What is this box? | FerrariChat

What is this box?

Discussion in '348/355' started by chopsui, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Can anyone tell me what this is? Found it while doing some door work. There are no markings on it whatsoever. The blue wire is grounded to the door. The other two are spliced into the wires for the window regulator.

My only guess is that it has something to do with the ugly old Clifford alarm but I have no idea what its function is or why it's hooked into the window regulator. WRT to the Clifford, the car did not come with any sort of fobs, documentation, or anything related to the alarm. I don't know if it's even hooked up (I hope not). The LED does nothing. I'm about to pull out the rest of my interior for some light restoration so I imagine I'll find a few more surprises.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Window accelerator it looks like. A big one too probably old. They did not do very much if anything for me I'll leave it at that.

S-T48, Qavion and chopsui like this.
  3. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Ah, interesting. I didn't know that was a thing. Given how slow my windows are, I don't think it's doing much for me either. I'll disconnect it after greasing the window rails and see how it does.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  5. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Yep, that's definitely the one. Mystery solved!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    All these things do is provide improved ground for the window motor but they don't do anything to improve the +12V to the motor. They connect to the door but is the door a good grounding point? Well, it depends how rusty or greasy the hinges are (probably not a good grounding point at all). On my 348, I have installed DIY "accelerators" using two relays and I have added small size flexible ground straps door to body. I did notice some improvement (the window speed is now satisfactory) but this is just half of the acceleration - the positive side still has some losses in the in-line connectors and through the switches.

chopsui likes this.
  7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had a clifford in my '95. The CPU was in the center console. I liked it. Then it started getting flaky, not always disarming. I had it swapped out for anther brand. I might still have a clifford fob or two if you want it. One is in the plastic. I might even still have the CPU. Shout if I should check

8. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Well I tore out my interior since I'm replacing all the carpet and it turns out that the Clifford alarm has been completely removed. The LED light in the center console wasn't hooked up to anything. I removed it, and filled in the hole with some plastic filler. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. :)