GPF is in Pista | Page 4 | FerrariChat

GPF is in Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    I like this thinking, but remember that the GPF weighs over 100lbs itself (around 50kg). Correct me if I’m wrong? So to achieve this, they would have to decrease weight over 250 kgs. The GPF is the worst of both worlds... increases weight and decreases power (and sound).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Not sure how much they can extract out of an 812 but should be more than a 488 to Pista i.e 90kgs.

I for one would pay top $ for a lighweight 812VS

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I doubt GPF weights 50 kg... 50 kg is the weight difference between Pista and F8, and F8 has GPF whereas Pista has not. So if all that difference is due to GPF, that does not leave much for Pista differentiation...

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    It's not just the weight of the GPFs, it is also the weight of all the extra heat shielding required around them to prevent the passenger cabin from getting BAKED!

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and JTSE30 like this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Pista engine is 60% the size of the 812 engine, GPFs are sized to match the volume displacement of the engine so those on the 812 will necessarily be larger and therefore heavier. It is too difficult to compare weight of Pista vs F8 too many other differences involved (besides GPF) plus we do not have a 'final weight' on the F8 until in customer hands...

Just the same, how much does the LaF weigh? I do not see a really lightweight 812 being possible, sure, remove some sound insulation, perhaps thinner glass, more carbon, but how much weight savings will that yield? Would need to be impressive, 200kg would be great...and don't forget slightly extra weight for the new ADAS nannies, probably less than 5kg but it's additional weight.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Mr. Leiters has said in interviews that weight unfortunately is going up. He either says or implies they have some ways of handling this, but the simple fact of the matter is all the extra things add weight. I have heard the GPF for the 812 could indeed add 50kg once you factor in everything. Also, if they are making modifications to the engine to compensate, how much does that weigh?

It would be a shame if they can't do a VS, if that is what they want to do, because of these regulations. I find it silly sports cars are forced under this kind of regime, but often other vehicle types are often exempted- I am thinking of how heavy duty vehicles in the US seem to get out of many regulations.

If such a car were North America or US only, it would be an interesting turn of events, since in the past 20 or so years, there have been many interesting and exciting cars the rest of the world gets but not the US because of our regulations.

With all this said, I don't think the 812 needs more power to make a VS, it just needs all the special things Ferrari is so good at doing to make it even more special. Even more crisp handling, more involving driving dynamics, an even sharper throttle application (this might be tricky with GPF), arresting styling, ohhh I am getting excited thinking about the possibilities!

Who knows if they will make it or not. I think if they do make it, it will be up to the standards they set with the 599 GTO and the F12tdf- so it would be (pardon the overused word) EPIC! :)

7. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Glad to see my possibly erroneous post has resulted in a world class debate and know how.

The thing I am baffled about is why these mistakes are being made and Ferrari is so opaque on this issue, Porsche have spelt it out.

Porsche sat GPF on new GT4 is 15kilos by the way.

8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Is that highlighted part really GPF? I would assume the first half (next to turbos) belongs to Catalytic converter and latter half to GPF.

What I have understood, the exhaust system should be in this order:

Exhaust headers > turbo > catalytic converter > GPF > silencer

9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Looking at that picture, it's a picture of SF90 which does have GPF. Pista does not.

10. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    True. I should have mentioned it when awakening this topic from a 5 year sleep. :)

I'm just trying to figure out how much weight GPF adds in general and is the added weight directly proportional to engine volume or horsepower.

11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It was originally explained that it would be truly ruinous- so much more weight, so much less sound, less power, just impossible. Like when cars were first fitted with cats back in the 70s and horsepower just dropped. It turns out, it seems to depend. Surely it must add some weight, and the sound on NA cars is different- outside the car it does seem like its quieter and there is a sense I get that the car sounds like its a little further away and some of the higher frequencies are rolled off a little. On the turbo cars, they did the best they could, but it really hurts the sound. However, you never really hear much about most people upset with the sound of these cars. I think it's because what sounds good is a bit relative to the times, and relative to the times, the Ferraris still sound good. Anyway, on the pic, the GPF is integrated into that big unit with the cats, who knows what else is in there.

inox likes this.