Strange starting issue | FerrariChat

Strange starting issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by c6vette, Jul 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Forgive me if this has been addressed but I did a search and was not able to find anything

Every now and then when I go to start the car it will not turn over. Everything on the inside powers up except I do not hear the F1 pump and the trans will not shift from 1st to neutral or vice versa. Push the engine start button and nothing. I have tried removing the key and turning it back on as well as locking and unlocking the doors with the button on the key. Nothing works. The only way I have found to fix the problem is to cut off the master power switch in the frunk for a couple seconds. Every single time that does the trick and the car fires up normally.

This wouldn't really be that big of a problem but every time I cut off the master power I have to reset the clocks and re-pair my phone to the bluetooth.

If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks!!

2. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m not sure if this helps but try pushing the brake in a little harder. I’ve noticed that if I don’t have my foot firmly on the brake it won’t start.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    That does not seem to make any difference. One big thing I notice when this issue occurs is that when I open the door, the F1 pump does not cycle at all. That tells me something is wrong before I even sit in the car.

4. wtam608

wtam608 Rookie

Sep 24, 2015

It happened to me twice in two years. Both times, F1 pump did not come on when I open the driver door. Same, used the cut off switch to get the car started again. Trying to narrow it down... Do you happen to have a "SMART EMT F1 RELAY ECU" installed?

5. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you open the door while the key is on does the door open icon appear on the dash in the clock window? If not it might be a bad or misadjusted door micro switch

whatheheck likes this.
  6. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Yes I have the solid state relay from scuding swiss. Installed that as soon as I bought the car so I can't say if this issue happened with the factory relay or not

7. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Yes I do get the door open icon on the dash

8. wtam608

wtam608 Rookie

Sep 24, 2015
    mmm... I also have one, good reference point for now. Next

Thanks, I have one installed too. Makes a good reference point to narrowing it down.

9. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    I sent an email to Scuding Swiss asking if they have ever heard of this problem so I will post back when I have a response

10. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Here are the emails from Scuding swiss:

Hi Clay,

Thank you for contacting us and the detailed description of your issue.

The interesting point is that you say that the car won't turn over when this happens. Do you have a F1 transmission light on the instrument panel when this happens?

We've seen some weird things happening on the F430 when the battery comes to it's end of life (even when the tender says the battery is fully loaded doesn't mean that the battery has still the current capacity). Maybe it's worth checking your battery and replace it if it's getting too old.

I know that with the Basic version of the Smart eMT ECU it's not easy to check but there are 2 LED lights which would be interesting to check each time before you open the door until the problem happens. When the ECU is in sleep mode, the green light flashes every 8 secs. When the door is opened, the TCU tells the Smart eMT ECU to power the pump which will make it wake up and then the green light starts to flash every 0.5 secs while the pump is powered, then stays steady on. If for some reasons the TCU doesn't tell the Smart eMT ECU to power the pump when the door is opened, then the ECU will remain in sleep mode.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

It's very interesting that you don't have the F1 light because this eliminates the Smart eMT ECU. It looks like your TCU is having a random issue. Please make sure that your battery is ok, that would be the first thing to check. The TCU hates to be underpowered and will definitely get stuck requiring a full reset (like you do with the battery switch). This is especially the case with older versions of the TCU.