430 - Adding weight to the trunk | FerrariChat

430 Adding weight to the trunk

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Sep 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hey gents...quick question of curiosity for the experts. I have an '07 F 430 Spider. I had some recent exhaust work done this past week (removed cats, added pipes with baffles attached and added a capristo engine bracket to control the vibration and protect (hopefully) the headers from cracking. he also added an "amazing" remote gizmo that allows me to open and close the valves from the drivers seat. Super cool feature when I want to go stealth in my neighborhood....which is rare!!

Anywho, my tech gave me all of the take off parts to keep for when / if I ever sell the car, especially if to someone where they have smog tests (I live i FL). he put all of the parts in the front boot, which I am going to guess collectively weighed 20-30 lbs. Maybe its all in my head, but I can SWEAR the car drove that much better on the way home. Felt more planted than ever (which is tough to do),turned in crisply on some twisties, etc.

Sooo, the newbie question is this....does anyone ever purposely put some weight into the front trunk to enhance the handling I dont track the car at all, but do love to drive it as hard as practical and safe on the roads, and really enjoyed the handling today. Or, is it possible that the new exhaust note, which is amazing, made the car feel like it drove better :)

Thanks in advance

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm going to guess that since you remove the cats and even though you have some baffling there that your engine is breathing easier. And that's what you're noticing..... I had a 2006 Maserati coupe 6-speed. And believe it or not Maserati put an exhaust squished pipe with a cat that went underneath some framework. Between the squished pipe that was restricting the exhaust flow big time and the cat, when removed I can feel a huge difference in the way to engine performed

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    For reference, a 30 pack of Keystone Light in the frunk makes little to no difference in handling so far, but I am currently testing my hypothesis on a weekly basis. Will report back when more data is available.

LightGuy and cole328 like this.
  4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Maybe 2 cases of Mich Ultra in the frunk would work better☺

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014