The Pista and the F8; A Fresh Perspective | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Pista and the F8; A Fresh Perspective

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    But that is the problem. It's pretty much yesterday's news all ready since Ferrari negative to model McLaren's model of pumping so many cars in relatively short time.

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m not sure about that. I think they have used the existing chassis for a third model because of other reasons. The WLTP regulations adding development pressure across all models, the introduction of SF90 hybrid - a new model and a complicated one from a calibration and development point of view, the need to install GPF necessitating an early redesign of 488 anyway and the need for 488/F8 platform replacement to be both V6 and hybrid. They usually do the mid engined car after the Cali/Portofino which uses the same power train but detuned so they also have that to do. That’s quite a backlog.

When they finally introduce a replacement platform I think they will go back to two models from it. The F8 is an unusual model borne of necessity not strategy. The ‘new world order’ will look like more platforms, filling more niches in the market, higher prices and added value such as TM and Atelier. The market is moving too fast for them to stay in front by sweating the same platform more and more times.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s good to have the choice though. You could argue that neither brand really wants it exactly like that - McLaren, while they are in a volume-growth phase, would rather have more customers and a longer waiting list to help them deal with the discount culture that sometimes they have to resort to - upside is that most customers can actually get cars while they are still new. Ferrari have promised growth in revenues to the market and they have done it with a sophisticated strategy of more distinct models at higher prices - downside is that they are struggling to manage it and repeated delays to product mean cars are too slow to get delivered so feel old when they are new.

| saw 812 at Feb 2017 VIP launch, deposited straight away, car now again delayed until at least October 2019. By the time it arrives the model will probably only have a third of its life left. I know the UK has been particularly slow for some reason but I planned to use it on trips this summer and have bought a different car for that instead. When it arrives I’ll probably have new Pista Spider, F8 and 812 for next summer with SF90 and 812 Spider for the summer after that. Too many cars in a short space of time and I won’t keep them all. It remains to be seen how the market will cope with them all. Unless they are all delayed (likely for the UK), in which case the cars are old when they are new. The other downside to the Ferrari approach is that with a longer order bank you are more vulnerable to a downturn in the economy, continually predicted to be a few months away but one day it will be true.

People argue about McLaren depreciation (which I believe is a real issue for them) but there is an upside and that is that supercar buyers make the illogical decision of buying a supercar because they want to drive something quick, exotic and very modern. They are all paying a high price to do that, whatever the brand, therefore paying a little more and getting a car while it is still cutting edge and fresh from the designer’s table is a good thing and to some worth paying extra for. That applies to Lambo too.

tekaefixe likes this.
  4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I totally agree. I was at the Ferrari dealer this morning had a discussion with the manager. Industry believes the F8 will drive down cost of 488 eventually and subsequently the 458.