GPFmageddon: The Freak Out Is Real (Or Not) | FerrariChat

GPFmageddon: The Freak Out Is Real (Or Not)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Thecadster, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Now that a GPF is more or less confirmed to be standard equipment on the 812 starting in 2020, the immediate implications in the near term are causing tons of panic...uh...conjecture. Surely Ferrari can solve (has solved) the GPF riddle. Regardless though, going forward, the main boutique supercar manufactures, limited by lack of production economies of scale, will likely be fitting all their future offerings with GPF. For my part, I am more than a little concerned as sonic pleasure is probably my primary motivator and have been acquiring “keeper” cars in the noisy NA tradition (812, Performante, looking to add a 991.2 GT3 RS, almost grabbed a SVJ, still might). Anyone else have similar concerns? Others probably think the GPF madness is overblown...

Last point, this issue may well have market reverberations (ie the potential for both near- and long-term value differences between 2019 and 2020 812’s). In closing, please note this disclaimer, unlike many on Fchat, I just like cars (especially noisy cars) and I am about as far from an authority on this topic as I can possibly be.

Patricia2020 and of2worlds like this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Dumb question: what is GPF in this context?

paulchua likes this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    MY2020 also introduces for ALL Ferrari models, ALL markets:

Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)

Dynamic Cruise Control (radar guided)

Advanced Front Camera

options not clear which models will be included:

Side/surround cameras

blindspot detection in outboard mirrors

rear cross traffic (part of AEB)

~~~~

As for GPF, early views are universally down-voting, now these are on German made (VW group) cars, but, remember, they have a ton of research funds available and the case of Porsche spent 2 years "dialing in" the sound for GPF equipped cars and STILL elected to NOT include GPF for USA...that alone should tell you something significant...

for instance:

See @ 14m38s, Damian says the sound is shocking (and not good)

See @ 2m11s, JWW underwhelmed:

further background regarding Porsche's efforts in relation to GPF devices:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/technology/porsche-gasoline-particulate-filter-engines-particulate-matter-engineer-martin-werner-christophorus-388-16349.html

Porsche engineer Martin Werner and his team worked on converting the gasoline engines for filter operation for roughly two years. Because larger exhaust systems don’t fit into the tight engine compartments of the 718 and 911 models, completely new main catalytic converters had to be designed. The previous three-way systems completely converted already gaseous substances such as nitrogen oxides into harmless air components. In four-way catalytic converters, by contrast, the channels in the filters have a catalytic coating. “That leaves no chance for nitrogen oxides and particulates,” says Werner. The filters are relatively short with large diameters to enable flow into as many channels as possible at the same time.

4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  5. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I am so so so fortunate to have received my 812 and Pista this spring. And to have kept my 458.

daytona355, of2worlds, F12JAJ and 2 others like this.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Seems that Corning is developing their market. ;)

From 2016:

Corning hits 1-million-unit milestone with gasoline particulate filter production

These gasoline particulate filters help automakers meet the new Euro 6d emissions standard and introduce some of their cleanest gasoline models yet. Corning’s production scale-up effort for DuraTrap GC filters has been critical to ensure supply and support customers ahead of the regulatory implementation.

Euro 6d emissions standards, which will be fully phased in by September 2018, call for a significant reduction in fine particulate emissions from GDI engine vehicles under new real-driving emissions (RDE) testing. These standards necessitate the use of particulate filtration in the treatment of exhaust, a technology successfully utilized on diesel passenger vehicles in Europe since the early 2000s.

China will be the next market to introduce particulate filtration of gasoline engine exhaust. New emissions regulations, known as China 6, will be implemented beginning in 2020, and will apply to all gasoline engine vehicles, not just GDI.

Once China 6 regulations are fully implemented in 2023, most gasoline vehicles in China will potentially require a gasoline particulate filter. Corning’s growing collaboration with major automakers in China, driven by its advantaged DuraTrap GC filter product portfolio, is increasing the company’s pace of investment, including a new manufacturing facility in Hefei, China, announced in 2017.

Once regulations are fully adopted in Europe and China, Corning expects to build a gasoline particulate filter business with an estimated $500 million in annual sales.​

C50 likes this.
  8. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    of2worlds likes this.
  9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Absolutely. Filters reduce flow.

Fortunately for us, most of these efforts are towards diesel particulate emissions. For gasoline internal combustion engines here in the U.S., I don't expect to see GDFs on performance vehicles anytime soon.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Aren't the GPFs only applicable to direct-injected vehicles?

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    for now, Ferrari hasn't used Port Injection for quite some time...

12. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So glad my 812 is 2019 so I don’t have to worry about all that crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daytona355 and Thecadster like this.
  13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They really really don’t like us running our cars in public do they..... when I was a kid, I never ever considered that car owners would end up being one of the most persecuted minority majorities in the world. Climate change will happen with or without cars, don’t they understand that the world regenerates itself every so often anyway, and unless they put a ban on developing countries (that use coal power stations and don’t worry about emissions from power generation and heavy industry) developing, they’ll never make a substantial enough difference to slow or to stop it happening anyway? Of course, I’m not saying they should so that for a moment, as every country needs to develop, but logically, if they were able to develop with nice, clean and reliable nuclear power, there wouldn’t be such an issue, but what developing country can afford this, or even be allowed to use nuclear with its obvious offensive capabilities

F12JAJ likes this.