Thoughts on paint protective film | FerrariChat

Thoughts on paint protective film

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by luca's308gts, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a '98 550 which had the film applied 7 years ago. My local shop that specializes in such applications recommends that I should remove the film as it hardens and can get cloudy as it ages. Further the older it gets the more likely that when it is removed it will take paint with it. He has no problem with applications on new(er) cars (458s 488s...) but not the older car? Basically he said remove the film, drive the car (which I do), and do not worry about a few stone chips.
    So is he correct about the danger of aging film, and am I/us better off without the film and stone chips?

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Is your 550 single-stage paint or does it have a clear coat? Generally, any metallic finish car from that era would have a clear coat, but a solid color (rossa corsa, nero, etc.) may or may not.

If it were my car, I'd be inclined to leave it be till it becomes an issue, you would still be risking lifting paint taking it off to address something that apparently has yet to occur. The cloudiness that he's referencing could also have to do with long-term UV exposure, so if the car spends the majority of its time garaged as opposed to baking in the sun, it could be a long time before you have any issues. If the film is already 7 years old it's probably no more risky waiting on it than it would be taking it off today, but who really knows?

YMMV

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It has a clear coat.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    My 575 has the clear bra way too long. The consensus is if we remove it, there will be, at best, fade lines, at worst, paint removal. Just drive the car and pull it only if you are willing to repaint (IMO)

5. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #5 NE550, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    PPF is great stuff if you want to minimize paint damage from road debris. As with anything do your homework and find a competent shop to apply the film using top-quality materials.

PPF longevity on a car depends on the amount of exposure to the elements and UV and the care given to maintain the PPF. Since most of our Ferraris live a comfortable garaged life and aren't driven that often, there is no reason a well-done and maintained PPF job shouldn't last at least 10 years or so. Also keep in mind that PPF materials have gotten much better in the last 5-10 years.

Removing old PPF is not that hard. I just removed some from my Porsche 993 that had been on there God know how long. Used a heat gun set on 350 deg F, worked slowly and deliberately, and most of it came off fairly easily, but some parts had to be picked off in small pieces. No paint damage involved, although there was some faint lines showing where the edge of the PPF was (these can be compounded/polished out). Kind of a PITA but not hard to do, and certainly not so for any competent car detailing shop that does this kind of work.

Themaven and Il Tifoso like this.
  6. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is true that film can get cloudy with age but this is usually true of older films of lesser quality that were not protected from UV. Any car that I put film on gets film-specific glass coating that protects against UV and swirl damage. That film on your car is 3M film, which at the time was one of the best on the market. I have never bought the argument of "don't worry about stone chips".

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks for this. Was wondering about how to remove the PPF on my 430 which was applied by the supplying dealer in the days when MySpace was a thing.

8. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Pete, thanks for your input - I didn't know the glass coating you put on the car was film specific. This puts me at ease as the car looks just like it did when you had it, albeit with a couple '000 more miles on it.