Turn Signal not working | FerrariChat

Turn Signal not working

Discussion in '348/355' started by jssans, Aug 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    My '95 F355 right turn signal works when it wants to. The left turn signal works perfectly. The malfunctioning signal is malfunctioning both outside & in the instrument panel.

Does this sound like a bulb issue or something else?

- Josh

2. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Does it blink or make the clicking sound really fast? Once in awhile mine does the same thing on the left side. Most of the time it only does it once or twice and then it's fine. It's done it 3 times in the last few months. No bulbs are out in mine.

3. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    It either works or stops working. No fast clicking.

4. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Sounds like it could be in the switch, maybe pull the steering column cover off and spray some contact cleaner into the switch also if you can try to see the contact surfaces, check for dirt and wear.

5. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    OK, I took off the steering wheel & disassembled the turn signal assembly. I cleaned & checked all the contact points. Everything looked clean & in excellent shape. The damned right turn signal still doesn't work. I changed all the light bulbs & even switched left & right lightbulb housings(front & rear), still doesn't work. Here is the other development, when the contact touches two metal plates in the turn signal assembly the signal is activated. You can do this with a flat head screwdriver to test it. If i touch the two plates that make the left signal turn on all is good, not so for the right signal plates. But... if i touch the left plates then at the same time touch the right plates the right signal will start to work & will work for awhile without the jump start of the activated left plates. The after a few more on & off tests of the right signal it will quit.

Is it a relay? If so, where is the relay? I'm pretty fustrated.

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Does the right turn signal work correctly when you activate the hazard flashers? In other words, when you turn on the hazard flashers, do all four turn signal lights work correctly, AND the indicator bulbs in the instrument panel?

You might also want to check and see if all of your tail/parking lights and brake lights are functioning correctly. Sounds to me like you may have a bad ground.

7. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The hazards work.

8. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 saw1998, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008

Jeff:

You have great diagnostic/analytical skills. Your posts are always clear, concise, logical and on-point. I, for one, thank you for them. I know this is not a particularly difficult problem, but you have a way of getting to the "heart" of the matter.

Best,

Scott

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Scott; What a nice thing to say, thank you! I enjoy fixin' things, I often wish that I could get my hands onto some of these cars and take a shot at the problems. So many of these things can be fixed at home at minimal expense.

jssans, when you say "the hazards work", did you actually look at all four corners to confirm that all four lights were working (at full brightness)?

And when you say that the right turn signal doesn't work, do you mean right front, right rear, or both?

"A good description of the problem is 90% of the solution", so they say....

10. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1. And conversely, a good description of the proper way to diagnose and repair the problem (which you always supply) is 90% of the solution.

FChat really is a fantastic place to learn. The "knowledge base" here is absolutely amazing.

11. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    All four lights are flashing at full brightness when hazard button is pressed. Both front & rear passenger-side turn signal lights are not working either is the light in the instrument panel. I have changed the fuse in the passenger side compartment. I have swapped bulbs & their housings from both sides. I have cleaned all contacts in the switch. You can get the right signal to work if,
    1: you push the hazard button
    2: you make all contacts in the switch touch

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Since the 348 (like mine) and the 355 (like yours) use different turn signal switches, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. It SOUNDS like the problem may be in the switch, based on your description of the symptoms. Possibly a rivit for the contact plate is loose?? Looking at the 348 wiring diagram, I see that in addition to the turn signal switch and the flasher relay and the hazard switch, there are also three relays in the center console that are described as "hazard light relays", but these do not show up in my parts book as replaceable items.

I hope you are able to get it repaired. It looks like a new turn signal switch is about $700, and they're not really designed to be easy to fix.

13. dave355gtb

dave355gtb Rookie

Mar 14, 2004
    swansea, uk
    Full Name:
    david adrian evans
    The same thing happened to me , right signal working intermitently but hazard lights all working. Cleaned all relays (turn signal & hazard) , cleaned column switches. Bought new turn signal relay (still did not work) and had an electrician check all signal cables (all ok ). The electrician then checked inside both the turn and hazard relays, the turn signal relay was ok (since it was new) but he found a poor solder joint within the hazard relay . He then resoldered the joint and the right turn signal worked.
    Relays are situated under the dash not far from the trunk release lever (right hand drive ) , may be different for lhd

14. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My kudos to Jeff as well trying to help me diagnose my cold starting problem. Never solved it though as I have tried everything imaginable with the help of fellow Fchatters and my mechanic. So, we have appropriately named it "Cranky". As Hugh in Seattle says to me,"Live with it and enjoy the experience of owning a Ferrari!"

15. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2013
    USA Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Alex Velet
    Did Jssans ever fixed his problem? He never replied with the fix, or how he got around it.
    I have similar problem with my F355. When I switch the right turn signal, turn signal arrow on the dash will not even light up, and the right signals will not flash. But when I turn hazard lights on, they work perfectly, all flash. Strange.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #16 Qavion, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    The hazard lights use the same relay (module), but a different input pin and different power source. It could be the hazard/turn module or steering column switch.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, just take the cover off the module and try resoldering the contacts within the module (closest to the pins).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Just resolder the applicable turn contacts ("15R" and "R")

SoCal1 and WATSON like this.
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #17 Qavion, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    The photo shows an early type module, but the contacts closest to the pins may be similar on the newer type. Modules vary according to car assembly number. Vehicle assembly number 24037 and before have the early type and these cars also have the acoustic repeater module which sits right next to the hazard/turn module.

Don't waste your money on a new module (if you can find one), these are easily repaired. Sometimes you need a magnifying glass to see the cracks in the solder.

(EDIT: I know you have a 1995 USA car, but could you update your profile please ;) )

Shurik355 and WATSON like this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There are a lot of misleading posts in this message thread. There is only one (combined) Hazard/Turn module fitted to F355's. The other is an acoustic repeater (noise-maker). Also, a common mistake is to think that the (daytime) "flasher" relay in the forward luggage compartment is related to the turn indications.

The Hazard/Turn module is located just above the forward luggage compartment release handle (at the top of the carpet line, under the extreme left hand side of the dash on left hand drive cars). You may need to remove a few screws holding the carpet down to get better access to the bolt/screw holding the module. Don't lose the washer (if there is one). On your car, you are looking for a module with the markings "B883...... 12v/3(6)x21W". The numbers inbetween I'm not sure of. There are four types of hazard/turn module. Your car's type is the only one I don't know (early USA/Can/Jap). Maybe you could tell me what the missing numbers are? ;)

Don't waste your time looking for fuses. If the left turn indicator works and the hazards work, it's not a fuse problem.

I was going to create a tutorial for diagnosing/fixing hazard/turn indications to save me repeating myself, but it started to turn into a short novel.. and might be heavy reading for newbies )

Shurik355 and WATSON like this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you don't have a soldering iron, but do have a voltmeter and have found the hazard/turn module, you can still check the steering column switch (and eliminate that as a possible cause).

Disconnect the plug on the hazard/turn module and look for socket #3 on the 9-socket plug. The sockets are usually marked with small numbers. Put the red probe of your ((DC) voltmeter into socket #3 and the black probe onto a good earth. Turn on the ignition and turn on your right indicator. Your voltmeter should read about 12 volts if the column switch is ok.

Here's the lighting wiring diagram for the 2.7 car, but it may be a little confronting at first look:

F355 (2.7) Lighting Diagram

In the bottom left hand corner, there is a pinout for the module plug.

Sometimes you can confirm that your hazard/turn module has faulty soldering connections without removing it simply by wiggling the case (with the right/left turn indicator on). If you do have a soldering iron, it won't hurt to resolder all those circuit board contacts closest to the module pins: 15R, L, 15L, 31, R, 30, HW (shown in the photo above).

Fazzer, SoCal1 and WATSON like this.
  20. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2013
    USA Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Alex Velet
    How the heck do you know this stuff so well Qavion :) I really appreciate your help and the input on this. I haven't started looking yet but already tons of helpful info from you! Let me go and locate the module.
    And yes I do have the soldering iron. And yes I updated my info :D
    Let me get back to what I find sir...

21. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2013
    USA Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Alex Velet
    #21 Shurik355, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Qavion likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Long story.. but, basically, I had a few problems of my own when I first bought my car (including a turn signal problem which took me a few months to figure out). The original Ferrari diagrams were basically illegible, so I re-drew them, line by line with the assistance of fellow F-Chatters, correcting the original diagrams as I went (There are quite a few errors on them).

All the answers to your problems are on the forum, but you have to know where to look (I've had 4 years of experience looking). Poor connections on the hazard/turn module circuit board are quite common. Also check the tightness of the module connector sockets. I just hope it's not a column switch (I don't think there has been much luck fixing them and the assemblies are expensive). Checking the voltage at the hazard/turn module connector should save you pulling the steering column apart to check the wiring.
    Getting the plastic case off the hazard/turn module can be a little fiddly. You may need two small flat-bladed screwdrivers to lever the case off. The plastic case is relatively soft and forgiving (not likely to crack), but it's easily chewed up.

Anyway, good luck!

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry.. cross-posted. Just saw your photographs. I don't know if it's reflections, but the solder connections do look like they have circular cracks on them. I found a crack in the HW connection, too, on the last module I fixed, but it wasn't yet showing any symptoms. HW is the Hazard light input from the centre console switch.

Thanks for the part numbers!

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #24 Qavion, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    OK... now I'm confused. Is your car a USA-delivered car, or Euro car? That is, does it have rectangular turn side "repeaters" (two on each side), or just one circular repeater at the front (behind the wheel arch). The latter looks like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barchetta-Ferrari-Indicator-Lights-Yellow/dp/B014HS5QWW

Also, Euro-delivered cars don't have the acoustic repeater (next to the hazard/turn module). Did you see two modules above the carpet line?

25. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2013
    USA Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Alex Velet
    Ok so Im going to resolder the bottom 15R, L, 15L, 31, R, 30, HW connections. They do look ok in person, the pictures just have the reflections there. Only the 15R looks a bit dull compare to the rest. I guess I will need a small drop of fresh solder in those connections and that should be enough? If these don't work, I will check the steering column switch plug #3 with volumeter.
    And the hazard/turn module connector was pretty tight there, I barely unplugged it, definitely wasn't loose. All the connections seem to be tight.

I will do the testing tomorrow here... will post results