458 - Speciale Brakes Don't Seem to Bite | FerrariChat

458 Speciale Brakes Don't Seem to Bite

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kansas488, Sep 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    I have an F12 and a Speciale. After driving the F12 hard at a rally this past week, I noticed getting back in the Speciale that the brakes don't seem to have any initial bite or precision. When I want to brake hard, I feel like I have hit push hard and it still doesn't feel like there is any bite like in my F12.

Is this normal for the Speciale? My car only has 3K miles and I bought it with the Ferrari one year extended power warranty. It's difficult to describe the issue - when I press on the brake pedal I feel like it is hard and feels a bit numb. Pushing hard brings me to a stop but it just feels nothing like the F12 brakes. I don't live near a Ferrari dealership so trying to determine if this is normal for the 458 Speciale feedback or if I need to get it picked up.

I had such confidence pushing the F12 hard at the rally I was at early this week. I don't think I would have been as confident in the Speciale which seems wrong. I realize ceramic brakes can need to warm up, but I don't have this issue with the F12.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Also does anyone know if the Pista brake feel/bite is improved over the Speciale?

2. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    If you haven't driven the car for a while or hard for a while, then this feeling is common. Consider next time you go out, once the engine is warmed up, do about 3-5 braking events from around 60 mph, starting with mild pressure and then gradually increasing pressure in each subsequent braking event. Wait 15-30 seconds in between each event. This will help to clean off the surface of the rotors and the pads and also start to bring the system up to temperature. The exact number of times, speed and pressure may vary based on the condition of the car.

If the pads are severely glazed, a thorough rebedding procedure is in order. See this thread for an example:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/scuderia-brake-pad-bedding-in.457824/

Once warmed and clean, the brakes on these cars are phenomenal and should feel that way. Generally, the harder you drive them, the happier they are (of course once warmed up). Overly light braking tends to glaze the pads or cause inconsistent contact patches with the rotors.

YMMV.

Caeruleus11 and kansas488 like this.
  3. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    Thank you! Went out and did some hard braking and it did seem to help. Will follow the full instructions tomorrow. Was a little nervous something didn't seem right. Glad it is just due to a lack of hard use!

Caeruleus11 and johnr265 like this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As John mentioned...first thing came to my mind was brakes are glazed, perhaps need to be bedded.
    Second thing is to maybe have brake fluid changed.
    My Speciale has good braking, but it’s interesting how different ceramics have different “bite.” My MurcieSV bites too much, CGT have to stomp on them to work....

Sent from my 16M

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sounds like they need bedding in and a proper thrashing.

Also consider having your brake fluid checked. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and it will attract moisture and diminish performance. This happens more in cars that are not driven more than in cars that are used.

Cars don't like to sit. Get some miles on it.

6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    My Speciale felt the same from new. It wasn’t until after doing ~5 reasonably hot laps at a track did it change. Now the bite is instant and aggressive.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Or, a detailer contaminated the rotors with something. Always apply tire dressing to a sponge first and wipe on, don’t spray. Unlike iron rotors, carbon ceramic rotors can be permanently contaminated with some shine products. Braking performance doesn’t just go away from non-use. New brakes do need to be bedded with hard use, followed by cool down.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would tend to think, even if some of the chemicals were to get into the carbon ceramic rotor compound, elevating the temperature of the brake rotors through hard braking would probably cook most if not all of it out. Also, with only 3K miles, I would wager a guess that neither the motor, nor the brakes, have fully been broken in :)

As others have said, these cars like to be driven pretty hard. I've owned several Ferraris where the previous owners must have been very tame with how they drove their cars. Once I got a hold of them - and usually after about 5K or 10K miles - they were like a totally different machines.

To me, a car is like a hand tool; it's there to do a job and it had better be able to stand up to hard use and a little abuse now and then - or it's gonna risk getting replaced to make way for something that can.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese and johnr265 like this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed, but it depends on the chemicals. Some can actually fuse with the ceramic material with high heat. Still worth trying to bed them, though.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I can believe it

Ray

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    After a 15.000 Euro lesson learned, all I can say Ray is that you’re absolutely right as always, although heat alone won’t uncontaminate the rotors.

Beware of chemicals. Don’t spray them. Carefully apply on a clean, soft cloth first.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

12. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Believe the Speciale uses a harder more track oriented pad than F12 though I am uncertain. This results in the brakes needing more heat in them to maximize effectiveness.

Remember the Speciale is meant to be driven harder and is engineered that way; F12 more street oriented.

As others have said the more the car sits the less well it drives ...

kansas488 likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Quite sure the Speciale and 488 share the same brakes. Nothing special about them.

Fwiw, Ferrari branded Brembo brakes are not exactly the best of the best. Heck, a lot of these OE CCM rotors are laminated rather than solid CCM rotors. That's in part why they have such a ridiculously low lifespan when pushed.