360 - "Garage Queen" does not have to be bad thing. | FerrariChat

360 "Garage Queen" does not have to be bad thing.

Discussion in '360/430' started by tvoismo, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Hi,

I have to start saying "sorry" to so many out there who do not understand why to have a "Garage Queen".
    I do use it for about 500-1000 miles every season (5 months), but mostly it stays in the garage.

Do you have any tips except using the C-tek, when leaving it for so long in the garage?

Also, I have not had it for a service in three years. But I have only put about 2500 miles on it. Is this really bad?

I bought the car mostly for the pure view of it 24/7, look at the pictures. But off course for the thrill of driving it too!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

in a place where there's no record of cars are kept and mileage rollbacks are not policed, garage queens are the best cars.

i love garage queens. except for aging rubbers which can be easily replaced, there's nothing wrong with them IMO

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Factor in a recommissioning costs of upto 10-15% of purchase price and your fine.

Temping to buy for sure but sadly almost every ultra low mileage 360 I've helped out with had more costly mechanical issues to resolve than one driven a sensible mileage and well looked after. Even a 1k a year car now could have 20k on the odo. So a car driven only 2.5k a year could be 50k miles and really for these engines they only really break in at 20k and start producing full power...

As for original question, I wouldn't even have a battery installed in the car if its off road for more than 3 months and possibly drain fluids and have a very low / empty fuel tank. Octane goes down in fuel if its sat for long periods which isn't good for engine when starting again.

Also worth jacking up the car off its tires to avoid flat spots. Id consider replacing tires every 2-3 years regardless of mileage if you want good levels of grip when you use it.

Corrosion can be a problem so full climate controlled environment including levels of humidity worth investing in. You don't want it too dry either.

KC360 FL and whatheheck like this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What do you mean "service"...as in the same fluids have been in the car for 3 years? If that's the case, it is a bad thing, especially for brake fluid, which has a tenancy to crystallize.

Mine, this past year, is guilty of being more of a "garage queen", but I do start it or drive it just to keep things going, and I also still replace yearly fluids.

5. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor

Well, last fluid change was in spring 2017. So 2 years, I am going to get it to service very soon. Last trip I had was a month ago about 30 miles, no problem then. The car has 52 k miles total on it. I thought the car should have full tank when "resting" over the winter season, not almost empty? hmmm.

6. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    I have a heat pump / ac thing in the garage. What is the best temperature and humidity for the car ?

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's not too bad then...I usually leave a full tank with fuel stabilizer, I have always been under the impression that this is better as there is less room for moisture to build up.

dreichman likes this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Temp is not as important as humidity

45 to 50 % humidity is ideal

Temp anything from 50 to 80 degrees f Is fine
    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Different views on this. Also depends on if you can control humidity. You cannot control indefinitely degradation of fuel apart from fuel stabilizer which isn't really a total solution. Maybe an octane booster before use?

Personally I would rather not run the engine on fuel from 2 years ago. Ideal approach would be to drain tank if fully filled and refill with fresh before first cold start but thats painful and I doubt many people do this. These tanks alloy and not steel so interested to see if they are prone to corrosion or not when left virtually empty.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There two schools of thought on gas in the tank. One is to keep it full so that there is less air/moisture, and less chance for corrosion. The other is to keep it very low, so that you can easily burn off the old gas or dilute it with fresh on those occasions when you drive it. I have no idea which is better, but have been less inclined to keep my tank full between drives. Use fuel stabilizer with either method, of course.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

RedNeck likes this.
  11. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I have been wondering this same exact thing. I've done both. I drive least once every 1-2 weeks at a rate of around 1,500-2,000 miles per year. Lately I've been keeping the tank full.

Keeping the tank low so that it is burning fresh(er) fuel feels right, but I have no clue. I'd like to know how likely a tank maintained at a low level would lead to corrosion. I haven't heard of any stories of this - are there any?

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Watch the trick pool shots next to your 360!

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    To each his own but my personal opinion is - having a beautiful high performance car and it sits in the garage to just be looked at or drive very rarely is like having a very beautiful, hot, sexy and awesome in bed girlfriend and all you do is look no touch :( Or sex once or three times a year only. What a waste of a great thing.......

These cars are not only beautiful piece of rolling art but the driving performance is just phenomenal. Every time I drive my car my face hurt from smiling when I come home. What an amazing driving experience.

As I said, to each his own, your car, do whatever makes you happy.

Just sharing my opinion.

Flyingbrick242 likes this.
  14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    The best for long term storage is keeping the garage with AC on and helps control humidity and corrosion, I keep Sunoco race fuel 100 octane it stays fresher longer than regular pump gas IMHO

360trev likes this.
  15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    .. Octane lowers over time so absolutely yes.. It will stay fresher for longer

RANDY6005 likes this.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Nothing wrong with letting them sit in a temp and humidity controlled environment
    I still get the fluids in my ferraris changed every two years regardless of mileage just to keep the car running good some of mine only get driven a few miles a year 200 to 500 maybe a year.. but I like walking into the garage everyday and seeing them..lately i have been driving the F12 everyday rain or shine to work...
    For storage the humidity is the most important to control and as has been suggested 40 to 50 percent is about right..

RANDY6005 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I wonder if there is a psychiatric subspecialty that deals with this? :)

tatry68 likes this.