FF values. What's going on? | Page 25 | FerrariChat

FF values. What's going on?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by puckybadger, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    According to Wikipedia (don’t know how accurate that is), only 2,291 FFs were made. So, roughly 2/3 the number of 612 made. Not that rarity is a guarantor of future residuals as I reckon the looks of the FF will appeal to fewer people too.

otakki and FerrariTexas like this.
  2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

So at this stage it seems that 12-13 values for car in 30k plus range is roughly 110k depending on options, service etc.
    25k car are starting at around 120.
    At some point I assume this will
    Bottom up, so much car for the money whose shape has aged well. I anticipate a 12 car with 40k miles being 85 in 2 years.

I was chatting with Ferrari SF which sold for 109k a 39k FF recently and they told me they paid 97k for it.
    Cauley Ferrari has a 41k one which they wanted 115k for, sold in 1 or 2 weeks I assume at least 105k
    Some
    Other examples
    Attached Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The PTU and Getrag transmission issues are just becoming known among the cognoscenti. Wait until that becomes common knowledge. Ferrari is not allowed to work on those units.

I predict FF's will become virtually worthless unless aftermarket solutions appear. Once that transmission can't get a warranty, nobody will buy the car. I believe it's circa 55K miles.

Do you have $25K laying around you'd like to spend on a replacement transmission? Yeah, I have the money, but there are better things I'd rather spend it on.

The FF was promoted as indestructibly reliable. That's not the reality. The PTU's are fragile, as is the transmission housing.

gh0st0 likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Makes sense but still the best car the money can buy performance wise I would argue.

timjen88 and G. Pepper like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Pretty sure njcycle guy on here sold his 20k mile car for under 100k but I might be off...

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Silly question isn’t the 458 using the same transmission?
    I plan on keeping my FF 2 years then trade it in for something else.lusso depreciating a lot too.

IloveGT likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I agree, until the warranty runs out or there is an aftermarket solution. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Then he should have traded it in to Ferrari of SF;) Image Unavailable, Please Login I think u might be off... or they would have given him like 107.
    At auction the one I bought , maybe more options, fetched 97 .

10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, and this is the thing that freaked me out about those transmissions: Ferrari is not authorized to work on them - as I understand it (I'm not a lawyer, and as proof I submit my honor as a man, and my integrity as a human being). There are a couple of horror story threads, but there are only a couple, so maybe just extremely bad luck (Or more to the story). But basically, you have to send them back to the manufacturer to get any service. And replacements are $25K out of warranty, IIRC. Innovation usually wins out, if there is value in the vehicle, but as of now, there is no safety net on these transmissions. The front PTU's are also problematic, but some of that is just the design: if clutches are always slipping, then they are always wearing out.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    When the FF was introduced and I saw the FF on the assembly line at the factory, I always wondered how a two speed front geaxbox could match the tires revs of the rear gearbox up to 4th gear. How much will it wear, I asked myself, as the clutch will be almost always slipping to match the rear revs? Now I have the answer: the PTU doesn't last long.

The FF 4WD system (in my opinion) is very poor and (maybe) suited just for tractors.

I 'm wondering what they will do with the Purosangue: I hope there will be a completely different 4WD system.

I would recomend the V8 RWD Lusso only.

I'm sorry to hear this about my beloved Ferrari factory, but sometimes they do a mess.

May I ask what about front tires wear on the FF? In my opinion that could be another issue due to that unusual 4WD system.

Sorry I don't want to offend anyone nor criticize a big and powerful Ferrari with a great V12 engine and a lot of room inside the cabin: I want just to know something more about this model, as it's the first time I give a look to this forum and I read about this issue.

Thank you very much

ciao

gh0st0 and G. Pepper like this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

I would argue that by going through this forum virtually every Ferrari has a major weak spot... the testarossa had the diff, the old f1 transmission wasn’t necessary perfect...yet we all love them and continue to buy them;)

timjen88 and Albert-LP like this.
  13. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Was there an issue with it? The last price he had it listed for was $125k. Would seem really silly to sell it for $25k less than he listed it for.

I think the transmission thing is overblown (at least so far). There are very few folks who have had issues, and frequently it seems to be a more complicated story than it just failing out of the blue. If it does turn out to be widespread, I'm sure the aftermarket will step up quickly.

The FFs seem to be dropping about 10% a year in price. Which seems about right compared to the typical deprecation curve.

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The FF (and Lusso) PTU failures appear to be due to leaking fluid seals, not worn clutches.

And George, for fact, Ferrari are allowed to work on the Getrag DCT. This is why the DCT failures which affect not only the FF but the 458 and California can be repaired for less than $7500.

I agree that the FF DCT is a $35k time bomb on the FF and V12 Lusso but over time, owners will accept this and it won’t make the car worthless. It will simply make the car worth less...

timjen88, vegasviper and G. Pepper like this.
  15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ptu failures are rare - ur statement as a generalization isnt a fair one.

There was nothing wrong with njcycleguys car. Pretty sure it went for a crazy low price

IloveGT and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    He sold it for 110k - just checked my DMs

Jaguar36 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

If it did then it’s a crazy price like u said. At under 100k or 100k for the mileage he had he must have gone to CarMax or something ;)
    It honestly seem that cars in their 30’s will be 105-115 and 20’s 110-120+ but warranty, service options do matter. I got mine with 2 years of warranty so that I wouldn’t stress over it. I do expect 10% depreciation a year nonetheless ;)

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Makes sense. It was a nice car ; not a lot of options but very nice. It’s what I paid for mine with more miles but 1 year included of warranty and I think mine had more options but clearly options don’t count much come resale time. That’s why I ditched the steering wheel idea and invested in a capristo ;) I’ll enjoy it more ;)

19. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    One of those are nearby, being a non Ferrari dealer, I take it you would need to take the car to a Ferrari dealer to certify ?

20. Natkingcolebasket69

U would need an inspection ; if it passes u and the car has had all its services on time u can have 2 years 8500 or 1 year 6500 if the car has not had all its services.
    I bought mine with the 2 years for peace of mind and though it has a bit more miles than some others to me it’s worth it. Ferrari is pretty strict : they will make u fix stuff before the warranty... for instance I know on mine there was some dct related fault which the owner ignored and before I purchased it Ferrari forced him to spend like 12k on repairs and then I was able to get the car with warranty.

gh0st0 likes this.
  21. vegasviper

vegasviper Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2005
    Las Vegas,NV

The SAP1 repair kit is generally what is used when there is failure in the Getrag. +/-$4K plus labor

otakki, gsworld2014, ANOpax and 2 others like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Good to know!

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thanks for clearing that up. In one of the transmission nightmare threads, the owner of the car in question - a Lusso I think - said none of the dealers could work on the transmission.

They sent his back to Getrag, according to his account.

24. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S

There is a fix for this... my indi is fixed the transmissions.

25. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Can you elaborate on the fix and cost?