430 - Regular F1 vs Scud F1 | FerrariChat

430 Regular F1 vs Scud F1

Discussion in '360/430' started by c6vette, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Forgive me if this has been asked before but I tried searching and didn't find anything. What are the mechanical/electrical differences between the regular F430 F1 and the Scud F1 trans? I know the Scud shifts much faster but my question is why? I really enjoy my F430 but can't help but think how much better it would be with a faster trans.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Simple google search turns up this...

From the Ferrari website: https://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/past-models/430-scuderia/

F1-SuperFast2 is the latest development in the F1 Gear used on all Ferrari models. Reducing the time needed to change gears, expressed and calculated as an interruption to acceleration (not merely as the time required to select a new gear) is based on the “parallelization” concept of the times necessary for the various operations:
    - cutting torque and disengaging the clutch;
    - disengaging, selecting and engaging the gear;
    - engaging the clutch and returning torque.

These operations are usually performed sequentially. With the F1-SuperFast2, a fully integrated and totally innovative software management system for the engine and gear-shift system allows the gears to be disengaged/engaged at the same time as the clutch is opened and closed. The result is that the 430 Scuderia benefits from a further-reduced gear-change time which can be as low as 60 ms.

This figure, the shortest in the Ferrari range, guarantees maximum sports-car feel, but without penalising the comfort of the driver or passenger. The 430 Scuderia transmission maintains the rear, longitudinal 6-speed architecture (plus reverse), all equipped with multiconal synchronizers, which assure excellent performance when changing gears. The gears and bevel type final drive have been modified both in speed ratio and geometry in order to optimize the application of the torque delivered by the engine which guarantees faster acceleration.

Flea7 likes this.
  3. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    I was looking for more info on what parts or software is different. Not a vague description of why it’s better

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You may be happier with the information in the thread here https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/430-does-not-shift-fast-enough-for-me-can-i-get-a-challenge-430-tcu.311702/
    Bottom line, you cannot "upgrade", as each change in the software on the 430 included technical changes to the transaxle that (apparently) require them to be done at the same time, and would also include changing engine ECUs, and F1 wiring loom according to Mstewart. 2008 and 2009 F430 have slightly faster shifting in Sport and Race mode at greater than 40% throttle input. 120ms versus 150ms. As of course the 16M and Scuderia a claimed 60ms at greater than 40% throttle input in Sport and Race

5. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Thanks f355spider that is an interesting thread!

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Gears are also different between the 2 trans.

Having driven both, the F430 feels like a GT shift. The Scud feels like a race shift. The 60ms difference is next level.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I've been doing research on the transformation from 430 f1 to superfast II.
    I've 1 thing not too sure .

If I did a part-to-part swap from a f430 coupe to a scud EXCEPT the the cat back exhaust, am I going to run into a problem?

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    The key point is that the superfast is fabulous but its most certainly not worth 100k

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    hence SCUDs are overpriced vs F430s

10. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Out of general interest is the 599 F1 the same as F430 F1? or does the 599 have superfast2?

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It's probably more like $50-75k difference in the U.S

You still have:

1. Cooler looking front & rear bumpers, sideskirts, carbon mirrors, carbon rear diffuser, front lip, headlights in some cases.
    2. Carbon race seats
    3. Carbon & alcantara trim
    4. Carbon engine bay
    5. More powerful and responsive engine
    6. less cats, less header issues, less CEL issues to work around
    7. Better looking wheels
    8. Better brakes
    9. Stripes
    10. Carbon door cards

That's gotta be worth at least $50k.

Flea7, Shark01 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Don't forget the suspension upgrades

ShineKen likes this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Scud is under priced IMO. The list of changes is huge and the driving experience still offers a lot more character and fun than the later (more capable) stuff.

ShineKen, Shark01 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    599s have Superfast I, with min shift times of 100 ms or 85 ms (HGTE). GTOs had Superfast II with min shifts of 60 ms.

Scuds are definitely not overpriced vs the F430. You get what you pay for in this case.

ShineKen likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.....thumbs up for consistency,big entertainment factor.

Need to get you and Scuderia09 into a cage fight.

freshmeat, LightGuy and f355spider like this.
  16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Two men enter, no man leaves

freshmeat likes this.
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    lololol good one Dave.