430 - Anyone recognize this sound? | FerrariChat

430 Anyone recognize this sound?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tamahal, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I know there is a lot of information here about ticking sounds and exhaust manifold cracking. But I have a ticking sound that is coming from around the intake manifold. It’s not around the headers and there is no smell of gas or fumes. The sound is there all the time no matter if the engine is cold , warm, idle, or accelerating. I’m wondering if this is just a normal sound or the sound of impending doom!!!!! Here is a video of the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Thats a pretty loud tick. Maybe a bad injector hard to tell. But you should be able to pinpoint that with a mechanics stethescope

3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    That's the injectors clicking on/off

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#4 LorenzoR, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Sounds a little louder than normal. Could be the microphone inhancing the sound tho. id put a stethescope on each injector to see if loudness changes

5. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I’ll give that a try, and yes it is a bit louder due to my phone being held so close to the area. Hopefully it’s just the injectors clicking on/off. I have a drive this weekend that’ll be 4-500 miles and the last thing I need is to blow something up!! :/

6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The injectors are definitely audible on these engines but that sounds a little excessive, but could just be the video as said. Can you hear it from the cabin? Has it become louder?

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sounds more mechanical that an exhaust leak, but I'm no expert at diagnosis.

8. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Not in the Cabin and it’s been about the same. I’ll take her in and get it checked out. Hopefully I’m just being paranoid.

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yeh I was paranoid many years back when I heard my first fuel injected car. What was all that tappet noise? Injectors.

10. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Lol... well I drove 500 miles yesterday and found a couple other noises to be paranoid about !!!

Red 27 likes this.
  11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    They are definitely not quiet cars!

12. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I know you sent me this video and I didn't have any insights then... I still don't as it's hard to tell from the cell phone audio but it sounds like pretty typical for these engines, just louder...

A trick if you aren't sure is to use a broom stick (or stethoscope, or even a long screw driver) and place it on the areas you believe the sound is coming from and place the other end right by your ear. It will magnify the sounds and vibrations.

13. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Thanks dan... i think it’s just the injectors, but I’ll get it checked out.