The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Technically any luxury good is a waste if money. I really don't need over 3/4 the stuff I own. Do I really need 50 white t-shirts..nope, but I hate doing laundry. 12 pairs of Jean's? Nope..4 would do just fine..5 different winter jackets? Nope..

Does anybody need a Ferrari? Nope, a Prius will get you where you need to go just the same as the 300k ferrari will.

Ferrari is a company built around peoples wants, not needs. They sell emotion and a lifestyle people think their product will provide. And they do it the best out of everyone..

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Prius is SUCH a waste of money. The premium you spend for batteries PAYS for gas in 10 years of ownership. Waste not.. want not. The water you waste washing clothes. Sheesh. Can sustain a family in Somalia. Don't wash, air out and wear it. Screw other wasteful people! :) Oh, and for small trips, walk or use a bicycle... the true millennial way!

Ferrari's success is really really simple IMHO. Just tell a successful man "NO!". He'll want you even more. Sure he'll go and buy a McLaren cause he's annoyed at first.. but the fact that others have a Ferrari and he DOESN'T will make him want it even more. It's the same that will happen when someone buys a C8 in lieu of a 430 or 458.. just wait. :)

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so you think c8 will make 430/458 MORE desirable? interesting logic

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There's alot of hype right now... just give it a few months and everybody on the block will have one. :) We want what we can't have.

davemqv and kes7u like this.
  5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i think it will be hard for vette to live up to current hype/expectations but its still going to hurt used exotic market esp lower end like gallardo/360. if it is as good as promised then 430/458 will be effected too.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am not sure I understand any post after mine, though as some of you know I do not get humor. I believe each person has their own definition of what is wasting money. Some could say the 20K a month I donate to charities is a waste of money, the almost 500 ( and that my dogs have their own car)cars I have owned and the amount of money I have poured into modifying them is a waste of money. If that is your perspective, I would be the first to say you are entitled to your opinion. What I don't understand is this is thinking about money instead of the desire (you normal brained people are supposed to have) for the car. I could argue that any car over 30K is a waste of money, but if I believed that I would not have been on this forum for almost 16 years. I struggle to understand the reasons people do things every day, and if anyone would ever like to compare their lives with mine I think you would find unless you were raised in the woods by wild animals (even that might be better than mine), I think you would consider yourselves the luckiest people alive, compared to what I have lived through. I am sure all of you have earned your places in this world, and you should give yourselves a pat on the back, but this is a car forum, it is about the cars. Or at least I thought it was till I made my first visit to the PR section, that thinking I really cannot understand.

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Agreed. I spent $35K+ in 6.5 years to make a 456M perfect. Not a penny was wasted, because I got a deep sense of satisfaction and two trouble free 5K mile vacations out of it.

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  8. 925kevin

925kevin Rookie

Jul 30, 2019
    Cupertino, CA, United States
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    New to FerrariChat. I can't unsee this. Although totally different vehicles, the C8 resembles the LaFerrari silhouette much more than many other Ferraris...GTC4Lusso, Portofino, 812. The C8 is a huge hit to the exclusivity and barrier of entry to the sleek, mid-engine supercar, and a genius move by Corvette.

forrest1 and Golden Steed like this.
  9. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Interesting read about the benchmarks used for the new C8. The 458 seems the closest target.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28433801/c8-corvette-mid-engine-engineering-design-interview/

I'm also curious about the current value of C7 stock at dealerships. There is a 2019 Z51 LT3 with 7-speed manual at my local dealership.
    Current price is $87,795 Cdn (or approx. $67,000 USD). Granted it will take some time for a C8 to show up at dealerships in Canada and I also expect them to be loaded with options but I do wonder it also will create downward pressure on C7s.

Regarding the cachet of Corvette vs Ferrari, you cannot beat the brand recognition of Ferrari and to paraphrase someone else, you probably will not see C8 Corvettes cruising the streets of Monaco. On the other hand there was that company that created the GT40..........LOL

I wouuld love the change to drive a C8 and even consider owning one. Do I consider the car a threat? Of course not. Now, if the car was all electric or electric hybrid (LaFerrari anyone), that would be a whole new ball-game as that could mark the end of gasoline powered exotics.

So, as a senior Coca Cola executive once told my wife: "We could all live in caves, ...it's all about marketing". 1000s of C8 vs 100s of Ferraris. The cachet is preserved.

925kevin likes this.
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

But the high end C8 is suspected to be a hybrid 4 wheel drive car with an 800 HP twin turbo delivering power to the rear wheels and a 200 HP electric motor power the front wheels. And frankly Corvette is as well known or a better known brand than Ferrari. You are probably right about not seeing one on the streets of Monaco. They will be too busy eating up Ferraris on the track, as they generally have in their class.

As I reflect on the car and the many pictures I have viewed my concern is that they made it look to much like a Corvette. I think they should have started with a clean sheet of paper and not tried to make it look like the evolution of the C7.

forrest1 likes this.
  11. 925kevin

925kevin Rookie

Jul 30, 2019
    Cupertino, CA, United States
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The C8 is a threat to other manufacturers on a corporate brand positioning level as well as on a performance level. The C8 basically rendered all new 2-seat sports cars that were priced above $65,000 and with less than 500 HP totally irrelevant. This notably includes all Porsche 718 variants and most Jaguar F-Type models.

I have a few other Ferrari owner friends in Southern California who were pretty disgusted with the Corvette C8. They (well 2 of them) weren't bothered by the car itself, but by what the C8 could do to the perception of prestige and glamour associated with mid engine supercars. Their argument is that they have spent $300k on their mid-engine Ferrari V8 berlinettas, and someone can spend $60-$70k on a C8, and be viewed by the general populace as equivalents (especially in Red, Yellow, or a non-color). One even told me that the idea of his 458 Italia being valeted in front of a restaurant with a C8 was sickening. He pointed out that the C8's proportions are very similar to that of a 488 and McLaren 570S, and that most people would consider them to be in the same league. The fake Rolex of exotics.

This is a very superficial opinion and I was quite shocked hearing it, but have noticed that such thinking exists. At least among a 458 owner and 488 owner, both Chinese in their 20s living in Los Angeles.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    None of it made any sense until the last sentence. :)

13. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not sure Chevrolet is as recognizable as Ferrari…

Italian sports car manufacturer's brand value bested only by Amazon. Ferrari has again been named the strongest brand in the world, surpassing LEGO, Disney, Coca-Cola and McDonald's. According to the Financial Mail, the “Brand Finance Global 500 2019” report says Ferrari is the strongest brand in the world this year

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Your SoCal friends have some issues that need to be addressed.

15. jtc360spider

jtc360spider Rookie

May 5, 2017
    Colleyville, Tx
    Full Name:
    James
    I love my CaliT, but I put my deposit down last week on the new C8. I am definitely keeping the Ferrari, and I will use the new Vette as my daily driver.

16. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My man!

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Wow, just wow.
    Insecure?

anunakki likes this.
  18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Unfortunately, many exotic car and high end brand consumers, no matter the product have some sort of self esteem issue.

Boomhauer and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  19. Gary Sandberg

I don't, I don't, I don't. Even if I'm balding, 50 lbs. overweight and less than 6 ft. tall and shorter than 6 inches. I don't, I don't, I don't. LOL

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  20. Gary Sandberg

Seriously though, pursuant to my previous post, I think the car is a dream finally come true for Corvette enthusiasts and long overdue. On the other hand, I am considering the 2019 Z51 vs a C8 (basically due to manual shift and I don't like the "wall" in the C8 interior (Pink Floyd anyone).

21. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Lolz. Be you, my man.

I'm literally none of these things and I still have my days. I'm tall, Black, well endowed, fit and in spite of my 45 years I still have a full head of dark hair (salty at the temples). But there's always someone taller, stronger, bigger and better looking. Nobody is immune to insecurity. In fact, the closer you are to the top, the worse it seems to get: see all the celebs who get plastic surgery.

Be you. Do you. Don't let nobody tell you nothin'. Remember, my man, you got this far by being you...

BOKE, thecarreaper, forrest1 and 2 others like this.
  22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Everyone has self esteem issues. Everyone. They simply manifest in different ways

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Would you be my friend?

thecarreaper and G. Pepper like this.
  24. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I clicked your "follow" button.

There's just so much negative energy in the world today. I'm just trying not to be that guy....

25. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Placed an order today. Z51,3lt,etc,etc.Final price (msrp) and available options to be determined. The official prices and options may be out by Sept to finalize order.

TheMayor, Boomhauer, DIGMAN52 and 3 others like this.