FORMULA 1 JOHNNIE WALKER BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 14 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 JOHNNIE WALKER BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Good point - how many times has he run into a Ferrari trying for a space that, in Martin Brundle's words, was always going to not be there.

Anybody could make a lunge on the inside and then say the other guy turned in on me, didn't see me, took his regular line...

At least this time he paid the price for his stupid mistake. Eventually, he might even stop doing that.

kandi likes this.
  2. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    If I look at this picture I don't understand why Kimi took such a risk by diving on the inside of the corner from the middle of the track knowing he had so many cars behind him, look at the space on his left:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I'd better look at interesting racing line by Max Vercrashen. He thinks he's a red bull on a corrida? :D

Flea7, LVP488 and ingegnere like this.
  4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Kimi:

"I was concentrating on slowing down because the Mercedes took a tight line so I had to slow down a lot. Honestly I didn't see him"

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Sorry, but why is Max always expecting that people do not drive on the race line because he wants to make an ambitious pass there? He is behind, he has the car in sight in front of him and just like with the two Ferrari back then he opted to go for it.... WHY???
    I do not think Max is back to his "usual self" because I think he is much better this year but still he did go for a dissapearing gap again ruining his and Kimis race.

And a good question is why he drove on up to eau rouge? He must have felt that the car is broken...

ATBNM3, jcurry, bmwracer and 2 others like this.
  6. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    And almost took Kimi out a second time going up the hill. That would have been nasty.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Watching the replay, Kimi had the line.

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The guy can’t just let ferrari win the one race their package had a chance at without whining. What’s the betting he also sent a note to his friends at the FIA asking for tests to be done on the Ferrari to try to get our engines reigned in lest we win at monza too, probably the only other circuit we could get victory at this year. Can’t he be happy that his ****ty merc spec tyres conspired to try to steal the win in the latter laps for him anyway? They managed to take second place from Vettel for him. Prick

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Bas likes this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Max has all 4 wheels OFF THE TRACK. I have no idea why he wasn't penalized here. How is Kimi supposed to know someone is off the track when they are not supposed to be off the track???

G. Pepper, Flea7, Picchu88 and 7 others like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Kimi was T-boned by a car wandering completely off track limits.
    How the can call that a racing incident, I don't know.

Flea7, ATBNM3, Nortonious and 2 others like this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

All the cars stayed on the track except one -- MAX.

Just look at the angle that Max had to the corner at the time of the accident. How was he supposed to make that turn??? Its tighter than Monaco!

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. Hence Max not blaming Kimi....(in other words, my bad!:p).

Nortonious and F2003-GA like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bet you anything he went to the FIA and asked for a complete check down,. Merc engine not totally superior? Someone must be cheating, ja?

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You mean not blaming Kimi after he saw the replay....

Nortonious and william like this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't care what anyone says. The video evidence is concrete.

Max went off the track to try to pass Kimi in the first corner. He was not squeezed off the track by anyone. Max had another poor start and was a victim of his own orange mist. Kimi couldn't see him and took his correct racing line.

Stop making excuses for this guy. He screwed his race and Kimi's race. End of story.

Flea7, Picchu88, ATBNM3 and 6 others like this.
  16. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Lot's of speculative, tainted opinions. Typical Singhof I'd say.

But to answer your questions.

Maybe because it's the start of the race ? and Max doesn't make a pass, he's just on the inside, and not behind but beside for the most part. The 3 cars in the picture behind Kimi and Max somehow do make it around the corner in one piece. Kimi even had the opportunity to pass Max because Max had a very bad start.

Maybe Kimi with all his experience should've know that to be alive one should leave others alive and not take sharp angles in midfield in a mediocre car just after the first straight of a race start. He should've at least expected that there were cars on his inside right.

Kimi was naive and dumb. Max just naive.

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Please don't forget to add that your 'answers' can also be construed as "speculative, tainted opinions".;)

P.Singhof and william like this.
  18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Just look at the angle Kimi took into that corner from the middle of the track. What was he even thinking (and drinking during his holiday).

And it's obviousy not tighter than Monaco, but somehow Kimi makes it tighter than Monaco.

Kimi was still on holiday.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    totally agree and its not for the first time this guy has done it either.

If it was KR who hit his front wheel at Eau Rouge then it sounds like a bit of retaliation & red mist by KR, it did him no favours as it damaged his car but I would have done the same. It was a text book side swipe and well deserved.

william likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Explain please how Max ended up with all 4 wheels off the track in the first corner.

Oh, you can't.

Picchu88, 375+, jpalmito and 4 others like this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. So did Seb. Of course, his line was on the outside of the corner.

375+, Nortonious and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  22. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    It's the angle, a result of Kimi's overconfident corner entry and exit trajectory, also known as squeezing.

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There was no "squeezing", since Verstappen's car wasn't supposed to be there in the first place !!

You are really clutching straws here, defending Mad Maax !!!

He drove off track and got punished for it. End of ...

F2003-GA likes this.
  25. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Wasn't supposed to be there in the first place ? who determines who should be where during a chaotic race start in F1 ?

Toto Wolff ? Kimi ? Or are some clutching straws by defending Kimi ?

You can't just make those angles amidst of a pack of F1 cars charging to the 1st corner without expecting someone on the inside.

Reality is it's a race incident, the both of them share part of the blame.