Why not jump start? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why not jump start?

Discussion in '360/430' started by rquad, Aug 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You can aim a revolver loaded with one bullet at your 360 and pull the trigger five times without anything bad happening too. Does that mean that it's safe to do it again?

2. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I think you are exaggerating !! Provided you do everything right, there shouldn't be any risk damaging the car !!

3. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Since I've unintentionally started The Thread That Will Never End, let me see if I can get a clarification. I get it that it's never smart to jump-start from another car, but is the consensus that it's OK to get one of those jump-start boxes and keep it in the Frunk, and it's OK to use?

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you aren't going to get a unanimous answer. if you are stranded in a parking lot at 2am id jump the sucker. thats just me.

Skidkid likes this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I would never ever jump a 360 period unless you like to significantly increase the odds of your ECU's dying and landing a bill for thousands of dollars. I've been at the sharp end of this thread and had to repair so many car ecus that have died as a consequence of it..

If you absolutely must do it in an emergency situation the only location on the vehicle where its less risky is absolutely not at the battery terminals but at the point where the alternator cables feed in power which requires you to remove the panel behind the seat. There are also things you can do to help reduce time spent in danger zone such as put on your headlights and aircon. This will act as a sink to consume some of the power helping to preventing surges at weak spots in the ecus design. It only takes a few milliseconds to cause irreparable damage.

Both dashboard and engine ecus do not have sufficient voltage transients protection to survive or not have their lifespan weakened by such events. Yes you may get lucky but you may not. Is it really worth it?

MCASEY and MalcQV like this.
  6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    So following on from that the best thing is to attach your battery tender and wait for another day?

7. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    In short, yes. Use a battery charger if at all possible and crank the engine under it's own battery power with no external influence.

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred