Who can work on a 308 in or near Winnipeg? | FerrariChat

Who can work on a 308 in or near Winnipeg?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dino246gt, Aug 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Since Continental Cars moved out of Winnipeg, I can't find an experienced mechanic, I need a major, where to take it? It's injected, 1982. Thanks for any advice, Dennis

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

You will soon find out it is you.

3. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I hope that's not true!
    I've been waiting all Summer for Eurocars to get back to me, I booked a major this Spring, but that's 3 months ago! Seems like they're not really interested maybe?
    What about Calgary? I know they service Ferraris but the older ones?

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Not certain on your version of major. T-belts, adjust valves, ancillary (filters, plugs, hoses, fluids) can be performed by yourself depending on your level of mechanical ability. Just saying......

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    There are a few independent shops in Calgary that are trusted. Riegel Tuning https://www.riegeltuning.com/ was advertising service capabilities for older Ferraris a couple of years ago and had hired several of the local experienced techs - I know several 308 owners had used them and were happy with their work. I don’t see any mention on their current website of Ferrari support, so it would be worth calling them - if they don’t work on Ferrari’s any more, maybe they could advise where their former Ferrari techs are now working.

(I do all my own work on my 308 so far in my 6 years of ownership, so have no personal recommendations)

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The belt change service is technically not that difficult. Any competent shop can handle the belt change, although they may be reluctant to take it on because of the learning curve of working on an unfamiliar marque of car. The problem with Ferraris is the mystique surrounding them. From a maintenance perspective, they are just plain old cars.

I wanted to get my K-jet CIS checked for mixture. I took it to a nearby shop that serviced old Jaguar and Rolls Royces because those cars also used k-jet. The shop owner, a very earnest man, asked for all the technical details I could give him about the car and he studied it at night. He did a great job.

I tell the k-jet anecdote, because it may be that you will need to reassure and coach the shop as to how to do the job. Bring printed copies of the Birdman procedure, etc. The problem is that servicing such an exotic will not generate repeat business. Cranking through the BMWs makes them more money.

As you know, there are a few other Ferrari owners in Winnipeg. You might reach out to them too.

7. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    The fuel injection unit needs service but all the shops got rid of the equipment for those, on Jags, Mercedes, etc. Did someone say Birdman had info on working on that system? Both distributors also could be rebuilt. Last major at Continental Cars did include valve adjustments etc. they know 308s, but they're gone. Car runs fine as is, I just want it better.