Lusso PTU failure.... | FerrariChat

Lusso PTU failure....

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by gilly6993, Jun 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well after all the “Wet Mode” and multiple warnings we thought all along it was a battery issue. After a new Interstate was put in the problems persisted in their test drive before sending the car back.....I told them to drive it for 25-30 miles before clearing and sure enough it threw the same warnings....

Initial diagnosis is a PTU failure and just awaiting Ferrari approval to ship a new one.....Service advisor said best to happen now then after the warranty period as it’s one of the few major problems they’ve seen in the FF.....this is the first in the Lusso for them....hopefully have it back in a couple weeks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds and vraa like this.
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Interesting, on a Lusso, very interesting, thanks for sharing

ewright likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    First one I've heard of, and I'm kind of into keeping track of this sort of thing.

Don't think it's a sign of things to come for Lusso owners in general. Nothing's perfect and occasional things have a flaw.

It's the same unit for the FF, and from what I know, it's been great.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well lusso just lost a good reason to opt for it over an FF....how the hell can Ferrari not get these things right - going on 10 yrs PTU can be an issue across the model range - come on Ferrari now ur public, you can do the right thing and cover these under warranty.

Melvok, Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  5. jamiew

jamiew Rookie

Dec 30, 2009
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Sorry to hear about that. How many miles on your car? It is definitely better to deal with this inside the warranty period!

7. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been debating buying a new Mercedes AMG E63 Wagon or a used FF as a DD for a while now. They are nearly the same price point. The one thing that gives me pause is the reliability of the FF. I've driven the FF but not the AMG wagon. The FF is a thrill to drive but haven't driven the wagon. I need reliability as I drive in and out of Jersey City, NJ (not a place where you want to break down) on my way to lower Manhattan daily. I'm leaning toward the wagon. Thoughts?

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    5K mile and about 2.5 years old....yes definitely better now. They’re still running through some tests for Ferrari before they will ship the unit but my SA says they’ve seen this before in the FF.

We then went on to discuss reliability and my dilemma of getting an extension of the warranty. He did say other than this issue the FF and F12 have been relatively bullet proof....out of warranty it’s about a $20K repair with Ferrari....it usually does not happen again....

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My ff has been reliable but that doesnt mean it doesn’t spend weeks sitting at the dealer

Ptu costs 36k and 3k for labor. Wwofcars has only ever had to replace one across any car. As the owner bumped into a wall pretty hard and caused the ptu to fail

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    I dont own a FF.
    But have been looking around to buy one.
    Talked to couple indy shops and the one said its the seal that goes bad in the PTU unit and engine.
    In other words the gear oil mixes with normal oil and causes the gear oil to be diluted and the sensor picks up the error
    and causes the clutch discs to slip .
    This issue should be resolved and updated from ferrari.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  11. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Gilly the Indy told me the “wet mode “is a symptom the different oils getting mixed .

of2worlds likes this.
  12. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for that confirmation. That has been my ongoing issue for over a year now. It has been much worse the past couple months and initially have been told it was a voltage issue from a bad battery.

Problem with my car is I’ve gotten so many random warnings I don’t know what’s true or not. Hopefully they approve the swap and I get my car back soon.

Actualizer and of2worlds like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ive had wrt mode for approx 80 percent of the time since 2012. About 2 yrs ago it stopped happening.

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    What is a PTU? Power temperature unit? There are too many of these damn acronyms.

johnr265 likes this.
  15. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    From what I was told it’s a Power Transfer Unit. It’s the “transmission “ that drives the front wheels.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Okay, thanks. I thought that was a simple unit that only operated in a couple of low traction modes at low speed and in a couple of gears.

17. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    From what i know is the PTU unit is build by Ferrari .
    Not a third party vendor and they keep all the info close to there chest regarding parts etc.
    So that’s why they cost moocho money to fix.
    But what goes bad is the clutches not the gears.
    So in all reality clutches don’t cost that much money.
    But this is ferrari.

Melvok and of2worlds like this.
  18. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That makes sense. What I was told is there are internal seals that fail and allow mixing of fluids inside the unit. It is not something they ever repair, only replace....I was told a 2-3 day job....all I heard was $$$$$ and thankfully still under warranty.....

At this point I’ll be glad all my “Wet Mode” nonsense is finally figured out and really makes me think about extending the warranty on the vehicle to some extent....there’s really no other car in the segment that I would even consider so it’s a keeper until the replacement comes out at least....

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think the PTU was designed by a Swedish engineer Ferrari hired who came from a rally racing background.

20. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    #21 cloverleaf, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Incorrect, the PTU for the FF and GTC4 is built by the company hGears in Padua. They specialize in high-precision gears, so they also manufacture most of the internals. I visited their factory a year ago.
    hgears.com/market/automotive

Bundy, otakki and of2worlds like this.
  21. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    THANKS for the update .
    I didn’t know i was told it was in-house.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #23 otakki, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    It's difficult to understand the problem, if known, is allowed to continue with the GTC4.

There is a youtube video of a heavily modified FF, reportedly turned into a RWD only vehicle. That is an option if it becomes too much hassle to deal with the PTU problems and replacement: just get rid of PTU altogether. Wondering how the guy in that video did it, and the cost involved. Of course, it will suck losing the extra front end traction.

23. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So now we are almost one month out of service at the dealer. Ferrari will not authorize a PTU replacement. They now want the dealer to top of the fluid and test drive the car. If it drops a certain amount they can confirm the leak and replace. My dealer thinks it needs replacing but their hands are tied. It’s been a long month without the car and very frustrating.....

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Not cool. Do the right thing, Ferrari.