safety Issues.
    This is a record of safety issues for vehicles of this year, make, model and trim. If you are a vehicle owner, search for recalls by your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The vehicle identification number tells you if your car is affected.

Learn about our recall process

Have a safety problem?

Report a problem with your vehicle, tires, car seats or other equipment. We review every problem as we work to keep our roads safe.

Report a safety problem

Find recalls by VIN.

Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired as part of a recall.

SEARCH BY VIN

Recall information from this VIN lookup tool is provided by the manufacturer conducting the recall. NHTSA does not record VIN information or results provided through this tool.

1 Recallsfor 2016 FERRARI 488 SPIDER
    FILTER RECALLS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS

All (1)ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (1)SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC (1)
    March 9, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V164000
    Brake Disc Wear Software
    If the driver is not warned about the critical disc wear, brake disc damage may result, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V164000

Manufacturer Ferrari North America, Inc.

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 40

Summary

Ferrari North America, Inc. (Ferrari) is recalling certain 2016 488 GTB and 488 Spider vehicles. Due to a software error, the driver may not be warned that the brake discs are critically worn.

Remedy

Ferrari will notify owners, and dealers will update the instrument panel node software, free of charge. Owners may contact Ferrari customer service at 1-201-816-2668. Ferrari's number for this recall is 64.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

2 Affected Products
    5 Associated Documents

3. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Sooo.

Does this fix apply to the same issue with the 458?

I am looking for a 458 to add to my 360 however it is a bit troubling to buy a vehicle that may not stop when i want it to.

When inspecting a 458 is there something brake related to specifically check?

Has Ferrari admitted that it is a software issue??

Will this happen to every 458/488?

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I had indeed this recall. It's reported as a software issue; the software supposed to monitor the discs wear was reportedly bugged.
    Not sure how it could be trusted with or without correction anyway, since AFAIK the proper way to assess CCM discs wear is to check their weight.
    I do not know about the 458.