What kind of spark plug wires to use? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What kind of spark plug wires to use?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ak Jim, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The 77 US carb car I just redid had red wires. I bought in bulk 7mm red wire with the proper ohm resistance as original. Made up my own set that copy factory and work great.

Peter likes this.
  2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Ahh, see, that was what I was looking for, bulk 7mm red wire. Brand and source? In a pinch, I picked up a universal set at NAPA the other day and will be using it. It's in a navy blue color. The shortest wires measure out in the 3K ohm range up to around 6K ohm for the longest... Nice set, I didn't need to trim much off for the correct length (number corresponds to Alfa Romeo applications).

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL700262?keywordInput=700262

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I was thinking 308 and 365. See my avatar picture.

BTW I have used those NAPA wires on my car for many years. I would just purchase two universal 6cyl sets.

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Okay, now I know what you’re talking about...

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams

6. JonathonTate

JonathonTate Rookie

Feb 15, 2022
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Jonathon Tate
    Did these wires work well? I ordered a set of 8mm and realized I need 7mm for my 81 GTSi.

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I am quite happy with accuspark distributor in Europe (https://www.ccee.nl/accuspark/htleads.htm):
    1. I just specified what I needed, and no discussion he just made it for me (he does not list V12 but makes them at a cheaper price than 2 x V6).
    2. As I wanted to reuse the metal brackets without damaging them, I asked for only one end of the lead to be crimped so as to be able to insert the other (bare) side of the wire through the brakets.
    3. I do have a proper crimping tool, but the seller included a small set of jaws that would allow any-one to do it with a vise (nice idea).
    4. Also the boots and the wire insulation do melt together after a few minutes, really impressive.
    5. The terminals are really high quality, and if you need to repair old carbon HT leads I would really recommend them as they come with an extra copper bit that is really useful when dealing with cheap ht leads.
    6. I went for the stealth cables that is only available black and 8mm. That's a tight fit but the wire is slippery which makes it doable. The other cables are available in smaller diameter and various colours.
    Best cables and service I've come so far.