So I finally test drove a 458... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So I finally test drove a 458...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fireman1291, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    My wife likes the Cali. Some people call you out when you say it's a girls car, although I know a few guys who drive one.

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    People don't talk crap around mine…haven't figured out why lol

Image Unavailable, Please Login

In all seriousness, it looks good, sounds great, and beats 99% of the cars I've come across including a 900HP Meth Injected Hellcat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But I'm still moving on to the 458! The cali30 HS will always be special to me because it was my first Ferrari and marked a life goal. I really do like the car I just lust after a 458 after driving one.

3. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you liked the 458,have you tried to 488 as that is a (imo a big) step ahead of the 458 in driving dynamics, or maybe that is out of your "car shopping" budget at the moment?

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #29 Il Co-Pilota, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Plenty of girls in 458/488's too. I tend to find that most "men" who spout off about the Cali/Porto being a girls car, haven't driven a Cali/Porto, let alone a mid engine V8 Ferrari or one of the V12 GT offerings.

Chizz, Avia11, Vegas CS and 2 others like this.
  5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes I've driven the 488 and while it was fast and felt more solid, it lost more than it gained to me. The exhaust note, the rawness, the race car jitteriness of the 458. It was too sterile. I could swing it if I stretched but I like living within my means and love to do what I want when I want and travel with the wife so a 488 is out of the question. I'm curious to see what happens when the F8 hits showrooms. The Californias didn't do much when the Portofino hit but then again they aren't flagship cars.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Adam,

My guess is that you’re a 6’3’’ gentleman who knows how to perform martial arts. Most likely people don’t dare :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Clay512TR likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    458 is the best car ever made in my opinion and I’ve driven A LOT of cars. Miss mine greatly.

Fireman1291, Clay512TR, Chizz and 3 others like this.
  8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Another 458 addict going through withdrawal. Hang in there.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    That's why I still hold onto it..
    The 720s looks so good in the Hobb and Shaw movie... I test drove it before long time ago and after I watched the movie, I want it again. Will I want to trade the 458 for 720s? Nope. I knew I will be in withdrawal too!

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Exactly I would love a 720 awesome car but get rid of my 458 for one?

NEVER!!!!

11. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Maybe he wants a naturally aspirated engine that screens to 9k and sounds amazing over an engine with turbos...and for many of us normal people who don’t race for a living, the 458 performance will be leveraged 65% on a good day so what difference does it make if you add more hp and downforce? Plus the 488 has many aesthetic issues whereas the 458 has near zero (I cannot think of one?). Of course this is just my opinion but it is reiterated by many others as well. And then there is the depreciation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chizz, xfrgtr and Fireman1291 like this.
  12. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    someone on this forum said the 458 just gets under your skin

I could not agree more, well said

I drove one, then soon after bought one, never experienced anything like it

docf, Chizz, xfrgtr and 3 others like this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    It sure seems there are a lot of owners who bought the 458 on a love at first sight basis.

Saw it, tried it, loved it, bought it. An impulse, almost mandatory, irresistible, almost a physical thing, like feeling sexual attraction to a beautiful woman.

Those accounts imho help romanticize the 458 even more.

I too never thought about owning a 458, until I drove 20 or so miles behind a friend’s 458 Spider. After seeing how beautifully it looked, under any kind of light, eating up corners at >220kph, how it sounded... We arrived at our destination and I was asked: “So, what’s lunch?”. My reply was: “Give me a minute, I gotta get me one of them 458s!”.

When I found exactly what I was looking for, arrived at the dealer and said “shut up and take my money”.

Despite having the happiness and privilege of driving several, all very different cars, in my relatively short life so far, none inspired me in the way the 458 does.

It *is* alive.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

docf, Chizz, xfrgtr and 3 others like this.
  14. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I recently traded a '16 GT3 RS in on a '13 458. Having previously owned 2 x CS's, 2 X Scuds, and the RS with a Sharkwerks exhaust, I was a bit let down by the sound of the stock 458. I know the previous cars are track beasts and the 458 is meant to be more streetable, but these were initial impressions. That's why I jumped on the Vividracing Kline exhaust deal and bought a 200 cell, valved setup in inconel. :) Love my 458 though. Before the purchase I sat down and thought long and hard about what I really wanted. I got rid of both CS's and Scuds for a reason, not into the turbo thing, cant afford a Speciale, 355 and older are too much maintenance for me. The 458 seemed to be the "sweet spot". The interior and exterior were done so well at time of release that Ferrari has barely changed it 10 yrs on and the looks are gorgeous. Can't wait to get home and go for a drive.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Nice!

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What I love about the 458 is how fun and exciting it is even at lower speeds. The other day I put my foot down and kept it planted in my new M5C. With barely any drama I got up to 165 mph. If there was a data recorder attached I have no doubt the M5 would have done this speed as quickly if not quicker than a 458. But the 458 is ALL FUN, ALL DRAMA. From the immediacy of the throttle response, the noise, the feel. I think since it’s release cars have gotten TOO fast. They continue to. A 570S or 488 is so much quicker in a straight than a 458 with less fun of an experience. Forget a 720S! 5 seconds of acceleration in that car and you’re in jail. Imho the 458 combined experience, performance and looks better than any car ever made.

Chizz, tekaefixe, xfrgtr and 5 others like this.
  17. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I’m on the same path Adam! Nothing like a roof failure to help get me there.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal

wow 2 CS and 2 scuds. What made you sell them and get into the 458? You said you sold them for a reason..can I ask what that was? I ask because I want to add a scud or CS to my 458

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is indeed 100% subjective and I see in the 458 the flaws you see in the 488.

At any rate it does not matter one single bit. Our Fchat brother wants a 458, and it is 110% certain that a 458 will deliver enjoyment and memorable experiences in spades for the years to come, and neither the 458 nor 488 is to be considered a half measure.

Let's not turn this into yet another 458 vs. 488 argument.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    How very true. Well said.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread. I PM’d you.