Thinking of going from 488 to Pista | FerrariChat

Thinking of going from 488 to Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by henryenzo, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Apologies--I am sure it is here but I didn't see it, but what is thought to be the total production number of Pistas. I am asking because I wonder if it will hold its value like other high end variants. Thanks

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you don’t have an allocation- look to the used market. You won’t get a new one.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it may hold its value, but this is the first time you have the same car done 4 times - 488/pista/f8/stradale

Robb and IPO1 like this.
  4. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Don’t hold your breath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not that impressed with my 488. Pista looks fantastic, but the engine, even with higher output, does not work for me.

6. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I went from 2017 and 2019 488’s to pista and so curious how you can say that. Pista is in its own category, especially the engine. Not sure what your frame of reference is or what you are comparing it to but it’s the best thing I’ve ever driven. In fact, it was just awarded engine of the year by the Engine Technology International organisation. Read below, sit back, enjoy a 1947 cheval blanc, think hard before you speak and do tell, what’s it gonna take? I guess some folks are just hard to please.

NEWS
    Ferrari dominates Engine of the Year awards yet again
    Pista's high-revving V8 scoops title for unprecedented fourth consecutive year

30 May 2019 - 08:13BY MICHAEL TAYLOR
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Four wins on the trot for Ferrari 488 Pista engine.
    Image: Supplied
    Almost inconceivably, the twin-turbocharged, 3.9l Ferrari V8 nestled behind drivers of the 488 GTB and the 488 Pista has won the Engine + Powertrain of the Year award yet again.

In the face of the addition of the “Powertrain” part that opened the door to electric cars, the high-revving Ferrari motor owned the award for the fourth straight year.

No other engine has ever won four straight titles before, and it had to overcome the 3.8l Porsche turbo motor, the McLaren 4.0l twin-turbo V8, the 6.5l naturally aspirated Ferrari V12 and even Tesla’s electric powertrain to win the Over 478kW category.

It left the award’s co-chair, Dean Slavnich, shaking his head at the supercar engine’s dominance of its class and all other engines.

“Since its launch in 2016 the Ferrari V8 engine remains undefeated at the International Engine + Powertrain of the Year Awards, winning 14 trophies over three years,” Slavnich said.

“And now it has won the overall award four years straight, cementing its place in the history books. I very much doubt such an achievement will ever be matched again.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The award-winning 3.9l V8 engine is mid-mounted and sits behind drivers of the Ferrari 488.
    Image: Supplied

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Stradale has nothing to do with the other three.

nice, Bandit23, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  8. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Its the same body so not sure how u can say that

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Who knows.

The important question is. Can you live without the glovebox and the smaller boot during all the nice long drives a Pista can offer?

Considering the fact that neither the Pista nor Pista Spider are limited production cars - and the fact there here in Europe it seems like allocations are pretty easy to come by, my guess is that there will be a pretty significant production run.

It might be different in the US as there's the crazy allocation game FNA likes to play.

11. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Incorrect facts throughout your post.

nice and 09Scuderia like this.
  12. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Not same at all.......may I suggest you do some research and understand the differences before posting.

Caeruleus11 and 09Scuderia like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Really? Please explain.

14. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Both Pista and Pista Spider are limited production run cars........good luck with a straight simple allocation now on either........anywhere.

agrun and 09Scuderia like this.
  15. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe that engine of the year also applies to the 488 GTB version of the 3.9 twin turbo. I just am not impressed with the lower rpm limit, sound, shifting characteristics of the 488 relative to my 458. I passed on the Pista and have an 812 due by the end of the summer.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Who told you they were limited?

I talked to one of the guys at the local dealership in the Copenhagen area on Monday three weeks ago, about the Pista allocations, number of orders etc.

He was very specific about the Pista, like the Speciale, were not limited by a set number of cars. But unlike the Speciale Aperta which were a limited run, this time, the Pista Spider is not a limited model either. A close friend and family member that has a Pista Spider on order, has been told the exact same thing, both from our local dealer and when he was in Maranello speccing his Pista.

Add to that our dealer currently has at least seven Pistas in storage for customers with more coming, not counting Spiders and what's already on the road here.. Four or five of these cars i saw that Monday, are Pista Piloti cars to boot. If the guys at this dealership tell me they are not limited, just like the Speciale was not. I believe them, because they certainly seem to have the sales numbers to back it up. I also witnessed a guy that came in Thursday last week to purchase his first Ferrari. He expressed interest in the Pista and he was told it was possible. I don't know the outcome of that as I was going for a test drive during their conversation. In case you wonder what dealer I'm referring to, it's Formula Automobile, Lyngby in Denmark.

Not trying to start a fight here in any way shape or form. Just saying that from what I've been told and from where I sit, it definitely does not look like a very limited run like the Speciale Aperta or 16M.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    There is a difference between Limited Edition and Limited Run Production. Anyways you are probably correct as you seem very well informed and entrenched in Ferrari world, what do I know. o_O

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    From a resale standpoint, may not be the best move, though the 812 is certainly wonderful

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is correct. Its a limited production run, not a limited car, aka numbered car. You cannot get an allocation in the US. They are not available. EU might be a different market bbut in the US at least, its a fairly rare car relatively speaking.

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Silly question but why not go from your 488 to an F8? A friend of mine was looking for a Pista Spider and found no allocations but could get an F8 allocation immediately.

Sal polletta likes this.
  21. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I intend on keeping the 458 and 488. They're both awesome cars in their own way, I ordered the 488 to my spec and it's gorgeous. Now, how about that 1947 Cheval Blanc!

Best

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think the tributo is the car to get. Love the lines and details. All the other cars in the similar families just don’t do it for me.

Robb

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think this is what I was trying to convey in my initial post. Yes, the US is completely different from the EU market, hence my reference to the allocation and be-on-the-list game FNA and North American dealers has been playing for years.

The UK is from what I understand, somewhere in between the US and Europe, due to the fact that the cars are right hand drive models. It's not so much the dealers restricting the potential customers just to keep numbers down or sell used cars etc. It's more a question of Ferrari simply producing fewer RHD models, which naturally creates a situation where allocations are harder to come by. This of course means that allocations are offered to certain clients first.

But generally, for cars that are not of limited numbers, here in mainland Europe, it's easier to get allocations than the UK and US.

Not sure what defines a limited run, as all production runs are naturally limited. They started the Pista production in 2018, and I guess it will and when the SF90 start production. How does this make it a limited run compared to a "normal" production run between two set dates?
    To me, a limited run is A a set number of cars, or B, a car that is only available in conjunction with another purchase or for certain customers with a specific ownership history.
    From what I can tell here in Europe at least, that's seems not to be the case.

I'm by no means the most well informed here, I know nads is usually pretty well informed. I've been here on FChat in the past, so I do know a few of the members here.

As I said, I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just sharing the info I have and how it looks from where I stand. :)

If I came across in a wrong way, I apologize, as it was not my intention to offend anyone.

24. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Didn’t you and a couple of more in this forum get the allocations fairly recently?
    Could’t the same happen to the OP?

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Got mine about 2 months ago...more coming?? Maybe but doubtful.