Verstappen to Mercedes | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Verstappen to Mercedes

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, May 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My buddy piloted Lewis around ~10 years ago. He was a real dick, to the point that Scherzinger apologized for his behavior.

Bottas is a nice guy indeed...just beat Lewis again despite running a much older engine, not even upgraded now.

I would love Max at Ferrari but for the good of F1, I hope he sticks around in Red Bull for a while longer, and that that car gets better so it can compete for wins each weekend rather than these one offs. Red Bull doesn't have a replacement in line at all, and the risk of 2 teams suddenly packing up and leaving will be really bad for F1.

stavura likes this.
  2. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Max moves to Mercedes - everyone might as well pack up and go home. He would obliterate everyone.

nsxrebel, dflett, daytona355 and 4 others like this.
  3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'd love it. If only because LeHam's whinging would be biblical.

4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    We'd be forced to watch races on mute.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

I think Mateschitz would have no problem to sell his 2 teams if he wanted to pull out of F1.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Christain Horner was behind a management buy-out for one of them, then.
    RB is a well structured team that would, no doubt, attract investors.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Or get himself a one year disqualification like Schumacher !

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's true. But he needs to have someone to buy it with him. Perhaps heineken so long Max is attached...but then I guess so long Max is with Red Bull the sale won't need to happen anyways.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I was thinking in terms of Middle-East investors, or even Chinese; they have a lot of cash to burn.

Even possibly Russians; they have already bought teams in WEC, and put a toe in the water with Marussia (a failure I know), and sponsoring Petrov, Sirotkin, etc ... F1 is their next goal.

RB would be a smart investment: a team with a pedigree, and that is already working very well.

9. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Ahhhhh William, you love having a jab at Michael at every opportunity you get yeah?

10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    How did Max go from earning the name Crashtappen to the greatest driver in F1? Did i miss something?

william likes this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Control impulsive anger. Dominate team mate. Be the driver he is capable of. Greater respect for the Stewards after working with them. Good consistent results

12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Agree, he has made some improvements and he has always been fast. I'm a fan.

F430 F1 Singapore likes this.
  13. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    He's matured tremendously in the last year.
    Given what he's currently working with and how well he's doing, you'd have to say that if he was in the dominant car (merc) no one would touch him.
    Look at his teammate for example with the same equipment and look where he is.

Im no Max worshipper, but true be told he is brilliant.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Let's just say that he is a reference in appalling track behaviour.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

"The leopard cannot change his spots", we say in England.

Max Verstappen is the result of an aggressive upbringing.

Robb and ktu like this.
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I won't say he would beat Ham if he went to Merc, Ham is Mr. Consistent. It will be fun to watch though.

Robb likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The team could possibly regress, because the animosity between team mates I predict would prevent them exchanging data to develop the car.
    Toto Wolff would have a job on his hands to manage these 2 egos !!
    I think having Ricciado alongside Hamilton would be more beneficial.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Max has mostly ran solitary races, with the Mercs and the Ferraris often out of reach, and no challenge from a team mate.

In these condition, aggressivity doesn't show up.

19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Simply because those people who labelled him Crashtappen failed to see and believe in his inherent talent and steady evolution.

Only now are those same critics beginning to realise that he will bag a WDC by the time he's 25. He's then got another 10 years at least, to continue his evolution.

The raw speed and talent is already there.

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

In your opinion.
    F1 drivers, stewards and the audience think otherwise.
    There have been equally agressive drivers since the incarnation of motorsport.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't deny his talent, or his speed. I am just saying that Max' impatience makes him push the boundary of decency in certain circumstances.

I levelled the same accusation against Senna and Schumacher at the time: they didn't need to behave like thugs, but just enjoyed it.

Like Max, they didn't like it much when the boot was on the other foot though ...

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 - those who provide stupidity rarely like it back when placed on them lol :)

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, what?

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Of course I am entitled to my opinion, and I don't care much what others think.

Senna and Schumacher are the one who brought the stewards in, and some track rules, following their antics.

The drivers asked through the GPDA.

There were in fact many complains about bad driving in the past, and some suspensions were even acted in the past.

25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Senna vs Ballestre was always entertaining.
    Maybe F1 should revisit that process