New Ferrari 360 Owner - Question about Engine Temp / Oil Temp | FerrariChat

New Ferrari 360 Owner - Question about Engine Temp / Oil Temp

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stuttgart911, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Hi everyone. So I took the car out for a short 20 minute drive and was watching the 3 gauges on the left (coolant, oil, and oil pressure). The main reason I am watching is because the last time this car was in for major service was 9 years ago and 3K miles. Car has 18K miles. I just changed the oil and am planning to do the full service soon.

The car ran great and I didn't get on it until I saw the oil temp start to climb. The weird thing is the coolant temp got to the 1/4 mark and then stopped. The oil temp started to raise and got to a little over the 1/4 mark. I kept driving and nothing changed for a couple minutes so I got nervous and brought the car back home.

What are your thoughts on this behavior? Did I not drive long enough? I would think the car would get up to full coolant temp as the oil temp is rising, rather than getting to a 1/4 and stopping.

Really really appreciate any comments. I come from Rennlist and the Porsche world where the forums were awesome. I am seeing that Ferrari Chat is very similar.

Thank you!
    Chris

2. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Leave it idling for a bit and the temp should rise and sit at 100C (celcius, whatever it is in F). Whilst driving the temp always sits at around 80C like in the picture.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Why is your oil temp so high?

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  4. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not my car but yeah the oil temp is wrong on that car, but the water temp is spot on.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Totally normal. My '99 does the same exact thing.
    Driven a little longer on a warm day, the coolant temp will get up to just below mid point and the oil temp just below that mark.
    Sitting at idle, after fully warmed, mid point for both is common. Once moving again, both will drop some.
    Cold weather seems to affect both readings by 10* or so. Had the car serviced several times with no difference to the aforementioned readings.