430 - Disintegrated header blankets? | FerrariChat

430 Disintegrated header blankets?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zed82, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
  2. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Update: I contacted NHP or Maxspeed Motorsports that sold me these blankets made for the F430 two months ago and they want me to remove the blankets and ship them to the US for evaluation. They don’t have any new ones to ship out and they are not saying outright that I will get a refund.

Might as well realize that I’ve been screwed big time. So the question is if I can leave these on any change the springs to shorter ones. Can the blankets catch fire with the inner insulation exposed like that?

The other alternatives I’m looking at is buying Fabspeed or Capristo blankets.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are you sure the exhaust itself is not leaking ? Other thing to look for is oil leaking into the blanket, both will destroy the insulation

4. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    @whatheheck Saw that you also had issues with your NHP blankets.
    No oil leaks at all. The black mark is a burn mark. I will do a smoke test on the headers later today. Car is in for an annual service.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The spring seems a daft idea as the heat will weaken it, the Capristo ones have press studs

6. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Smoke test showed that the headers are intact.

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Those look like the same ones Fabspeed offers. I’ve done over 5,000 miles on my capristo header and cat blankets, both are still lookin and performin great!

8. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Those are one use. Once baked, they become very brittle and cannot be removed without them falling apart.

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Image Unavailable, Please Login Had the Fabapeed blankets on my f355. Springs got weak, insides ripped and they got baked and disainigrated. Got Inconel heat shields and no comparison to quality, efficiency, to the Fabapeed or Capristo.

f355spider likes this.
  10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have a friend with an F355 spider with Fabspeed headers and Capristo blankets. The blankets have been opened up at least a couple times over the years for inspection and he has had no issues with the Capristo blankets durability. He has since sold the car, so I don't have any recent info.

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Update:

I will send the NHP header blankets to Maxspeed Motorsports. I guess they will have to refund me. When we removed the blankets they literally fell apart.

Got the Capristo blankets instead.

f355spider likes this.