Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I absolutely love the burbles on my 488 GTB , valves pinned open.

Wonder if the F8 will be the same as the Pista. I would assume it will be. If following the other thread im sure an independent valve opening/closing unit will be designed and available in time. It just needs to be on its own and not wired into the Pista's electronics. Really it very simple but as a kit the ideal positions to mount need to be worked out. It can be done and will be done.

BTW Shadowfax , CONCRATULATIONS :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    The GT2 RS sounds better than the Pista from an owner who drives both. Wouldn't have expected that objective assessment.

LMH likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #53 Shadowfax, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Wouldn't necessarily say better in the sense that both are still equally good in their own individual ways but the 488 is definitely too tame at regular speed for what it is and i reckon there would be very few owners who would argue that. The 2rs otoh always sounds tough at regular speed and is actually quite loud with the sound present to a level where you know you wouldn't want it being any louder at trafficable speed. The Germans have done a stellar job there in providing a perfect mix of edgy rawness with sound to match, whereas with Pista the Italian's just haven't hit that same spot. Doesn't mean the car isn't any good or not exciting enough - just could have and should have been as good as the GT's in that area.

At trafficable speeds with Pista you find yourself looking to apply more revs just to bring the engine to that magic marker where that unmistakable Ferrari sound can be heard. This means having to drop back a gear or two but then you become obvious to other motorists who will know you're just needlessly revving the car higher trying to be heard rather than have the car being able to emit the sound naturally at normal rpms for the speed being traveled.

Anyway I don't want anyone to interpret what I'm saying as the Pista being a dud or a bad car as it far from being that I can definitely assure you all of that much. It's an incredible car in so many ways! The engine still sounds very good - still has that lovely sound of a flat plane crank in a v8 case under load and rpms. As mentioned earlier - much the same was the case with 488 which led to many disconnecting the valves - where the valve controller would certainly be beneficial for certain times.

PS. The Pista engine is naturally - and noticeably - louder than a 488 on idle so also keep that in mind, and when under load at revs is also definitely loud enough. It just needs to sound tougher below 4500 and during off load when not sitting on idle. Now how to do that is the big unknown....at this stage.

anishka, Gh21631, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^My friend has a carmine red gt2 rs. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound, I was expecting more of a vacuum TTS exhaust. Not as good as my Huracan and Ive owned the 991 GT3 and 458 Spider so a little spoiled. My AMG GTS sounded aggressive for a turbo, reminded me of a big block v8. Havent heard a Pista IRL yet.

5. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You prefer the GT3 RS or the 2? Let me guess..... the 3!

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #56 Shadowfax, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Hmm. That's a tough one to answer. The 2rs is seriously intimidating. It sounds tough inside and out - forget all the vids which sound pretty average. 2 has such a perfect blend of raw and edgy and just so precise and well sorted. It's mad. The 3rs has a lot of 2 in it, as it should being a 911 GT however, as truly brilliant as 3 is, - and it really is - stepping into 2 quickly reminds how its found next level in every conceivable way excepting the sound of the 3 at 9000. Hard to top that. But pushing toward the red, 2 develops a similar NA howl as the 3 actually, like it's revving higher than it actually is and has random crackles pops and bangs upon lift off which are so natural and organic sounding. Hard to make a decision between these two - only solution is to own both. And of course Pista! I love it!

tekaefixe likes this.
  7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Wasnt expecting that... was expencting the 3 because the 2 needs special cooling and has a water tank and more complications do detract not add driving pleasure but if you say its scary, say no more, the widow maker car is still alive and well!
    Fun Tastic! I will just open the top and pretend im fast :D

Shadowfax likes this.
  8. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    That's the point or difference to the regular 488:

The Pista has the valves opened on idle and closes on driving off at 1500rpm. Then they only open while pushing the throttle and close right afterwards.
    The 488 has the valves closed on idle and open at 3500rpm and stay open all the time until you get below 3500rpm.

The 488 has a standing noise level of 105 dB with valves closed. The Pista has 103 dB standing noise with valves opened.
    Also all the deep tone bubbling, crackling and misfiring of the 488 have been removed through the software to match the given emission regulations.
    But yes - the tone is very good and for a car with such a level of road noise, the exhaust level is fair enough.

C50 likes this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #59 Shadowfax, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Thanks Johnnugget you're pretty spot on with it going by my own observations on the valves between these two.

488 has a bit more volume once the valves open at 3500 and has a nicer mix of burbling and pops than Pista no question there so far although it will be interesting to see if that changes when Pista is coming off throttle from above 6500rpms. I'm hoping to find some of the burbling returns along with more progressive volume as the revs rise!

Only thing with 488 is that when the valves do open the tone isn't quite as sweet as Pista and creates a level of cabin boom which can wear you down over time/distance behind the wheel. This is where it was always nice to have the controller for the times when you came into the limits of town so you could then keep the valves closed for some respite before the next round/mountain. With Pista you don't have this issue as there is no resonance at any time so that is I guess kind of a good thing you could say.

Pista's engine sounds to have a smoother tone overall, and that makes it automatically sound quieter even when it opens up above 4000. This smoother quieter less harsh engine also takes away from the raw elements in the car such as having no sound insulation, glove box and other pseudo weight saving novelties etc and I therefore question the point of doing these things when the elements don't blend together to work seamlessly in symphony as the Gt's do. It's a bit like the crazy removal of the drivers side door handle and replacing it with a strap which has only successfully managed to work in complete conflict with being able to manage the door when opening it in a restricted space.

With the Gt Porsche it has the reverse situation happening on the door where it uses the same novelty of the strap, but using it as the pull to release the lock so you can open the door, and then has the normal type handle/arm rest which enables the door to be managed properly when opening it in a more confined space. I just don't get why Ferrari did such an ass up tit arrangement when the door is so long/wide and therefore needs a handle to keep the weight of the door from swinging into anything when opening it up in a restricted space. So stupid! I so wish I could just have the passengers door opening arrangement put back on the drives side! Anyway enough of my complaints, back to the sound debate...

458-Italia likes this.
  10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Since Forza is not an option, are there any other similar products available?
    Anyone know if Forza is planning to produce a product?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B

Have you asked Capristo if their controller works for the Pista?

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Right. I just got back from a 200 km return run up the coast in my gt3rs on semi mountainous deserted windy back roads a good part of the way. It was a blast as usual. My God that car delivers the goods. Yes after today I'm afraid to say as good as Pista is, in the sound dept it is so far a bit of a ***** cat in comparison to the 3. I'm tonging to test it over 5000 revs now and need to see how the engine responds and what happens to noise levels as the revs rise and peak out. It has to be good! The 3rs sounds and behaves like it wants to be cut off the leash all the time even at 3000 and a bit below. It is so edgy and hardwired....like a race car. The engine has that gruff lumpy purposeful feel of a highly responsive tuned engine begging to be pushed hard and revved out to max....the lumpiness smoothing out as the revs rise and race toward 9000. But I just love the way you can feel the engine and not just hear it. The volume of sound increases perfectly to the ear as the revs rise and this is how it is supposed to be in these types of cars!!! It really screams loud. I'm so really looking forward to my next Pista drive especially after today's run back.

tekaefixe likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Novitec seems to have a good exhaust solution for the Pista as well as a tune. There are not many others I would trust. I am going to let mine break in before making any changes.

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #64 Shadowfax, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    I'm with you there Gh. Run it in then deal with any shortfall as and where required. Ferrari says keep under 5000rpm for first 1000kms so that's the mission at this stage. It has tons of power and torque below 5000 anyway.. I've only got 400 to go but the word is lift the revs from 1000kms on to 6500 - 7000 max and try not to red it till 1800kms. Fun times ahead!
    Hey here’s a pic i just took of big red next to big red. The reds are a pretty close match actually in more ways than one.

LMH, will89, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    My 3RS was the best sounding car in my collection until I added an 812. It's perfection.

Oddly, I actually don't like the sound of the 3RS as it approaches redline - I feel like it's about to explode. As impressive as the 9k rpm is, I find the sound and various changes in pitch through the midrange to be more pleasing. The intake sound is also special and missing from the regular GT3 due to the location of the intakes.

Agree with your summary of the GT2 RS. Depending on the day and my mood, I actually prefer the sound over the 3RS. It has the right quantity and quality of pops, cracks and burbles to not sound artificial/engineered (although I think they are?).

Bundy and LMH like this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Then you need to put one of these JCR pipes on....full titanium. OMG it's insane. I swear I must be terrifying the wildlife. Is your 3 a .2rs or .1? at 9000 it's like an F1. Seriously good. It's good at any revs. Wasn't cheap but worth every cent.

LMH likes this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It's a .2. A side or centre muffler delete would make it too loud. My solution is to simply short shift to avoid the 'engine-about-to-grenade' warning shrill. The 812, on the other hand, sounds sweet and natural right up to redline.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No not at all. This one is toned off with the silencers and is just right. Center delete is perfect for this car. Agree the side deletes are a headache factory. At first I thought it was a bit quiet as it was much like stock and till you get on it a bit and then it has just the perfect blend....how it should be from factory. I would agree around town at 9000 wot it will scare the pants off outside but inside it's glorious. Zero drone and I mean zero. I'm sure 812 with the v12 at full noise is a whole new ballgame. I'm toying with the idea of the 812 spider but I have a feeling it may be a bit heavy of a car for the type of driving I do. I'm really into the light edgy and powerful feel....with a good sound of course!

19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Not yet but it’s a good thought, especially since their website implies their product is a one-size-fits-all Ferrari models solution
    Since I’m months from delivery, I’ll wait a bit before reaching out as new offerings may develop in the interim.

20. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Neither the Forza nor Capristo exhaust controllers that were designed for the 488 worked on my Pista. That was a few months ago and I don’t know if they’ve since come out with a Pista specific unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C50 likes this.
  21. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    It's working. But no big difference in the low revs as in the regular 488. All the nice deep crackling and stuff have been removed through software.

22. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I talked to capristo last week. A pista version is coming at the same their pista exhaust is released.

23. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You my man, might have 2 of the best cars available at the moment! Congratulations and well done

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Disappointing to hear (no pun intended)

I guess I will survive the loss
    If my priority were only exhaust note, I should have gotten a 355

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hm. I wonder if a Novitec or Fabspeed tune will help.

I remember driving a 458 that had the 2012 update, so no farts and pops. But after the owner installed the Novi piggyback box, boy did it make all sorts of noises. This was with stock exhaust.