458 - Rear CCM Rotor Removal | FerrariChat

458 Rear CCM Rotor Removal

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hgoodwiniii, Sep 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all, I need to remove my rear CCM rotor and it seems to be seized on the hub. I know with steel rotors we would just whack them a bit to get them to loosen up. How do I get the CCM rotor to loosen up it without damaging it? Thanks.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hmmm. Thinking that as long as it is the hat and not the rotor you wack, I'm thinking it should be okay? Only thing is I believe the hat is aluminium, not iron, so it might not take too hard of a wack.

What about heating the hat up with a heat gun and see if it will release?

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's been a while, but aren't there a threaded hole in the hat that lets you screw in a bolt that pushes against the axle flange? Some rotors have this. It's usually a smaller hole like 8-10 mm dia.

Can you snap a pic of the face of the rotor hat?

4. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    #4 hgoodwiniii, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Ok, I send a picture in a couple hours when the sun comes up and I can get better lighting in the garage; Right now I can't get a good shot with flash and the garage door down. Thanks.

5. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi II Co-Pilota here is a pic of the rotor. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi II Co-Pilota, I got it off; I used heat and a few taps around the hat; Thanks.

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're welcome. Heat solves a lot of things:)

Did you have to remove the caliper, or did it come off with only the pads out of the caliper?

Just curious. Are any of the five smaller holes between the wheel mounting bolt holes threaded?

8. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    I had to remove the caliper, as well; None of the 5 smaller holes have threads; I am now trying to get the rear hub off; The bearings are shot on the passenger side. I am using a bearing puller I borrowed from the autoparts store; That thing is about to die; I am going to heat the hub in just a bit. Hopefully, it will come unseized.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh boy. Pulling bearings... Probably the thing I loathe the most when working on cars. Yup, heat that thing up and see if that will help. Pulling bearings can be a chore.

10. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Please let us know how it works out.

11. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    The hub is off! I used heat, liquid wrench, a 7 ton bearing removal tool and prayers to get it off. What a pain; LOL: The thing that concerns me is that the bearing removal tool defaced the edge of the axle a bit. I hope that's not a problem. The old bearings proved to be pretty bad once I got the hub off.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Are they flanged bearings?how bad are the marks?

13. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Well, they are sealed inside the hub so I can't really see them. You have to replace the whole hub/bearing assembly on a 458 Italia. When I spin the spindle on the hub, it sounds like crap with loud rubbing and grinding sounds. These are the same sounds I was hearing when I drove it only louder.

14. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How many miles on car?

15. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    right at 25,000

16. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don't think I'll live that long on my cars!

17. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don't think I'll live that long on my cars!

18. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Lol! The hub is on!

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's very low mileage for a hub assembly to be replaced. If that's really the expected life its kind of pathetic as you usually have to do both sides when one side goes. What did you pay for the new hub? Congrats on doing the work yourself by the way. Post some pics if you can we would find it interesting.

20. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    #20 hgoodwiniii, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    I am very surprised the bearings gave out with so few miles on the car; I bought the car used; The previous owner was an amazing person with many Ferraris' under his belt. I got 100,000 plus out of my C4 Corvette before I had to deal with bearings and I was able to just change the bearings without removing the hub or changing the hub. I'm just rolling with the flow. I love having the 458. I paid $2,000 for the hub; I was quoted $3,000 - $4,000 for someone else to do the job. I saved ~$1,000 - $2,000 doing the job myself. The car sounds good now and I'm certainly wondering when the driver's side with go out.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Crazy Ferrari parts prices! Goes with the territory though. My experience similar to yours, 100k miles and do both sides. I always wonder what happened to lifetime grease-able bearings. So easy to repack or replace and cost about $16 and no hub replacement. Very sturdy pieces. Sealed bearings are devil spawn.

hgoodwiniii likes this.