Capristo exhaust with turbo engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Capristo exhaust with turbo engine

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by KarlA69, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I will have a proper answer for you in about two weeks when I pick up the car. However, based on my (fairly extensive) research: the Capristo rear boxes, which I already have fitted, do make the Portofino louder, especially when the valves are set in the 'open' position. However, it's what I would call a blare (especially at lower revs). Sounds OK towards top end of the rev range but not the sweet, high revving Ferrari sound of old days. Obviously we are dealing with a turbo engine so you can't expect that, but even so I wasn't overly pleased with the result with Capristo (alone) fitted.

The x pipe is designed to make the exhaust note more high pitched at revs. It combines the exhaust from two banks of cylinders (I'm not a technical person - plenty online about how it works exactly). I have seen enough before and after videos to think the x pipe will have a positive impact.

Secondly, sports cats (i.e. less restrictive catalytic converters). These should improve exhaust sound also, plus for a turbo engine should offer (modest) gains in horsepower and allow the turbos to spool up more quickly.

I'm not sure whether the Capristo + x pipe combo alone would make a sufficient difference - perhaps others have done this?
    I will however report back the results from mine when I get it back (and then stop spending money on the exhaust... enough is enough!)

2. R0ut3r

R0ut3r Rookie

Jul 20, 2019
    Canada
    Hi,

When I replaced my 2013 California with a 2017 California T last year I was really sad about the exhaust note and volume level.

I had the Capristo valved exhaust installed (with the remote to open and close the valves). It cost me 4500 USD installed.

I was immediately happier but must admit it is now much much louder and even at low RPM makes it difficult to be stealthy when arriving home late at night ;)

all in all, I love it but

whatheheck likes this.
  3. tryptomine

tryptomine Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    I have also back boxes by Capristo for my Portofino and my valves are always open. I didn’t use remote control to open and close.
    always in OPEN mode.
    sound is Amazing :)) much much much louder then OEM
    Can’t even compare with OEM sound.

My suggestion put in OPEN mode when installing exhaust. Don’t use remote control cause even if you open the program will close or open when the valve box control want that.

4. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Just wondering if you got just the capristo back boxes installed?
    I recently had the Capristo boxes plus Kline
    X-pipe put in. Unfortunately I have been left with a horrible drone in the 1500-2500rpm range. It really hurts the ears.
    Did you get any droning with the back boxes alone? At least that will help me in deciding if I should remove the x pipe and reinstall the stock H-pipe.

Thanks.

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    USA and EU Portofinos are programmed differently. USA cars throw a check-engine light if there isn't enough back pressure on startup,so the valves can't be kept always open. And Capristo fobs have a button (#2) just for EU cars that does nothing on USA cars.

6. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    I assume back box alone won't have any drone as quite a lot of people here installed the back box and no one is complaining about the drone.
    But as for me, I had Kline 200 cell sport cat + Kline X pipe + Capristo muffler before and the drone was horrible like you. Then i replaced the Capristo muffler with stock muffler and no drone at all...

7. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Interesting.

When you got rid of the capristo mufflers, did you feel you lost out on the sound in any way?

8. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    I felt that carpristo mufflers sounded a bit high pitched but volume was similar. Anyway I only had the capristo mufflers on for less than half an hour so my impression may not be accruate.