458 - 458 italia/ speciale back up camera(aftermarket) | FerrariChat

458 458 italia/ speciale back up camera(aftermarket)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kimwizzzuuu, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
  2. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    ooooh I want. I think I heard our cars are prewired for back up cameras?

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Also interested

Sent from my 16M

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Back up camera solutions are comprised of two parts:an interface module and the camera.

The interface module is what integrates into your infotainment that allows the camera to share the image it’s capturing. Usually there’s only 1-2 players on the market for a car like a Ferrari.

For the actual camera, there are hundreds of models. Most will be compatible with the interface.

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    do you know if the interface module comes as standard even though you did not opt for the back up camera from factory?

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yes, does anyone offer a simple plug and play?

Sent from my 16M

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Does anyone have those very simple and cheap license-mount cameras that send the signal to your mobile? Maybe not the best by itself but I am considering it as a sensible complement to the parking sensors, you know in very difficult situations...
    I don't know how to ideally wire it to the reverse light wire (does anybody know what color is the reverse wire, and where is best to tap into it?), but it must be very easy to wire it as always-on to the license light wire, and possibly power it with no bumper drilling.

plastique999 likes this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Glad you posted this...I like this idea.
    Searching on Amazon here are a couple

nonda ZUS Smart Backup Camera, Real Wireless Rear View Camera with 170 Degrees Wide Angle and Rechargeable Battery, IP67 Waterproof, Easy Installation with No Wiring or Drilling Needed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSJVLR8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n1IHDbM3FP6D2

Calmoor License Plate Wireless Backup Camera with Night Vision IP69K Waterproof 170 Degrees Wide Viewing Angle WiFi Reverse Rear View Camera for Cars RVs Pickups Simple Installation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLPG9HP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b2IHDb9VAWAVR

Sent from my 16M

9. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Yes, one of those.
    I am not sure I like the idea of the camera having its own rechargeable batteries: on one hand for sure installation is simpler, on the other hand the unit is bulkier and you never know wether it will work. I bet not, the time you need it.
    I think the most elegant powering is, as I said, by tapping into the backup light, but tapping into the license light instead will keep it always on, which may be better, as I assume that it takes some time to connect to your mobile at any "reverse-on", whereas if it is always on I think connection is also always on and readily available.
    I was also looking at things like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6/ref=psdc_1253823011_t1_B07QLPG9HP
    not only because of the price, but mainly because it is a lighter and smaller device, so easier to place and stealthier.
    Now: is there anyone using it?
    And: is there anyone willing to help by providing instructions on hot to tap into the correct reverse wire? I would assume tapping into the license light is straightforward (pull the light out, tap in, replace), and possibly easier for the layout; I think you just run like 1" of wire out of the same bumper opening where the license light is replaced, by gently squeezing it...