After a very long 18 months, my 812 is almost here. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

After a very long 18 months, my 812 is almost here.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Big congrats on your new ride. You must be over the moon.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That is gorgeous - hearty congrats!!

Thecadster likes this.
  3. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Thecadster likes this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Love the Daytona Race Seats, they suit the car perfectly.

R J, bluesea and Thecadster like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    An absolutely delicious build spec with that paint and interior plus those race seats to. Thanks for sharing your new arrival! + silver wheels ;)

Thecadster likes this.
  6. francescaoscar

Jun 11, 2014
    Uk
    Looks amazing - very exciting

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for all kind words and well wishes everyone. Here’s some initial thoughts based on my first day of ownership.

So in between t-storms today I managed to get in my initial 30 mile blitz through the backwoods of North Carolina. I didn’t need any more time to validate my decision to move forward on the 812. If I’m honest with myself, I was more than a little concerned about the price walk between my perfectly awesome F12 and the 812. The dollar gap’s considerable and I was worried that the juice might not be worth the squeeze. Even though I had the opportunity to thrash a new 812 at Road Atlanta as part of Corsa Pilota last summer, I still wondered how it might work for my primary driving, which is primarily carving up the twisty’s in North Carolina. I felt then, and still do now, that the F12 is 85-90% of the 812. That extra 10-15% has a considerable price. To me though, in the end, it was worth it. And I say this as an unabashed superfan of the F12. Here is what makes the 812 worth the price of admission:
    • 4WS - This new addition goes a long ways to reducing the overall feel of size and heft that is ever-present in the F12. Both cars are remarkably nimble, but the 4WS is a significant upgrade.
    • Gearbox - The shifts are much quicker, especially the downshifts. My biggest gripe on the F12 was the relatively slow downshift. Compared to my Performante, it felt very much DCT 1.0. The 812 removes that criticism altogether. Added bonus is the shifts come quicker, which means there’s more of them. Also, they are more authoritative, not so much a slam (like a single clutch Aventador), but just very much both quick and abrupt.
    • Noise - Hard to improve on the F12, but the 812 is louder, which for me, is a huge win. To my ear, the cold start is much much louder. I did not go over 6000 rpms, and can only imagine and assume that winding the V12 to the redline will be corresponding more eventful in the 812.
    • Power - The F12 is freakishly overpowered. It’s a white knuckled affair every time you slam the accelerator. The 812 is even more powerful, and shockingly, the power upgrade is readily apparent.
    • Confidence inspiring - Despite the obvious power upgrade, the 812 is more planted and creates far more assurance and certainty. The F12 always had a Jekyll and Hyde quality that I found endearing, but the 812 gently shifts towards Jekyll and away from Hyde, and that’s probably good thing overall.
    • Turn in - I actually really liked the light and fast steering feel in the F12 and I always thought the turn in was surprisingly engaging. The 812 is greatly refined in its steering feel and directional control. I look forward to exploring this more in subsequent runs.
    • My spec - The 812 is my first time creating a Ferrari spec and I love how it turned out. My worry regarding the spec took on a life of its own over the last several months, but all that trepidation was for naught. It’s exactly how I wanted it to be. Added bonus, my wife loves the spec. She actually called it “elegant and tasteful”. This last part is special as my wife is completely nonplussed on my car addiction. That she actually likes the 812 is an unexpected windfall. (For context, she thinks my Rosso Mars Performante is silly, and thinks the Miami Blue 991.2 GT3 RS I am thinking about acquiring screams mid-life crisis…)
    Bottom line, the 812 is a massive step forward from the already perfectly incredible F12. It’s a forever car for me and I look forward to many years and miles spent thoroughly exploring its capabilities and personality.

8. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    How do you like the capristo exhaust valve controller?

Must have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017

Oops...I left that part out. So I had a Capristo valve controller for my F12 also. I really think it’s a must have component. I keep the valves closed exiting/entering my neighborhood, open otherwise. It’s perfect for being stealthy when you want to.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    This is basically exactly how I feel about it. Same trepidations about the price vs the F12 etc.

I agree with almost all of your points exactly. You've really summed up the differences.

Having my own spec as well as more creature comforts is a big win for me. Loving Carplay and the upgraded stereo. I had them put a dedication plate in with my name on it as well.

I've been showing the car a lot (for example yesterday I was over at the Microsoft Turn 10 Studio that makes Forza racing, today I was at our local exotics show) and the reaction to the car from other people is nothing short of insane. Opening the hood will attract a crowd.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  11. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    Beautiful color combo! I'm partial to Daytona seats as well - and yours are so inviting.

I agree with your 812/F12 comparison. I'm very happy with the upgrade, but if I collected cars I'd keep my F12.

Enjoy!

Thecadster likes this.
  12. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I also agree with your assessment. The rear wheel steering really does make a huge difference. Im constantly surprised how the 812 puts the power down considering the shorter gearing than the F12 combined with 789 hp. A lot of it is electronics but it appears so seamless. Congratulations and look forward to hearing your reaction when it revs past 6k rpms.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    One additional enhancement from the F12 to the 812, and this point cannot be overstated, the battery charger process is massively improved. No longer do you have to open the hatch, attach the charger in the dark recesses of the boot, and smash the lid onto the cord. I know the workaround was to crack the driver/passenger window and drape the cord on a towel, but I worried about dust and losing the trademark Ferrari odor by leaving the car “open”. With the 812 it’s simple, you plug the charger into the exterior connection hidden near the rear number plate. Fast, simple.

R J and of2worlds like this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Indeed that is a "little detail" that is actually a biggie. Same improvement is on Tdf, which I enjoy massively.

15. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree with your assessment or the F12 as I owned one for over 2 years. Waiting on my 812 to arrive in July as it’s on the slow boat to NJ and then has to get trucked to CA. Can’t wait to compare, but from your post, I certainly can’t wait to put my first run in. One suggestion, as you like sound as much as I do, to have your dealer open the exhaust valves permanently. I did that on my F 12 and was always ecstatic with its sound on cold starts.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    The new battery charger system is definitely fantastic.

Thecadster likes this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I have the Capristo programmed to stay open for the cold starts, then when I depart the neighborhood, I close them for stealthy departures and returns. Works well for me. I choose to live with my family in as close to a “normal” neighborhood as possible with the median home value probably south of $600. Works great for us, and keeping quiet (and humble) about my cars helps to keep people out of business. I know, I’m super weird. Always have been. Everyone’s different and there is no wrong or right way to do cars (or neighborhood departures and returns lol).

Slow boat to NJ and slow truck (train?) to CA... I really feel for you. The first year and a half wait was annoying, the last two months was mind-bending... This much I know though, once you have it in your possession, it will all have been worth the wait.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I do not think that you’re weird at all. I think that’s a smart way of living. Humble is always better than flashy. All of us here enjoy our cars and I too have waited as long as you have to get mine in. Makes you appreciate it that much more. I love your spec and that just goes along with how you live your life.

What’s even harder is the fact that I saw it at the factory a month ago and still have to wait another couple of weeks before I get behind the wheel.

Are you planning to put an aftermarket exhaust on your 812? I’m planning to have the dealer open the valves before I even pick it up.

Thecadster and of2worlds like this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for kind thoughts. To be clear though, I’m agnostic on Ferrari flash and the supercar lifestyle. I take no philosophical position, rather just a personal position. It works great for some, but wouldn’t for others. I’m dark on social media and don’t do C&C events. None of my good friends, college buddies, etc even know about my cars. My financial world is radically different than theirs and I do not wish to adjust those relationships in any meaningful way. Like I said, I’m weird lol. I drive by myself and as often as a busy life permits. I like Fchat as it’s my only real social engagement with like minded car freaks.

Definitely keeping factory exhaust. I loved the factory F12 exhaust with valves open and the 812 is clearly the same, but even more, so I’m perfectly content.

20. francescaoscar

Jun 11, 2014
    Uk
    Hey Cadster. My 812 finally collected too. Now on road trip round Scotland and in heaven! Totally agree with your assessment of the car. It is a amazing improvement on the 812. It is difficult to explain quite how much. It is like everything is 5% better with the steering and gear change even more improved. This creates a car that is almost in a different league. They have done amazing things. The upgrade was worth every penny!

of2worlds, Thecadster and R J like this.
  21. francescaoscar

Jun 11, 2014
    Uk
    Found some friends too!

22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    here to just chime in you are not the only Ferrari owner operating like that, had to do a double take as I'm the same exact way. Don't do CC events, most if not all my drives are me myself and I in the canyons out here in LA and just feels like heaven. Like to stay grounded and mind my own business/keep to myself as it relates to my cars too

Enjoyed your 812 impressions against F12, only been a passenger in an awesome drive in the F12 and was blown away, so any upgrade over that experience must be an event. I think my 488 was built around the same time as your 812 but I'm still waiting for "the call" from my GM, he's saying there have been some holdups at customs. Wait has been killer!

of2worlds, Thecadster and R J like this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Congrats!! Sounds like an epic road adventure. Having had additional seat time in the 812, I have come to the conclusion that the car could not have been made more perfect. All the enhancements/refinements from F12 to 812 are simply magnificent. I could not be any more pleased. Enjoy in good health my friend.

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Friends indeed...!