360 - Adjusting the front coils | FerrariChat

360 Adjusting the front coils

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Had my 360 up in the air and tried to lift the driver's side front about 10 to 15 mm. The sticking point seemed like the rubber between the rings. I could only get the adjusting ring to turn about a 1/6th of a turn then I could not get it to go any further. Looks like the threads are all good and the car spent it's life in CA, NV, and AZ --all dry climates and it is really clean underneath with no signs of corrosion at all.

Any tips?

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

only way to do it, if you can't rotates no more, is to take out the shock/spring assembly, using a spring compressor, then it will be easy to turn

after you clean everything up, it is easy to turn in-situ, not when you have gunks in there sometimes.

f355spider likes this.
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You really need to remove the shocks from the car, especially if lifting the car. You risk stripping the threads on the shock body otherwise. As stated above, remove, use spring compressor and with clean and lubricated threads, then attempt to adjust with a properly fitting wrench. My local dealer says that is the only way they do it. You might get away with lowering the car without removing the shock...maybe.

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Ok Thanks. Kind seems like it defeats the purpose of adjustable coil overs. My other cars that have coil overs (some aftermarket) allow for complete adjustments with the suspension in place.
    I've got a couple varieties of spring compressors so not a problem but certainly a bigger project than I anticipated.

f355spider likes this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Same, never had a problem adjusting Bilstein PSS or KW coilovers on my BMW while in place. Apparently it is the aluminum perch and shock body, plus stiff factory springs that can risk stripping the threads. Plus, those shocks are not cheap, so better safe than sorry. I had a local race shop ruin one of the shocks on my F355 spider trying to raise it. So it can definitely happen.

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have a bit of a rub that actually took a chunk out of the front left tire. No other problems at the other 3 corners. I have rolled the front fender lips but the driver side seems to be problematic. I only weigh 190lbs so I can't say it's my fat ass. :D

Getting a new set of tires for the front here soon so I want to get the driver's side up a bit and get an alignment.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    So my question is could anyone give me a guide as to how much lift/lowering I would get with say a half a turn or some such guideline. Since this is not something it seems I can do easily by simply leaving everything in place and turning the threaded collars while the shock is in the car.

Thanks in advance, Ken in Florida

PS: any tips would be greatly appreciated.

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those rubber inserts are a PITA. They are cheap and crack in time.

If you have the inclination then fit the derlin inserts from the Scuderia- they will adjust (just about!) with a bit of Teflon lubrication.

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    You will get approximately 2 mm lift/lowering per turn (1.5mm pitch on shock + ratio 0.7 between shock length change and chassis height change --> 1.5/0.7=2.1)

KC360 FL and brookliner7 like this.
  10. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    You can do it with it in the car, you just need the right spring compressor that's small enough to fit in there to take the tension off the top hats/perches. Once you compress the spring it should no longer be touching any of the rubber gaskets or perches. You can hose down the threads with PB Blaster and let it soak if they don't want to rotate initially, shouldn't have any problems.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

KC360 FL likes this.
  11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    thanks to all here. great place this forum. ;)