Manual 575 on Bat closing in 2 hrs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Manual 575 on Bat closing in 2 hrs

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Skippr1999, Jun 18, 2019.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think the site is great exposure. takes a bit of work on the front end...

for reasons i cannot determine - some auctions bring really strong money and others do not. (re f355 fan 82's sl500)

if you have good pics and records it is worth a shot for $99...

Tim Riley likes this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #27 F355 Fan 82, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    For me there were 2 SL500 that sold for $45,000 and $46,000, both same exterior as mine magma red one a week before mine came up, I figured perfect time to sell, those who missed out on that one would want mine, didn't go as planned.

1.$45,069 - 6k mile 1996 SL500 US 500 edition which wasn't anything of note - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-mercedes-benz-sl500-8/

2. $46,000 - 1500 mile 2000 SL500 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-mercedes-benz-sl500-17/

3. $27,000 - my 5k mile SL500 which also had a cover,top stand, and 4 keys which the 1500 mile one didn't https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-mercedes-benz-sl500-32/

What I will say is that US 500 edition one ended up fetching $45,000+ after going RNM 6 months earlier at $30k so its a crapshoot https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-mercedes-benz-sl500-us500-edition/

BAT is a fine site but I would not go with no reserve although BAT will push you to that. Before I listed my SL I wanted to list my 575 as well bc once we found out we were moving I didn't want to take all my cars, BAT would only let me do the 575 at $80k or $85k reserve and I didn't want to do that for a red/tan 21k mile car with $15k of recent service, the kid I was emailing back and forth with said the car wasn't worth more. I do agree the 575 market is soft, but each car is its own, and one with $15k of recent service is certainly worth more than a market car but BAT didn't care, they want no reserve or low reserve bc when the car is sold is when they really make money, the 5%.

I don't want to say lots of bidders are fake, but i see lots of cars end on bat and then go up for sale somewhere else shortly after.....

Tim Riley likes this.
  3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    end on BaT = sold ? and then for sale somewhere else ???

i've notice some weird bidding trends. like the guy that bid full retail on a 599 day one...

4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It's a great place if

1) you have tons of service records
    2) tons of pictures
    3) get the luck of the draw and post yours when no others are up

See again with mine a 6k mile one went a week before mine and while I saw mine go up, they listed another 18k mile one so BAT pushes a ton of cars at the same time and it makes it tough for sellers. The issue is when I submitted my car there wasn't even a single SL500 for sale online, but by the time they actually listed mine, as henry mentioned as well, it was 3 weeks later, so they listed and sold others in that timeframe.

There was a period last year where it seemed 1 maranello was coming up weekly, there hasn't been a 575 F1 listed in a long time now, months, so it would be a good time to list mine, but I decided to keep it now and sold off some of my other cars and left the remaining ones with a deal for sale and out of my way.

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    There are so many shills on that site it’s disgusting

6. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    How do you know that?

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Have you ever seen the plethora of misinformation from "experts" on there? Especially on Ferraris for sale? Also the 575 mentioned here is still for sale so it didn't sell, same thing with my car.......so something definitely seems off with all these cars selling then not closing.

8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I listed my E-Type for sale there and had a pleasant experience from a business point of view. It did not make reserve but they put me in touch with the high bidder and I got $1,000 shy of my reserve, and BaT made no commission. I think that's a very seller and buyer freindly policy, putting you in touch with the high bidder and not taking a fee.

Do I think I could have gotten more for my car in Pebble Beach or Scottsdale? Yes, but they take a big piece out of it. I probably would have netted close to the same amount, unless I caught a big whale, and I also would have had the expense of shipping it to the auction. Plus, on E-Types, none of the majors accept reserves at Scotsdale and Monterey. So it would have been a big roll of the dice.

I started the process quite early and was not even sure if I was going to list until the end. I had everything prepared, including the description, and was just waiting for the car to be done, and pictures. I highly recommend a professional photographer, especially for anything over 6 figures. Then be very proactive on the comment board. Respond to everything promptly, keep your cool, and be honest.

Don't let your auction end on a Friday, or a holiday, or holiday eve. Or a week when the stock market is down big. haha

The German rooms have the most money in them there, especially the Porsche ones. Some Ferraris have done very well there. I think the British following is a little soft compared to traditional auctions.

I like it better than Ebay which has always proven to be a waste of time for me.

I would list a car there again, and I would be comfortable buying a car there. I'm not saying you don't need to do a physical inspection, but the peanut gallery does some very good vetting, and I have learned a lot over there about several marques.