308 GTS QV Oil pressure | FerrariChat

308 GTS QV Oil pressure

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Hi all,

my oil pressure would routinely sit at around 85 on the gauge - until I drove it today.Today it sat at half that, and wouldn't move much up or down, whether at 4000 rpm or at idle. No oil loss, no funny noises, no oil in water. However, car has just been in shop to have coolant system pressure checked as had a small leak, now fixed. I'm wondering if the sensor may have been disturbed or otherwise be playing up?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Probably coincidence. I'd start by checking the oil sensor.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    +1 on suspecting the sensor, and a good way to have some confidence that it isn't the gauge is to (key "on"):

1. unplug the wire from the sensor and don't touch the unplugged wire end to anything = the gauge should read nothing, then

2. touch the sensor wire end to ground (like the cylinder head or engine block) = the gauge should read maximum.

If you pass those two tests = you can buy a new sensor as the least expensive next diagnostic step IMO. If you don't pass those two tests = not a good sign for the gauge.

tuttebenne, flash32, waymar and 2 others like this.
  4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    FWIW....
    I put a Tee in right off the oil pressure tap and added a small mechanical gauge right on the motor. My sending unit, or increasing resistance in one of the wire connections, would drop the on board gauge reading considerably when the car was fully warmed up. The mech gauge told me the OP was fine, vs the gauge reading.

Doug

tuttebenne likes this.
  5. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Yep, nothing when wire off, full deflection when touched to engine. Guess a new sender required.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

It's hard to get a decent sender. None are marelli and they have 2 ormaybe even 3 different size threads, so be aware of size when you order or make sure you get an adapter.

tuttebenne likes this.