348 - Help identifying layshaft spacers/washers | FerrariChat

348 Help identifying layshaft spacers/washers

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Jun 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Ive spent a good amount of time attempting to identify the washers/spacers on the layshaft as well as the main shaft. Really hard to find pictures or actual specs to confirm proper placement when reassembling the gearbox. I took pictures but lost the dang SD card. Why I didn’t save to cloud immediately is only further proof that I am too damn lazy... Thanks for any and all help!

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I just used the exploded diagram in the parts book

3. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  5. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I believe I have washers #25 (2 of them) and # 21 (also 2 of those) figured out although the outer diameter appears visually different I'm not sure how exact the drawing is in reference? Either way there were only two matching pairs so I used my best guess as to which pairs were #21 and which were #25. There was very minor cosmetic surface abrasions/wear on the washers that make me somewhat confident I go those right. Since there are several different types of washers it would be incredibly helpful if anybody had pictures of the washers and how they are oriented onto the layshaft as well as the main shaft. I would love to finish this gearbox up so I can install it and finally get my 348 on the road after almost 2 years restoring it.

6. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Of all the gearbox issues plaguing the 348 in the past I would imagine somebody has positive intel on this issue of gear spacers/washers? I looked through all the threads I could find and could not find a picture of the elusive washers...

7. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

You can see on the workshop manual schema (P193) where the biggest washer goes and you can see it in this picture I did on mine I think.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Thanks for the picture! Interesting enough, that is where I thought mine went as well but the cover can't completely seat against the transmission case because the mainshaft sticks out too far?

9. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Have you already put back the two row balls bearings?

You should have some lateral play in the shafts if you have not put back the bearings and when you will put them back and the intermediate cover, the shafts will go backwards and take their normal place.