Official Stanley Cup 2019 thread | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Official Stanley Cup 2019 thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Apr 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think he is playing

2. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great game so far

3. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What a hit by Krug

4. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great goaltending

5. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  6. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You just knew the referees were going to blow one of the Finals games. It was inevitable

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What a cheap shot by Marchand right on the end at Binnington. Elbow right to the back of the head.

But you have to say that missed call that led to the 2nd Blues goal was pretty bad. The ref was looking RIGHT AT IT. Not much excuse.

Boston fans throwing things -- low class. Sorry, it is.

alum04org likes this.
  8. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This loss wasn't all due to the terrible officiating, but I saw two or three obvious missed calls with the slew foot of Acciari being the most blatant and costly. That was complete bull****. The refs so badly don't want to make a call that determines a game they are now determining the games by NOT making the calls!
    And there isn't a city in the league that wouldn't have thrown stuff on the ice after that sequence. Normally, I hate when that happens. But, being at the game last night, and seeing that play out, I was fine with it this time. (although I did not throw anything myself)

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, what happened is the refs wanted to try to stay out of the game but in doing so, created the opposite. It was a penalty that was not called and it led to a turnover that led to the winning goal. You can't get more involved in the score than that.

What they should do is just blow a penalty if they see one and forget the timing. And the NHL should step in and tell refs that's what needs to be done.

10. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Cam Neely's reaction to the slew foot non call and subsequent goal about summed up how all Bruins fans felt.

11. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    I was boat-camping & fishing north of Chapleau, ONT, for six days and missed games 3 and 4 dangit. But I sure liked last night's game five - watched it on CBC's broadcast which blows away NBCSN with "the drone" P McGuire :). Was on the edge of my chair all game - quite entertaining, calls and non-calls aside. Binnington is playing unbelievably. So much poise.

Gonna be a burner Sunday evening - B's better get their first line tuned up as STL has shut them down so far.

12. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    all in all a great game and series --- lots of on the edge of your seat excitement - if this doesn't get your blood flowing you have a blockage

TheMayor likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No mention at all on NHL.com

I wonder why? :)

The refs didn’t entirely screw up the game. I forgot who but one Blues player took stupid penalty 5 minutes into the third and they called it.

14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    QUOTE: And there isn't a city in the league that wouldn't have thrown stuff on the ice after that sequence.
    I am a life-long fan of the Phillies, Flyers, and Eagles and I can assure you that I have never seen any Philly fan throw anything at any time in any venue no matter how badly the home town team was screwed.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well, clearly I meant every city in the league EXCEPT Philly. I thought that was implied. :D

16. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    yup...I gotta buy a new TV. Separately looks like Cam's still gotta pretty good arm....

Effing BS no call :mad:

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The referees need to do what they are paid to do - call penalties and goals. They are over-analyzing their position, and trying to "think" about what is best for the game. What's best for the game is integrity, and right now integrity is the furthest thing from the NHL. Each round has had an obvious blown call. If the one last night was marginal, or a 50-50 call, I get it, but that was soooo obvious and BOTH referees missed. The San Jose hand pass was worse, because that is one that all 4 officials can all, but not one of them claim they saw it.

wahoowa likes this.
  18. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am not a Bruins fan, just a hockey fan in general, but Neely's reaction wasn't just how Bruins fans felt, it was how ALL hockey fans felt.

19. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    David Perron

20. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually, they did. They let a lot of Blues' penalties go. In a tight 1-goal game, that obvious non-call that got St. Louis the clinching goal ruined a very good game. We are talking about how the referees missed a call, instead of how great that game was - that enough tells you the refs screwed the game.

21. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Mike, you ref....don't you find that over the course of a game (or in this instance a series) that you just develop a "thing" for certain players? Noel Acciari has been really chippy this entire series - it's his style - but could the ref (he was looking RIGHT at the play) just have been (I know, he shouldn't have) saying to himself "well...he kinda deserves that - evens up all the other crap he's done that I could have called" It's wrong I know, but does that go through your mind?

Separately, kudos to you for reffing - it's kinda like goal tending - really have to do it to appreciate how dang hard it is. Had it not for a tremendous coach back in the day that were any of to ***** about a no save or bad call would either put us in goal for practice or ref a scrimmage/JV or women's game. It's crazy hard - much easier to work with your 4 shift mates to get a goal :p

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You raise an excellent point. We are all human, and while I can't speak for everyone that does actually cross my mind. However, my integrity and love for the game trumps those feelings and I always try to do what is right. It isn't easy to make the unpopular calls, but a lot of those times the unpopular calls are the correct calls.

But, again to your point, the opposite is how I handle it. Rather than NOT call a penalty in favour of a Marchand type player, he would be on a shorter leash when he commits an infraction. I always call a penalty when I see one, regardless of the name on the back of the jersey.

23. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #448 Hoodude, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    All respect props to Chara.
    None to Marchand.
    And the refs call it straight..now? Maybe/maybe not.
    This is a funny sport..cheersRE

Ps,refs are a part of the sport..some are bigger than others.

24. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes they are, but when they are getting paid $200,000+/year I don't expect them to miss an obvious trip 6 feet in front of them while they are looking right at it. Calls get missed, but that wasn't one of them.

25. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Will Lord Stanley be awarded tonight? Or will we have to wait until Wednesday?

Here's hoping we aren't talking about the referees after tonight's game (and if it goes 7 after Wednesday's game)

Hoodude likes this.