Proper Engine Temp for Oil Change | FerrariChat

Proper Engine Temp for Oil Change

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stuttgart911, Sep 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    So I know about the procdure to refill when warm at idle but what is the consensus on draining.

Should the car be driven 20-30 minutes then drained? How long should I leave it draining? (I have seen some threads where people leave the tranny fluid draining all night and get some more fluid out.

Should the engine still be semi warm when refilled? Or can I leave draining overnight and refill in the morning?

Let me know.

Thank you all!

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Engine oil..drive until about 175 degrees and then drain ..shouldn't have to wait too long for most of it to come out ..can refill pretty much after draining and oil filter change

Gear box ..get warm and let sit as long as you can also blow out line with air as per manual is you want to get as much out

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You just want the engine oil warm and circulated so there isn’t any settling/sediment at the bottom of the pan...it drains out cleaner that way.
    If you want to get every last drop out, I suppose you could let it drain for hours...doubtful that makes that much a difference though. Oil sticks all over, so there will always be some to “contaminate” the new oil. As long as you change it routinely, won’t make a difference. If you have sludge, that’s another story (will have to get rid of it with more frequent changes over time).

As for refilling, makes no difference.